Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put braids in my hair without added hair. I want to know how to keep this stlye for a while. How long is too long to leave them in? How can I wash them, and what can I use to keep them fresh after they get washed.
    I transition for 9 months total!
    Last perm February 06.
    BC'ed November 5, 2006
    Fotki-Jaydago, and Jaydagor
    PW:tweety bird for both

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To wash: use a stocking cap or not, put shampoo or co wash in your hands and rub together (not a lot), pat it softly onto each section and squeeze the sections to spread the shampoo around and DON'T ignore your scalp OR better yet if you don't have dandruff use some african pride or africa's best spray on shampoo.
    To keep fresh: use fantasia tea tree naturals serum or a regular braid spray.
    Don't forget some type of strengthener or leave in conditioner, your hair still needs moisture, I use profective hair strengthener or some jamaican mango and lime

Hope I helped
    [/size][/size][/b][/i][size=2][color=#000099]People are so often; illogical, inconsideration, and inconsistent, forgive them anyway :D

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use a stocking cap cause I can't rinse the dandruff flakes out properly when I wore one. So experiment with that. I normally wash my hair once a week then either I put world of curls or qhemets aohc and ohhb on it. Helps keeps my ends soft. For my scalp, I apply vatika oil to keep the flakes at bay.
    Now, normally I can leave my braids in for a month or so without any locing whatsoever but your hair
    may be different. It's okay to use conditioner when your hair is in braids too. Another important thing is to expect frizz. It's going to happen, no way to prevent it and it's okay.

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank U ladies
    I transition for 9 months total!
    Last perm February 06.
    BC'ed November 5, 2006
    Fotki-Jaydago, and Jaydagor
    PW:tweety bird for both

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay, so after taking down my box braids I have come to realize a few things.

1) If you have a fair amount of dandruff, wash your hair often. Personally, I wash mine twice a week. This helps get the flakes out and not embed in the braided hair. This will still happen but keep the amount down.

2) If your hair is 4 inches or less, it is fine to do small box braids. Longer hair needs larger braids or the ends will tangle and suffer. I just learned this myself. I have been wearing box braids as a frequent style since my hair was 3 inches.

3) When wearing box braids in the winter time, pamper your ends. This means either baggying or massaging some type of moisturizer in them.

4) It is okay to condition your hair while in box braids. I didn't think so at first but discovered my hair would get dry in between washes even after applying moisturizers.

5) Your hair type depends on how long you can leave them in. Some people's hair will loc after a period of time. I can wear mine for two months IF my dandruff isn't bad during those two months.

6) When taking box braids down, it is very very important to get all the shed hair out to prevent tangling. These can cause knots and break your hair off unecessarily, especially when using this as a protective style.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hope the additional info helps

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. Wow, really!! No wonder. This is great to know. I can never seem to get my small braids loose without snapping ends off. Yet big braids are hard for me to make since my ends are so fluffy. Time for a plan C.
    3. Almond oil is my sealer of choice over a good moisturizer
    5. Important for naturals to know, also when it comes to twists. More than a week of twists means starting locs for me, while it means week two of twists for others.
    6. If I want to wear a braidout, I will Denman my hair when time to wash so that shedded hair gets out.

To Jaydago, I spritz rose water (Whole foods) and sometimes rose water and lavender oil in my hair too keep it smelling fresh. As for your scalp, you can condition wash with two small drops of peppermint oil.
    <div align="center"> My hands have made both heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the Lord, have spoken. - Isa 66:2

http://public.fotki.com/Copa-canary</div>

My Photography
    http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/...5m_1dd81e4.jpg
    BC September 7, 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

2) If your hair is 4 inches or less, it is fine to do small box braids. Longer hair needs larger braids or the ends will tangle and suffer. I just learned this myself. I have been wearing box braids as a frequent style since my hair was 3 inches.[/b]
    Hi all! ^_^

I think smaller braids work just as well on longer hair. Currently, my hair is what I consider medium length, approx 13 inches last time I checked and I wear smaller sized boxbraids all of the time. Right now I&#39;m wearing a set that I&#39;ve had in for almost 4 weeks and I have no plan of taking them down any time soon. I don&#39;t get tangles or any suffering either.

I co-wash or rinse them whenever I get the urge and try to deep condition once a week or so (but I get lazy sometimes and lapse on that one).

A mixture of conditioner and oils (jojoba, olive, and peppermint are the ones I use most often) keep my braids soft, moist and it calms the frizz down a bit after I&#39;ve rinsed or washed. Although, I don&#39;t mind the frizz or shrink age that I get.

I basically leave my hair alone and don&#39;t fuss with it much when I wear my hair like this. Mostly wear it down or in a ponytail or bun, but every once in a while I spice it up with an updo or something funky. Otherwise, I keep it simple and have no problems with small boxbraids in my hair.

Hope this helps.

Also, Check out Melanizm&#39;s or Delushious&#39;s albums. They have a lot of hair and wear small braids often. Delushious in particular does hers ultra tiny and seems to get lots of wear out of them. I would share my album, but I closed it a while ago. Maybe I&#39;ll find a pic to post later.

God luck with your braids ladies.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2. Wow, really!! No wonder. This is great to know. I can never seem to get my small braids loose without snapping ends off. Yet big braids are hard for me to make since my ends are so fluffy. Time for a plan C.
    3. Almond oil is my sealer of choice over a good moisturizer
    5. Important for naturals to know, also when it comes to twists. More than a week of twists means starting locs for me, while it means week two of twists for others.
    6. If I want to wear a braidout, I will Denman my hair when time to wash so that shedded hair gets out.

To Jaydago, I spritz rose water (Whole foods) and sometimes rose water and lavender oil in my hair too keep it smelling fresh. As for your scalp, you can condition wash with two small drops of peppermint oil.
    [/b]
    Hmm maybe try sealing the ends with either ic fantasia gel with sparklelites or aloe vera gel. Both can be mixed with a bit of oil so that it&#39;s not so hard.

And true Whitley Gilbert, not everyone&#39;s hair tangles in small braids. Just my hair said no more lol

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all! ^_^

I think smaller braids work just as well on longer hair. Currently, my hair is what I consider medium length, approx 13 inches last time I checked and I wear smaller sized boxbraids all of the time. Right now I&#39;m wearing a set that I&#39;ve had in for almost 4 weeks and I have no plan of taking them down any time soon. I don&#39;t get tangles or any suffering either.

I co-wash or rinse them whenever I get the urge and try to deep condition once a week or so (but I get lazy sometimes and lapse on that one).

A mixture of conditioner and oils (jojoba, olive, and peppermint are the ones I use most often) keep my braids soft, moist and it calms the frizz down a bit after I&#39;ve rinsed or washed. Although, I don&#39;t mind the frizz or shrink age that I get.

I basically leave my hair alone and don&#39;t fuss with it much when I wear my hair like this. Mostly wear it down or in a ponytail or bun, but every once in a while I spice it up with an updo or something funky. Otherwise, I keep it simple and have no problems with small boxbraids in my hair.

Hope this helps.

Also, Check out Melanizm&#39;s or Delushious&#39;s albums. They have a lot of hair and wear small braids often. Delushious in particular does hers ultra tiny and seems to get lots of wear out of them. I would share my album, but I closed it a while ago. Maybe I&#39;ll find a pic to post later.

God luck with your braids ladies.
    [/b]

Whitley,Girl I was just about to seek you out hair twin!!! I just put in my 2nd set of box braids. The first time I tried them I DID NOT like them, but this time round, I love them! Working full time and going to school, I need a no fuss style that will last through the long haul. Just a few questions for you.

1.) I didn&#39;t braid all the way down to the ends b/c I wanted to make sure that I could get the braids out
    once the time comes to redo them. Is this a good thing, or should I go though and braid down to the
    ends?

2.) I have already washed/rinsed them (I use auruveda sp?) and that seems to be working just fine, and
    I am using a leave in, but since my ends are currently out, should I be sealing them like I do with my
    twists with an oil at the ends, to keep them extra protected?

3.) Girl, do you know if you will open your album back up? You know hair "stalkers" like me need our fix!!
    :lol:

4.) When you deep condition, do you find it difficult to rinse out the condish? Or do you "water it down"
    before putting it into your hair?

5.) any other suggestions you have for either of us? Like I said this is really only the first time that I&#39;ve
    done the box braids without extensions, and with planning on keeping them in for atleast 2-3 months,
    and I want to make sure I can do this for the long haul. Thanks for your help!
    With Christ,obediance(please help me Holy Spirit),persistance,patience and His grace, all things are possible!

Reviews
    Read 4 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bumping................................. hoping Whitley Gilbert will pop her head back in
    With Christ,obediance(please help me Holy Spirit),persistance,patience and His grace, all things are possible!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast