Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy sunday ladies and gents of Napp.com. I am trying to do a few last minute scholarship apps and essays because i am no longer eligible for a pell grant due to my moms income. Since i have no money for school out of the pocket...i am forced to search for grants and scholarships. I found the topic to be very interesting. I think the use of the "N" word should be ended for the simple fact that the word is disrespectful no matter which race is comes from. African Americans were so accustomed to hearing that word so often from Caucasians decades ago, especially in the southern states...they took no offense to it...im not saying that it was right to be called that but it was what it was back in those days. Now when i hear someone say "if a white person call me a Nigg..imma eff them up" or something similar to that, i say to myself...now u can call one of your friends a Nigg its called words of endearment....now wait...whats the difference? The word period is degrading and shameful. I think it should be deleted from everyones vocabulary. What's your opinion on the use of the "N" word?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't like, it, but I don't think it should be banned as if you have to pay a $20 fine or whatever for saying it because people are just going to be immature about the whole thing and say it more.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course there cant be a fine for the use of the word because it violates the first amendment rights of freedom of speech. Although its sad that individuals (black and white) still have that word trapped in their vocabularies.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think it'll be more effective to not react when someone says it, as opposed to telling someone that they're not allowed to do so.
    Is this essay topic from fastweb.com?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its from fastweb.com..blacknews.com to be exact. but thats a very good point tho...of course im not the type to tell someone to stop using it. and yes not reacting to the word is the best thing to do. I think not reacting shows you have character and your not gonna stoop to that person's level. my mother always said...empty barrels make the most noise. thank for the imput. keep em comin!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">I know it will never be banned just because its just not possible, but I don&#39;t think we should be using it at all. I don&#39;t understand. When I saw The View and heard Whoopi and Sherri talking about it, I was embarrassed. Endearment???? Come on now. When people have fought and died trying to get people to respect us enough not to use it, I feel like its a slap in the face to them. I just think out of respect we shouldn&#39;t use it. Its even more irritating to me when us as African Americans say it. What is this teaching other races? They don&#39;t get the whole "I can say it but you can&#39;t" thing. They are going to see it as we like it and its cool and therefore continue using it. How can we tell people they can&#39;t say it, but we can? I just think its ignorant but to each their own. I also hate when people say "I&#39;m turning a negative into a positive". <_< I&#39;m just tired of the word I guess. Especially having to always read the paragraphs that had the word in it while in high school because you know how those books are "classics" (a mainly white high school). I&#39;m sure they enjoyed me reading it and saying it and I&#39;m sure the white peole are just crackin up to themselves how we are bascially calling each other what they have been calling us all these years as if they have brainwashed us. :rolleyes: Sorry its coming off kind of harsh, but that&#39;s how I honestly feel about it.</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually programmed myself not to say it anymore One year nigg-free. I cringe when i hear other people use it.

Now on the question:

That whole "it&#39;s a term of endearment" is bull because that word is quick to fly out of a person&#39;s mouth if they get into a fight or argument. WHere is the endearment there? Prime example...the nappy-headed ho controversy...so it&#39;s ok for black men to call us that but not a white man on radio because it&#39;s a term of endearment when it comes from a black man...yea ok :rolleyes:

I believe we are also the only ethnic group that uses the term so openly...in music, out in the street etc. And i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE hearing hispanic kids use it...cuz if we would refer to them by their derogatory names they would flip. No one has a right to use. The meaning still stands.

Using the name just shows that in some aspects our people have not progressed
    [url="http://community.webshots.com/album/563576086zDlVcY?vhost=community"]http://community.webshots.com/album/563576...vhost=community[/url] New album...because I wasn&#39;t going to pay for fotki

[SIZE=2][b]Love Makes Your Soul Crawl out From It&#39;s Hiding Place[/SIZE][/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the idea that any word should be "banned" (as far as one can do so under the limits of the constitution) is ridiculous. Words absolutely do have power, but that power changes form in different situations.

The N-word is certainly used by many blacks as a term of affection, and I think most black people in this country understand this. Whether or not you like it is a different story.

The theory that using a word in an argument negates its dual nature is a fallacy. A group of girlfriends might call each other "b_tch" affectionately, but that word will take on a whole new connotation if one of them says it to a stranger or an enemy. There are myriad examples of this in the English language (the word "queer" being used by gay people, the difference between a black woman playfully calling her man "boy" and his white boss calling him the same, etc.).

There are so many more important things to worry about in our struggle (yes, it&#39;s still a struggle) for equality. I think that people tend to rally around this one word because it&#39;s easier to change outward manifestations of a problem than to strike at its core. Banning a word is like chopping off the top of a weed when the true remedy is to dig your hands into the soil and pull it out by its roots.

Personally, I would rather be called that word by a white person up front and know where they stand than put up with some of the sneakier under cover ways that racism affects us. Them calling me that word doesn&#39;t degrade me one bit, rather their use of it with the intent to be hateful reveals something very pertinent about them.

And we all know racism comes in insidious forms that even non-racist white people don&#39;t understand. It&#39;s the racism that causes us to make less money, pay more interest, have a lower quality of health care, get slower police/EMT response times, and generally experience a lower standard of living than our fellow non-black Americans that needs to concern us. Eradicating a word won&#39;t solve any of those problems.

And what if we woke up tomorrow and the N-word was wiped out of the mouths of every person on the planet? Would that make racism one iota less powerful? Would that make people who are prejudiced against black people any less bigoted? Would our ancestors not have been enslaved and raped? Would we still have to worry about whether our nappy hair will prevent us from getting a job?

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

snicy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">I know it will never be banned just because its just not possible, but I don&#39;t think we should be using it at all. I don&#39;t understand. When I saw The View and heard Whoopi and Sherri talking about it, I was embarrassed. Endearment???? Come on now. When people have fought and died trying to get people to respect us enough not to use it, I feel like its a slap in the face to them. I just think out of respect we shouldn&#39;t use it. Its even more irritating to me when us as African Americans say it. What is this teaching other races? They don&#39;t get the whole "I can say it but you can&#39;t" thing. They are going to see it as we like it and its cool and therefore continue using it. How can we tell people they can&#39;t say it, but we can? I just think its ignorant but to each their own. I also hate when people say "I&#39;m turning a negative into a positive". <_< I&#39;m just tired of the word I guess. Especially having to always read the paragraphs that had the word in it while in high school because you know how those books are "classics" (a mainly white high school). I&#39;m sure they enjoyed me reading it and saying it and I&#39;m sure the white peole are just crackin up to themselves how we are bascially calling each other what they have been calling us all these years as if they have brainwashed us. :rolleyes: Sorry its coming off kind of harsh, but that&#39;s how I honestly feel about it.</span>[/b]
    [/b]
    ITA. I just kept shaking my head. I also have a hard time taking Whoopi seriously on her outlook of the "N" word after her whole Ted Danson roast.

I believe we are also the only ethnic group that uses the term so openly...in music, out in the street etc. And i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE hearing hispanic kids use it...cuz if we would refer to them by their derogatory names they would flip. No one has a right to use. The meaning still stands.
    Using the name just shows that in some aspects our people have not progressed
    [/b]
    Exactly. How come we are the only race where this is okay? I don&#39;t hear any other ethnic groups calling each other racial slurs so openly. That kills me.

I just don&#39;t understand the justification of the word. To me, that will always be the word that was used when Black men (and women) were lynched and we all know where the term "picnic" came from.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA. I just kept shaking my head. I also have a hard time taking Whoopi seriously on her outlook of the "N" word after her whole Ted Danson roast.
    Exactly. How come we are the only race where this is okay? I don&#39;t hear any other ethnic groups calling each other racial slurs so openly. That kills me.

I just don&#39;t understand the justification of the word. To me, that will always be the word that was used when Black men (and women) were lynched and we all know where the term "picnic" came from.[/b]
    "Picnic" does not come from lynching blacks. Check out Snopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast