Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All. I'm new on the scene and I have finally decided to go natural. I'm about 8 weeks into transitioning and I have already accumulated many new products for the beginning stages of my natural hair. Only problem is-- I don't know how to use them and in what amount. I'm totally confused. Okay, I shampoo'd my hair with an all natural peppermint shampoo (castile soap) then I conditioned with VO5 Milk(I forget the whole name), then I deep conditioned with Olive Oil ORS. I also applied a Motions Leave In-since my whole head is still mostly chemical fire cream. WHat do I do next? Do I blow dry my hair? Let it Air dry? Apply some hair oil (like jojoba oil)? I also bought extra virgin olive oil. What am I supposed to use it for? Deep conditioning? Moisturizing?

I know I have many questions, but if anyone can tell me what to do in what order--it would be greatly appreciated. I have done some research on this site and while products are listed, I haven't seen anyone give the order or steps we newbies should follow. Please give me some advice. I really want to grow natural healthy hair. But I need help. I'm also very excited for this journey.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Heavenly, welcome to NP and congrats on your decision to go natural!

I think that so far you have a great start as far as products. Usually, once you find what products work for your hair, you can fall into a routine and your transition will become easier. I think as far as cleansing and conditioning your hair, you're okay so far. The only thing I want to point out is to make sure that you are diluting the castile soap plenty enough, because it can be very drying to your hair if you use it in excess. Also, you can try a technique called "no-pooing" in which you can use conditioner to wash your hair instead of shampoo. Some nappies like this technique because you can still clean your hair without drying it out with shampoo. Here's a link about it:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...72445&hl=no-poo

After you clean your hair, you can moisturize with the olive oil, or try other natural products like shea butter, coconut oil, honey, and many, many other options. The general rule of thumb is that the more natural the product the better. You can spend some time in the homemade and commercial hair sections to get some ideas for good product choices, and try some out, or even try mixing some of your own up.

As far as styles, it's easier to get your straight ends to look like your new growth instead of vice-versa. We don't promote straightening or using blow dryers on your hair here on NP, because heating can damage your hair greatly, and it's unnecessary. You can create beautiful, versatile styles without heat, and your hair will be so much more happier!

Some ideas for transitioning styles are roller-sets, twist-outs, braid-outs, flat-twists, bantu knot-outs, and cornrows either alone, or in combinations. These styles are great because you don't have to over-manipulate your hair or comb it often, which can encourage breakage where the two textures meet. Also, they are VERY CUTE and can last you a few days, so you don't have to worry about daily styling.

Here are some links to help you out for style ideas:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...36519&hl=styles

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/index.ph...18056&hl=styles

Also, looking at transitioning albums can help give you some ideas and motivation to stay on your journey!

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions, don't be afraid to ask!
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for your advice. After washing my hair with these new products, it felt so soft...which for my hair just doesn't happen. I'm thinking about transitioning with wigs since my temples are sparse due to tight weaves and over processing. My only question is how do you know what represents "healthy hair" ?? Does soft hair mean healthy? Does no breakage equal healthy? My hair is pretty thick despite the temples. It's also very, very dry. I try sleeping with a satin scarf, but bonnets and scarves do nothing but fall off my head.
    If anyone has any other advice to share about transitioning or other hair advice that would be great!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Healthy hair is clean, moisturized hair that isn't bogged down with build up from products. Your hair may get dry at times, just due to the nature of our hair, but that might just mean that you need to deep condition or pay good attention to the ends.

Breakage happens, but you can keep it to a minimum but keeping the hair moisturized. When it's dry, it's easier for it to break off.

You can try a satin pillowcase if you have a hard time keeping a bonnet or scarf on.
    http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ka7/cake-1.jpg

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." ~Mohandas Gandhi~

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank u!!! I guess I have to get a satin pillow case then. Yea, I'm really worried about breakage especially transitioning with wigs- which tends to dry out my hair. I really really really want to get the kinky twists but I'm worried it's going to destroy my hairline. I'm determined to see this process through, but I'm constantly worried about my edges-breakage, etc. Ahhhh........

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you don't want your edges to break off make sure you make it clear to whoever is going to do your hair not to make it too tight. This why people's hairline disappears because of the stress on their edges. Keep your hair moisturized with a spritz. You can go into the homemade forum for tips and ideas of what to make your spritz out of. This will help prevent your hair from drying and breaking off. And if your going to wear a wig make sure your hair is moisturized underneath throughout the day.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been roller setting my hair . I sit under a hooded dryer just to knock off some of the water and then let it air dry and go to work the next day.