Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello to my fellow Nappturals!

URGENT: WE NEED THE SUPPORT OF THE NATURAL HAIR COMMUNITY!!!

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration is trying to draft a law that would put small, independent cosmetics, hair care, and personal care manufacturers out of business.

This is serious business! If you want to continue to have the right to buy hair and cosmetic products from small companies, YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED RIGHT NOW!

If the draft legislation for the "FDA Globalization Act of 2008" becomes law, every handmade cosmetic product -- like natural lip balm or shea butter hair conditioner -- would essentially be treated the same as a drug -- like Tylenol -- and would have to get approved by the FDA before it can be sold. We think that's insane! Not to mention, getting FDA licensing would be so expensive that small businesses (most of which are women-owned) couldn't afford it, up to $12,000 per year. We believe in safe cosmetics, but this isn't the way to do it. If this "FDA Globalization Act of 2008" becomes a law, a lot of your favorite small companies are *poof* gone.

Did you know that many cosmetics companies that are "big" today -- Carol's Daughter, Burt's Bees, and Estee Lauder -- pretty much started at someone's kitchen table, and would NOT have survived if this legislation existed when they first started?

Did you know that small cosmetics and hair care companies are ALREADY regulated by the FDA? As reputable business owners who care about the health and safety of our customers, we are already working very hard to make sure we are in compliance with EXISTING laws about safe manufacturing, approved ingredients, labeling, and advertising claims. We want safe products as much as everyone else -- we just think there's a better way to do it than the current draft of this legislation outlines.

Did you know that this Act is supported by big corporations -- who only recently went "natural", when it was the SMALL companies that have always been the foundation of the growth of the "natural products market"?

j.blossom (my own company) and all the other "little guys" need your help! What can you do? You can click here and sign the petition (scroll down to "comments" and sign there with your name, city and state) and join more than 1,800 others in showing your support for j.blossom and all the other indie cosmetics companies. Tell the FDA that you don't want to be limited to what's on the shelves at Wal-Mart.

Time is of the essence. Sign the petition today, and pass it on to your friends.
    http://www.indiebusinessblog.com/indie_bus...the-fda-gl.html

As founder and "Chief Joy Officer" of j.blossom and co., I'm honored to be one of four companies selected to represent members of the Indie Beauty Network, our trade organization, on Capitol Hill on Tuesday, August 5. That's right, along with IBN's president Donna Maria Coles Johnson, we're essentially having a "five-woman March on Washington"!

A lot of the products discussed here on Nappturality.com are made by companies who are members of the Indie Beauty Network: http://www.indiebeauty.com/directory/

WE NEED THE SUPPORT OF THE NATURAL HAIR COMMUNITY!!!

We'd like to get 2,500 signatures before 9AM Eastern time on Tuesday, August 5. Even if you get this message after August 5, please sign the petition anyway, because our battle is ongoing.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Jamila

Jamila White, Chief Joy Officer
    j.blossom and co.
    http://www.jblossom.com

*fun, natural bath & body products for girls!*
    [SIZE=2]Jamila White

Jamila White, Chief Joy Officer
    [b][color=Magenta]j.blossom and co.[/color][/b]
    [url="http://www.jblossom.com"]http://www.jblossom.com[/url]

*fun, natural bath & body products for girls!* [/SIZE]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just signed the petition you have my full support. I hope all of us on nappturality sign the petition we are stronger in unity.

red_980 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I signed the petition.
    Thank you for making me pink, anonymous contributor!

Last CFC - March 7, 2008,BC - June 28, 2008

My Fotki - Updated Jan 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/realrednapps/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signed!

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank-you for posting this! I not only signed the petition but I also sent an e-mail to virgil.miller@mail.house.gov to let him know again! I hope that enough people get the word out about this! I personally would like to know what other business owners (such as Oyin, I can't go with out my Oyin) think of this.
    With Christ,obediance(please help me Holy Spirit),persistance,patience and His grace, all things are possible!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will sign as soon as I post this. I can't belive the FDA has nothing better to do. All the commercial hair and beauty products out there that can cause permanent damage to a person's skin and hair, and there's a witch hunt starting over natural products? I make most of my own things, but it took me a while on this journey to learn how. I'd hate for other nappies, new or veteran, to be discouraged b/c the only products they can find are full of harmful chemicals and irritants and only available at stores like Walmart and Korean beauty supply stores.

The Land of Elves, before the time of Men
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will sign as soon as I post this. I can't belive the FDA has nothing better to do. All the commercial hair and beauty products out there that can cause permanent damage to a person's skin and hair, and there's a witch hunt starting over natural products? I make most of my own things, but it took me a while on this journey to learn how. I'd hate for other nappies, new or veteran, to be discouraged b/c the only products they can find are full of harmful chemicals and irritants and only available at stores like Walmart and Korean beauty supply stores.
    [/b]
    They're twitching because they can't control (aka profit from) those products, and of course that's also money that tehir cronies in big business cannot get their grubby mitts on. Think about it: companies like Qhemet, Oyin and Anita Grant (even though she's based in England) do hundreds of thousands of dollars of business per year. That's money that the government cannot have access to, and that pisses big business and the gov. off.

Of course they'll lie their backsides off and claim it's because those products aren't subject to the same standards of purity and quality control that major corporations are... but that's a bunch of hooey.

Signed, and emailing several politicos about my displeasure over this <_<

utamu is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any email addresses we can send our thoughts to? I&#39;m not sure if online petitions are that effective..

ms_rite is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will sign as soon as I post this. I can&#39;t belive the FDA has nothing better to do. All the commercial hair and beauty products out there that can cause permanent damage to a person&#39;s skin and hair, and there&#39;s a witch hunt starting over natural products? I make most of my own things, but it took me a while on this journey to learn how. I&#39;d hate for other nappies, new or veteran, to be discouraged b/c the only products they can find are full of harmful chemicals and irritants and only available at stores like Walmart and Korean beauty supply stores.
    [/b]
    ITA especially with the bit in bold - the amount of problems I&#39;ve had with commercial products - dyes, relaxers etc peeling my scalp off its untrue...and they want to regulate natural products? I think they have a long way to go with regular black haircare products...like Miss Nicole P said they are just in on this growing market esp as it seems everyone and they mama is selling natural products.... :unsure:

The Land of Elves, before the time of Men
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any email addresses we can send our thoughts to? I&#39;m not sure if online petitions are that effective..
    [/b]
    Your best bet is to contact your local representatives/congressmen/women. Other than that, sending editorials to newspapers, magazines, etc can help get the word out as well.

Find your congressperson here: http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/index.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast