Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, everyone, for your responses!

Hadasah, I love your idea of starting with big quadrants and then going smaller. I actually do this now although on a larger scale: I put my hair into quadrants and then put in a fixed number of fat twists (3 or 4) in each. However, I divide by hand; I don't really part my hair neatly. I guess here's my chance to practice! I'll make sure I have mirrors on hand though...

Still nervous though...I parted what I thought was a decent-sized square and did a braid and it was micro-sized. I'm just afraid I'm going to have big gaping areas of scalp BUT I know that the brick method of parting might help minimize that. Also my face is sooo fat... I think I'm going to try this while I'm out of town over the holidays and if I don't like it I'll just take them out.

NM, for some reason I'm not seeing your pictures. I'm using Chrome though; I'll see if I can see them in Firefox.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So glad I visited this thread! I, too thank Hadasah for the parting tips. When school's out, maybe I'll practice...or maybe try today?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem!

Lbell, if you're worried about scalp showing, I guess you could make the bigger sections as neat as you can and then use your fingers to section the individual braids. It's probably easier to do brick layering with your fingers for now, anyway. How many braids are you going to make?
    Also, if you're not worried about tangles, maybe rinsing your scalp after finishing braiding will puff up your roots some.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

****bump****
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Maintaining Box Braids

Quote Originally Posted by blackbeauty398 View Post
    okay, so after taking down my box braids I have come to realize a few things.

1) If you have a fair amount of dandruff, wash your hair often. Personally, I wash mine twice a week. This helps get the flakes out and not embed in the braided hair. This will still happen but keep the amount down.

2) If your hair is 4 inches or less, it is fine to do small box braids. Longer hair needs larger braids or the ends will tangle and suffer. I just learned this myself. I have been wearing box braids as a frequent style since my hair was 3 inches.

3) When wearing box braids in the winter time, pamper your ends. This means either baggying or massaging some type of moisturizer in them.

4) It is okay to condition your hair while in box braids. I didn't think so at first but discovered my hair would get dry in between washes even after applying moisturizers.

5) Your hair type depends on how long you can leave them in. Some people's hair will loc after a period of time. I can wear mine for two months IF my dandruff isn't bad during those two months.

6) When taking box braids down, it is very very important to get all the shed hair out to prevent tangling. These can cause knots and break your hair off unecessarily, especially when using this as a protective style.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope the additional info helps
    Thank you...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345