Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[[First let me say, this topic was not started to advocate flat i.rons, h.ot combs, etc. Nor was it started to share tips for achieving straight styles...I simply wanted to ask a question.]]

If you haven't gathered by now, this thread is about flat i.rons. My question is: what's the big deal? I've never straightened my hair since my bc (I haven't wanted to, but I've also been too scared because of the heat archives...lol), but I still wonder what's the problem when ppl do? Although, I personally will never do it, it just seems like a style option more than anything else. Yes, it does sometimes cause irreversable damage, but in reality, braids, puffs, and other styles can do the same thing if not used wisely. And yes, by choosing to be natural you make a commitment to give up straight styles, but what's wrong with a little variety?

I guess my thing is just because you want to wear your hair straight for a day doesn't mean you have some deep seeded self-hatred or anything to that affect. Maybe you just want a change, similarly to the way permies will curl their hair sometimes or naturals will wear twists, twistouts, braids, etc. Although these styles don't 'fight' our natural hair texture they way flat i.roning does, they still require a little something more than wash'n'go.

Once again, I'm just asking a question...Not trying to promote these things. I would just like to hear others' opinions.
    <div align="center">LAST CFC: JULY 2006

BC: FEBRUARY 15, 2007
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...40280_4296.jpg

AUGUST 2008
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...1c311e73e9.jpg </div>

Samielle1 Guest

I agree that just because one straightens their hair, doesn&#39;t mean they have some hatred towards their hair. Many times, its simply just a style, but the site doesn&#39;t allow for topics like these and doesn&#39;t advocate any types of straightening. I admit, very rarely, but i do flat flaming hot tool of hair torture my hair just because i want a temporary change and i never had any damage. As long as you take care of it, i don&#39;t see the problem, that&#39;s with anything.

But that&#39;s my opinion.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that just because one straightens their hair, doesn&#39;t mean they have some hatred towards their hair. Many times, its simply just a style, but the site doesn&#39;t allow for topics like these and doesn&#39;t advocate any types of straightening. I admit, very rarely, but i do flat flaming hot tool of hair torture my hair just because i want a temporary change and i never had any damage. As long as you take care of it, i don&#39;t see the problem, that&#39;s with anything.

But that&#39;s my opinion.
    [/b]
    Thanks for your opinion...and I hope this doesn&#39;t get shut down before I get to hear different perspectives :unsure:
    <div align="center">LAST CFC: JULY 2006

BC: FEBRUARY 15, 2007
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...40280_4296.jpg

AUGUST 2008
    http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...1c311e73e9.jpg </div>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the reason why heat is not promoted is because a lot of women use heat to "fix" their napps, and although I agree that to associate one&#39;s "mentality" with their hair is a bit much (whether you&#39;re pro-nappy or anti-nappy), a site that is unapologetically about natural, kinky hair needs to exist.
    Because of the damage (possibility) it presents and because of how much women use heat to make their hair straight along with thinking that heat is the only way to have variety in styles, heat usage is not allowed as a topic for discussion. This site is supposed to be 100% catered to kinky hair.
    There is nothing wrong with using heat, though. We just don&#39;t talk about it here.

Samielle1 Guest

Well, the reason why heat is not promoted is because a lot of women use heat to "fix" their napps[/b]

Well, in that case, what would be the difference in &#39;fixing&#39; napps with a twistout or braidout? ur basically doing the same thing, minus the risk of damage. ur trying to make ur hair look like something its not.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with "something" and Sam
    <strike>Currently Transitioning</strike>
    BC: July 19, 2008

My Fotki- SMALL UPDATE 5/18/09~~~ [b]<span style="color:#993399">"I guess ignorance is still in style."[/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do people seriously not read the mission statement?all your questions are answered there.. really they are.. it&#39;s not that hard to understand. well maybe it is because there are regularly 5011 threads asking this same "why can&#39;t we discuss what we&#39;ve been asked not to discuss :crying: " question

but to summarize : this particular site is for people to learn to accept their napps as they are, no changes in texture, that includes heat and relaxers.

people can do what they want to their hair but the owner of this site has made it clear that she doesn&#39;t want certain things discussed and since she&#39;s the owner, then guess what we don&#39;t discuss.......?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn&#39;t think "fixing naps" when women wear twist outs or braid outs. Twist outs and braid outs are a result of a style being taken out, whereas a lot more women use heat to get rid of the knks completely. Heat makes the hair straight, and that&#39;s considered to be more "acceptable" out there than not doing anything to make it straight. Dee is challenging this through this site.
    You bring up a point, but hopefully someone can better articulate what I&#39;m trying to say.

Samielle1 Guest

I wouldn&#39;t think "fixing naps" when women wear twist outs or braid outs. Twist outs and braid outs are a result of a style being taken out, whereas a lot more women use heat to get rid of the knks completely. Heat makes the hair straight, and that&#39;s considered to be more "acceptable" out there than not doing anything to make it straight. Dee is challenging this through this site.
    You bring up a point, but hopefully someone can better articulate what I&#39;m trying to say.
    [/b]

I understand what ur trying to say, but banding and stretching and all that seem pretty much like the person wants to wear a straight style to make it less nappy.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sami you seriously can&#39;t see the difference between heat and a friggin twist out? :unsure:

i must be PMSing...but i just can&#39;t ...

i can&#39;t....

:help:

runs screaming from this thread and prays that the goddess kali enters not into her soul

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast