Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

younger napptural has stepped in :P

just wanted to say hello and i hope everyone is doing good!!!!!

:P ttyl

cc88!!

okay youguys can kickme out ^_^
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

SilverQ is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta co-sign on this too <_< though I&#39;m about to get Internet at home again and I&#39;m making a solemn vow to keep my addiction under control this time... :lol:
    [/b]
    Yeah right...

SilverQ
    &#39;Education as the Practice of Freedom&#39; bell hooks

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started my transition this year at 44. I think it took me so long because I kept looking for a haircare professional to assist me with my journey and I finally realized that was not going to happen.

This is a good place to connect with others in your age range who understand that for many it is a psychological journey but who also know once you get to be over 35 you care less and less what others think.
    12th year of freedom

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello all,
    I&#39;ll be 42 next month and this is my fourth time going natural. I&#39;ve been napptural a year and locked for 11 months. I don&#39;t post that much and lurking works fine. I&#39;ve gotten many good tips from this site as well as many laughs. I am usually on here all day while I should be working which is now! Good meeting everyone!

msdeevan is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Checking in ...I decided to go natural in my late 40&#39;s close to 5 years ago.

I had wanted to do it for a long time. I was never into going to the salon . I hated the waste of time and energy and all the rest that went with going to the salon. and I never wanted that bone straight shiny look that so many black women love.

I made my final decision after i got sick and I noticed the top of my hair was thinning out. There are so many older black women that are slaves to wigs or have very little sparse hair and that&#39;s not what I wanted for myself so I took the plunge and just started cutting my long, relaxed hair up as the new growth grew out.

That was the best thing I ever did and I don&#39;t regeret it for a minute.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I&#39;m calling on all sisters who adopted their napptural hair after the age of 30 to encourage others in a similar position. Sometimes I feel lost in a room of teenagers on this site and I would like to be reassured that I am not alone in my journey. This is more than a teenage whim, but a journey for anyone with kinky, curly hair regardless of age. Let&#39;s support each other.
    [/b]

Hello,

I decided to change into a Napp Girl when I was 40. I&#39;d think of how great it would be if I could just wash my hair and style it without all of the aggravation of the blow dryer and curling irons, curling rods etc... I loved styling my hair and wanted the freedom of wearing ponytails, twists, braids and even curls without chemicals and tools. I saw other race (s) of women wearing their hair natural and thought: I want natural hair.
    I actually wanted to do this earlier (in my 30&#39;s) but didn&#39;t research what I&#39;d need to do to take care of my hair in its natural state. Once I got educated, I decided to save my hair while I still had some on my head to save! Good Luck!!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 54 year old nappy signs in to say that I sure am glad to see that the number of over 40s is growing here on the site.

I&#39;ve been natural all my adult life. Never had a perm, but I did use the flaming hot tool of hair torture back in high school. I went off to college in &#39;72 with an Afro and never looked back. After sporting a huge &#39;fro for about ten years, from 1982-2006 I settled on a twa. When I decided to ditch my barber in&#39;06 I knew next to nothing about caring for a head full of natural hair. All I knew was that I wanted a change. Five months into hair growth and, quite frankly, on the verge of going back to my barber out of frustration I stumbled on this website and learned (from many younger nappies here on this site) everything I need to know about caring for and styling shoulder length nappy hair.

I look forward to exchanging styling and hair care ideas with women who are my contemporaries.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Nappiejean, no r.elaxer all your adult life!??

:clap:

Just curious, was it deliberate or just a passive action.
    <div align="center">Last CFC - April 19, 2008
    BC - August 22, 2008

I'lll always be a GA nappy
    </div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

How did I manage all these years to avoid a perm?

Much of my adult life has been in academia where you&#39;re likely to find lots of nappies. All that reading and teaching about history, culture, politics, and race have a way of keeping you up to date on how subjugated peoples are influenced by their oppressors and make you tend to constantly interrogate your own values and sense of beauty. I simply never was tempted to perm nor press.

Even now, I haven&#39;t had this much hair and this length of hair in over 30 years. All those years of wearing a twa I never had to fret over how to wear my hair. Growing my hair out was probably part of a middle age transition thing. But I love it. I love being nappy. Always have.

Kalia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went natural at the age of 35. I am now 40 and although at times I contemplate going back. I am like the girl in "Coming to America" when she says "naah". Being natural has helped me in many ways embrace my true self. Being a sufferer of alopecia too the benefits of going back are simply none. I regret not staying natural from childhood because perhaps my scarring alopecia would have never occurred.

I have informed my daughter that she will not be allowed to perm her hair. If she chooses that as an option she will be an adult doing so. She checks out the site with me occassionally and I show her the progress that some of us have made. She seems to be encouraged so we will see.

Our hair in it&#39;s natural state is best.

Nappiejean-Kudos to you. I just told my daughter about you
    "Look at those who have less than you and never look at those who have more than you,
    this will ensure that you will not belittle the favours of God"
    (Sahih Muslim)

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast