Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">I&#39;m sorry but I had to lure you in cuz I know a lot of ladies wear braids during the transition but I had a few questions myself and I wanted to be able to answer those questions if they come up in the future for others. Also, just so everyone can check this out if they have similar questions!

1. Did you have a set routine of how you took care of the braids? Like did you have a set schedule of when you co-washed or washed your hair and/or deep condition them? For instance, once a week or something like that?

2. Is it ok to use oils (jojoba oil, peppermint oil, etc..) and all that or will that cause the hair to slip out too soon? (Im asking that cuz I can&#39;t use oils on my Sisterlocks otherwise they will unravel so I didn&#39;t know if it was the same with kinkies or braids like if you want them to last longer or something....I hope I&#39;m making sense! :lol: )

3. Can you hot oil your hair while its in braids or is it best to use regular conditioners and just deep condition them?

4. Are kinky twists and braids treated the same way as far as caring for them when you have them in?

5. Does it make a difference if its synthetic or human hair when you wash and condition your hair or is it treated differently? If it is different, how and why?

6. When you do co-wash, do you still need to section the braids/kinkies like you would with loose hair? I&#39;m thinking no, but just in case!

Ok, I think that&#39;s it! :lol: Thanks in advance!
    </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, no you did not just put me on blast! :lol:

Of course I&#39;m happy to help. So here goes! I&#39;m wearing a set of braids right now, that I started putting in last weekend, by the way.

I see you threw in some kinky twist questions and I only had my kinky twists in for less than a month (cuz i did them myself and at the time I didn&#39;t know what I was doing. :lol: ) So my knowledge about them is limited.

1. Did you have a set routine of how you took care of the braids? Like did you have a set schedule of when you co-washed or washed your hair and/or deep condition them? For instance, once a week or something like that? When ever I wear braids I rinse often. *I* usually rinse them everyday (as I do my loose hair) and co-wash once a week cuz that works for me. If I want to shampoo I usually pour a little shampoo in a 32 oz soup and then fill it with water and slush it around to get it lathery and then pour over my head and it marinate while i&#39;m in the shower, sometimes i work it in, sometimes I don&#39;t and then I stand under the showerhead to rinse it out.

2. Is it ok to use oils (jojoba oil, peppermint oil, etc..) and all that or will that cause the hair to slip out too soon? (Im asking that cuz I can&#39;t use oils on my Sisterlocks otherwise they will unravel so I didn&#39;t know if it was the same with kinkies or braids like if you want them to last longer or something....I hope I&#39;m making sense! :lol: ) I don&#39;t normally use oils so I can&#39;t tell you much about them, especially concerning braids. Sorry! I wouldn&#39;t use them though because I know I personally would be proned to alot of buildup. I try to stay away from heavy products in the first place.

3. Can you hot oil your hair while its in braids or is it best to use regular conditioners and just deep condition them? I&#39;ve deep conditioned in braids with no problem. I&#39;ve never done a hot oil treatment in braids tho. Sorry again.

4. Are kinky twists and braids treated the same way as far as caring for them when you have them in? Pretty much.

5. Does it make a difference if its synthetic or human hair when you wash and condition your hair or is it treated differently? If it is different, how and why? It doesn&#39;t really matter what kind of hair you choose (synthetic or human) they both perfrom the same way- except human hair is more proned to dry out, which is why co-washes are a good thing. Get some cheapie conditioner because you don&#39;t want to waste your good hair products on some weave!

Also the synthetic kinky twist hair tends to be ruffer on your real hair (and to the touch) than the synthetic braiding hair.

6. When you do co-wash, do you still need to section the braids/kinkies like you would with loose hair? I&#39;m thinking no, but just in case! Actually, I would recommend washing in sections because the water tends to weigh the hair down alot and it can cause tension on the hair line that can lead to breakage and thinning. I always put my hair in 4 little buns (by seperating the braids down the middle from front to back and then from ear to ear)

ETA: I know Nappy Me, and I think Masoea transitioned with braids wayyyyy back in the day (I said "wayyyy back" cuz they&#39;re nappy vets-- not cuz they&#39;re old :lol They migh have something to add.

Oh yeah, I highly reccommend doing your braids or kinky twists yourself. There are 5 million videos about them on youtube, and its relatively simple even for the style challenged.

Also, you&#39;d be surprised by how well synthetic hair holds up. Its not neccessary to spend alot of money on hair (although if you choose to do them yourself you could probably afford to splurge on hair)
    <div align="center">[color=#CC33CC]You&#39;ve OFFICIALLY been chopped and screwed![/color]</div>

[img]http://manolomen.com/images/barack-obama-in-bowling-shoes.jpg[/img]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I&#39;m not BIT but I can try to help out with this I&#39;ve had micros before and kinky twists ok so lets see.
    #1. I use to cowash my hair every two days and washed my hair once a week with shampoo and deep conditioned after every shampoo.

#2 If your scalp is prone to being try using a light oil on your scalp is perfectly fine. I would say esp. jojoba oil since its closet to the oil our natural skin produces. They never cause my twists or braids to slip and it provided a nice healthy shine to them.

#3 You can hot oil your braids if you know your hair likes oil, I prefer deep conditioners but I know oils work fine as well.

#4. Both kinky twists are braids are treated the same, if your wearing synthetic fibers they both pull moisture from your hair so you need to make sure your moisturizing your hair often, esp if your trying to retain length. I recommend a good braid spray or a homemade spritz of conditioner water glycerin and some oil, sprayed morning and night. Dont be afraid of getting in the shower and just rinsing water through them.

#5 My mircos were of human hair and my kinky twists was fake hair. I treated both of them the same way. I use a special way to wash the twists and micros so that the hair wont get fuzzy to quickly. I usually separate the braids into four parts get shampoo and dilute it with water in a bottle shake and then pour the shampoo directly on the scalp, I would then use the pads of my fingers to massage the scalp with the shampoo, then rinse and sometimes I had to repeat this process to get rid of buildup. then I would do the same with the conditioner, also with the conditioner I would squeeze some into my hands and rub downwards on the actual braids not tugging hard and let the stay on while I washed and then rinse the scalp and hair when finished.

#6 The only reason I might section the braids to cowash was to reach the scalp easier but if your in a hurry you can dilute the conditioner with water in a bottle and pour on your scalp then rinse and go!
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial"> :lol: Thank you so much B.I.T!! You were the only vet that I knew of that transitioned with braids so I had to do it! lol! NowIamNappy, I was hoping you would respond too or anyone that has something to add cuz I&#39;ve had these questions for a long time now! </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I&#39;m not BIT but I can try to help out with this I&#39;ve had micros before and kinky twists ok so lets see.
    #1. I use to cowash my hair every two days and washed my hair once a week with shampoo and deep conditioned after every shampoo.

#2 If your scalp is prone to being try using a light oil on your scalp is perfectly fine. I would say esp. jojoba oil since its closet to the oil our natural skin produces. They never cause my twists or braids to slip and it provided a nice healthy shine to them.

#3 You can hot oil your braids if you know your hair likes oil, I prefer deep conditioners but I know oils work fine as well.

#4. Both kinky twists are braids are treated the same, if your wearing synthetic fibers they both pull moisture from your hair so you need to make sure your moisturizing your hair often, esp if your trying to retain length. I recommend a good braid spray or a homemade spritz of conditioner water glycerin and some oil, sprayed morning and night. Dont be afraid of getting in the shower and just rinsing water through them.

#5 My mircos were of human hair and my kinky twists was fake hair. I treated both of them the same way. I use a special way to wash the twists and micros so that the hair wont get fuzzy to quickly. I usually separate the braids into four parts get shampoo and dilute it with water in a bottle shake and then pour the shampoo directly on the scalp, I would then use the pads of my fingers to massage the scalp with the shampoo, then rinse and sometimes I had to repeat this process to get rid of buildup. then I would do the same with the conditioner, also with the conditioner I would squeeze some into my hands and rub downwards on the actual braids not tugging hard and let the stay on while I washed and then rinse the scalp and hair when finished.

#6 The only reason I might section the braids to cowash was to reach the scalp easier but if your in a hurry you can dilute the conditioner with water in a bottle and pour on your scalp then rinse and go!
    [/b]

I am a NEWBIE and I am transitioning with BOX BRAIDS...this is a really great forum, and I will take the advice, I was always concerned with Washing my braids because I usually end up with a mildew smell on my hair after the braids have dried. I am moisturizing and oiling my scalp, without any braids slipping off. I going to give washing my scalp another try, maybe sectioning off my hair will make the wash a bit better. I have been wearing kinky twists and braids since I decided to go natural back in April.

There are several herbal cleansers on the market now, that wash the scalp without water, have you heard of any such products? I have not had a regimen for caring for my hair while in the braids, because I did not know if I should mess with my braids as much( that&#39;s what I have been trained to believe) :angry: . But I am glad I found this forum , because within the last week of my regiment (moisturizing my scalp, conditioning the braids), my hair is not as itchy nor dry looking as it usually does.

Question: How long should I keep my braids in, should I take them all out and give my hair a rest, or should I just retouch the areas that are in need?

Thanks again for this forum.
    <div align="center">[url="http://lilypie.com"][img]http://lilypie.com/pic/2009/07/21/Ui2O.jpg[/img][img]http://lbdf.lilypie.com/VVImm4.png[/img][/url]</div>

<div align="center">I am on [url="http://www.facebook.com/jonai.sullivan"][color=#CC0000]Facebook[/color][/url]</div>

<div align="center">[img]http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/NuNappyNai/PregnantBeach.jpg[/img]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are several herbal cleansers on the market now, that wash the scalp without water, have you heard of any such products? I have not had a regimen for caring for my hair while in the braids, because I did not know if I should mess with my braids as much( that&#39;s what I have been trained to believe) :angry: . But I am glad I found this forum , because within the last week of my regiment (moisturizing my scalp, conditioning the braids), my hair is not as itchy nor dry looking as it usually does.

Question: How long should I keep my braids in, should I take them all out and give my hair a rest, or should I just retouch the areas that are in need?

Thanks again for this forum.

[/b]
    I&#39;ve heard of those "waterless shampoos" but I&#39;ve never tried them. I think its important for your hair to have water and if you rinse your hair, that should get rid of the dirt.

I don&#39;t think its a big deal if you mess with your braids alot or not, just be careful with your hairline and nape areas.

You should keep your braids in for 6-8 weeks, give or take. I think its best if you let your hair rest after you take your braids out, but alot of folks (including myself) don&#39;t always wait before getting another set. I also reccomend retouching areas that need it and areas that are prone to build-up (as described on the growafrolonghair website).

Hope that answers your questions.
    <div align="center">[color=#CC33CC]You&#39;ve OFFICIALLY been chopped and screwed![/color]</div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUMP!
    Old SN name Soontobenappy
    Transition period 10-6-07 to 6-20-08
    BC 6-20-08 100% Nappy and Loving it!!
    http://members.fotki.com/soontobenappy/ - Finally Updated 4-2013
    Check me on YOUTUBE http://www.youtube.com/user/NowIAmNappy?feature=mhum

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bump.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks b.i.t. this was quite helpful !
    [SIZE=2][color=#CC33CC] [/color]FABULOUSZ? OH YES ii AM![/SIZE]
    awww man last chemical fire cream: September 1, 2008

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got micros in May and kept them for 12 weeks. I washed them once a week and used a mix of oil, water and conditioners in a spray daily. I got Kinky twists almost 4 weeks ago and haven&#39;t washed them......I&#39;ve been spraying with the same mix above but just seem a little scared to wash them for som reason. I know, I know I need to wash them but my question is this. If I do wash them, will I loose the curls on the ends? Will I need ot recurl them? The twist just seems like they will be super heavy if I wet them and didn&#39;t want to put that kind of tension my my hairline/nape. Oh, and I didn&#39;t let my hair rest between micros to twists.
    [b]Last CFC[/b]:[b]April 2, 2008[/b][SIZE=2]
    [b]1st BC[/b]: [b][color=#3333FF]May 9, 2008[/color][/b]
    [b]Final chop to Nappturality[/b]: [b][color=#3333FF]October 3, 2008[/color][/b]

[url="http://public.fotki.com/newnapp08/"]My fotki[/url][/SIZE]

[url="http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/28142338"][img]http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_strip/s/image/28/142/338/comic-p.jpg[/img][/url]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast