Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is what...two years old? How the heck did I miss it!!!

The big 5-Oh here. Stopped perming in early '02 around March or April. That would have put me at about age 41 with me turning 42 later that year.

But I didn't start getting relaxers til I was 23 years old so I was no stranger to my natural texture. I just hadn't seen it in awhile.

It really wasn't a hard decision. I didn't agonize over it. I wasn't scared to do it because my nappy hair really wasn't foreign to me. I simply looked in the mirror and had a big ah-ha moment. If I wanted to stop the breakage (ha how naive) once and for all, I had to let go of the perm. So I just stopped, cold turkey and never looked back.

Now in all fairness, I had no intentions of wearing my natural texture. Save wearing it in either locs or a fro, neither of which were appealing to me, I didn't have a clue how to style natural hair. Nope, so the plan was to go back to the old school press n curl. I never had breakage from that back in the day like I'd experienced with a perm off and on for nearly 20 years.

In the meantime, I wore micros as I grew my hair out. Ended up loving them so much I stayed in them three years straight and intermittently in the fourth year. In between times I wore a press n curl.

Found NP in Feb of 2006. By then I had about 7 or 8 inches of hair. Doesn't seem like much after having worn braids for four years, but for a long time, when I would remove my braids, I'd simply cut into my own hair to get them short enough to take down. At that time I didn't have an emotional attachment to my hair. It didn't matter that I was cutting my own hair with the fake stuff cause I was covering it up anyway. But one day, after I got all my hair down and saw how thick and healthy it was for the first time in almost 20 years it occurred to me that I might someday want to wear my OWN hair. So I started being more careful about where I cut the braids so I'd stop cutting into my length.

So after getting to NP, it took a minute, but I stopped using heat and learned how to care for and style my hair right here on this board. Hanging out here also helped me get rid of hang ups I didn't even know I had about natural hair.

On another note, I have to say I don't mind hanging out with the "babies" on this board. Keeps me young!
    Last edited by Napia Mia; 12-14-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavadava View Post
    I think I am the only survivor on NP!!
    Nope...you are not alone. Welcome to NP!
    5th year of freedom...

DrBee2B is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was back in nappy to stay in 2002. I first went natural in 1996, when after being a salon-rat--standing appointment every Thursday morning--I moved to Fl. My stylist suggested that I go natural, actually, and she guided me through my transition. I didn't know anyone at all in Florida and didn't want to have my hair messed up. LOL--the first shape-up I got down there was jacked up though! Anyhow, after going back and forth between straight and natural, I just took the final step in 2002. I didn't find this website until I was looking for hairstyles for my wedding in 2004! I twist my hair, wear a twist out, a puff, or, a baa when I'm feeling like I need a confidence boost.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my 1st perm at 18yrs. Went natural soon after. It was just the begining of a cycle that would last over 20yrs. As far as I can remember, I've been trying to go natural(except for my 20s when I went for years without breaking the perm cycle). I hit age 40 and I was getting desparate, so I went natural again. This time covered my hair with weaves and braids. Then caved in again to the lye. Finally at 43 I had had enough. I was frustrated at not being able to just...wear my hair. I was also trying to live a healthier life - toxin free. I didn't know any natural heads. I decided I would have to blaze the trail and not care what anyone thought. I went online and found NP. I remember how shocked I was to discover that not only did other women exist who had gone natural but that there was a website dedicated to going natural. This was in 2004. It was on NP that I learned WHY I had all those failed attempts and realised I had to change my mind-set and relationship with my hair. I've been natural for 7yrs now and worn locs for 51/2yrs in total. I will never EVER go back to the LYE.

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did my BC a few months before turning 41. Saying it loud older nappy and proud.
    True love begins with loving what you see in your mirror-Chanelle
    BC 05/28/10
    TL 6/21/13-TD 8/01/13
    SL 11/27/13
    http://www.naturallyc2u.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 Pages. Start a new thread if you wish ladies!
    Become PANK or BLUE!!!! Ask me how!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910