Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello my fellow comrades:

I have type 4 hair which is extremely tightly coiled, and am considering getting small individual braids done with my hair only. My hair is approximately 5-6 inches all around (not including 1 inch short spots around my front edges. What are the pros and cons, other than my hair locking sooner due to its texture. The stylist told me that I could keep the braids in for approximately 1 to two months without them locking if I moisturize and moisturize everyday.
    Hair type: 4AB
    Last CFC: 6/13/10 (texturized)
    "I am important".

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have type 4 hair which is extremely tightly coiled, and am considering getting small individual braids done with my hair only. My hair is approximately 5-6 inches all around (not including 1 inch short spots around my front edges. What are the pros and cons, other than my hair locking sooner due to its texture. The stylist told me that I could keep the braids in for approximately 1 to two months without them locking if I moisturize and moisturize everyday.[/b]
    That's about how long I keep mine in. Taking out individual braids has always been time consuming for me.
    My fotki!
    ~small June update~

ajulover is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pro for me is that braids can stay in for a while; it's a great protective style. The con for me is as time goes on they start to shrink and then stick up in all different directions. I only keep mine in for two weeks.
    BC: August 10, 2007

http://public.fotki.com/ajlulover/- updated 9/14/09

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pros
    • You can keep them in FOREVER.
    • You don't have to do your hair for a while.
    • It's a protective style, which allows for length retention.

Con

• Your hair will loc if you leave them in too long.

Tip: Embrace the shrinkage, since you can't fight it.
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been in box (individual) braids since June. I took them down and redid them last weekend with no locking problems. I have been in the loc forum and conditioner is the enemy to loc... so just keep your hair conditioned and they should be fine.
    The only person that you have to please in life is God. Stop trying to figure things out and force things to happen. Get as close to God as possible because He is the one that knows the plans for your life and He is the one that can make them happen.[size=5]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love box braids, you can definitely keep them in for long periods of time without worrying about locing. I usually keep mine for two weeks, but I would have no problem keeping them a whole month and my hair locs easily (I've had it starting budding after wearing 2 strand twists maybe 10 days but rinsing a couple of times during that period) I wash and condition as usual, that is once or twice a week and don't even put any moisturizer or leave in on it. I used to hate having my hair braided as a kid, now it's one of my fave summer style. :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have type 4 hair which is extremely tightly coiled, and am considering getting small individual braids done with my hair only. My hair is approximately 5-6 inches all around (not including 1 inch short spots around my front edges. What are the pros and cons, other than my hair locking sooner due to its texture. The stylist told me that I could keep the braids in for approximately 1 to two months without them locking if I moisturize and moisturize everyday.
    [/b]
    My daughter has very kinky coily hair and I keep her box braids up for a month without her hair locking because I moisturize her hair and spray it daily with water and olive oil.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with what everyone else has said.

As long as I keep my hair moisturized and well condition I dont have any problems

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity