Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I see a lot of nappturals with headbands on, and when they take them off their edges look fine. So why are my edges breaking and receding after I take off my headband? What's up with that? Should I drop the headband entirely or is there a certain material I should use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ You should probably stop using them entirely if you want the breakage to cease.

Welcome to NP!
    My Travel Blog | October 2007 Napptural of the Month (still looking for the link)

"The reward for conformity was that everyone liked you except yourself."
    ~Rita Mae Brown, Venus Envy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should probably stop wearing them for now, and when your edges are nursed back to health, wear them sparingly. I noticed some breakage on my sides from when I was wearing puffs on a regular basis. So, I understand your dilemma. I think the key is to limit the hairstyles which cause some type of stress on the edges. If you want to wear your headbands, fine but just not on a daily basis. HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How often are these girls wearing headbands? You ought to be careful because they (the headbands) can cut off blood flow to your scalp, which you need for the hair to grow (or to be there at all :P).
    IA, let go of the headbands for a while. Try a scarf every once in a while if you're scared to use headbands.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i was a puff queen but i saw the damage i was causing so I cut back considerably...
    I have freed many slaves and could have freed thousands more if they only knew they were slaves ~ Harriet Tubman
    JAN 2010 UPDATES!

fotki.com msdimpled1

Maryah04 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

those headbands can do some damage! Are you using snagless ones?(dont have metal on them)

Other alternatives are: flowers, buttrflies, cute clips and cute scarfs. I just go to fabric store and have them cut whichever fabric i like

HTH!
    http://i35.tinypic.com/2dun9v.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/308f5kx.jpg

Whether you openly say anything or hide it, surely, Allah is All Knowing of all things. (33.54)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, any tension pulling hair back can/will cause receeding. Scarves are a bit more gentle..but the whole manipulation and brushing thing will cause receeding. I babied my hair. Locking was the only thing that made my edges come back because I leave my edges alone now. I was loose for 2 years before I learned that I could not do the afro puff thing without loosing my hairline-and that's what cause me to go natural-loosing my hairline with relaxers!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it think you should stop wearing them. i used to wear a headband almost everyday and that broke of my edges! i think the people you see on here with headbands and ok edges probably don't wear them often, or use the tie ones instead of the ones you have to pull back.
    "whatever you fight, you strengthen, and what you resist, persists."
    -eckhart tolle

weepsyboo Guest

I see a lot of nappturals with headbands on, and when they take them off their edges look fine. So why are my edges breaking and receding after I take off my headband? What's up with that? Should I drop the headband entirely or is there a certain material I should use?
    [/b]
    I started wearing lots of hair wraps and I put a plastic cap on first, and then I wrap my hair. It keeps my hair moist and my edges safe.
    MY NEW FOTKI

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    My issue I got from using a personally made headband (bra strap), I ended up having a bald spot in the top center of my head, underneath a fairly good amount of hair. Initially, I couldn't figure out how it happened, but the more I sectioned my hair and did other things, and I realized the sensitivity of that area, I realized, how tight I was making my headband. I suggest using something that doesn't have as much tension and using it less frequent. I stopped using the bra strap and got braids or flat twists or something, just until it grew back. I still do use the homemade headband, but usually, when I want my hair to really lay. And I don't do it so tightly.
    [SIZE=2]"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it."
    ~Henry Ford[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast