So I have this massively thick main of tightly curled coarse hair. It's like if an African lion had an afro....

Because of it's thickness (and partially my laziness...I like ease of grooming), I tend to have my hair shaved down to 1/4 of an inch in length. No muss, no fuss. I can get in the shower, wash, rub something on my head and go (that'll be a whole different problem by the way).

My current boyfriend (who is not black and does not understand the pain of braiding xD) wants to see my in cornrows. Now, I've only had my hair cornrowed (with extensions) once since I was like, 7 or 8 years old, and that was 5 years ago during my senior year of high school. Right now my hair is about 5 or 6 inches in length when I uncurl a coil....can I get my hair braided WITHOUT straightening?

I've had my hair straightened several times over the course of my lifetime, and the only person that didn't BURN my head was a fellow African American woman. I've grown up in Green Bay, WI...I was one of only 6 black children in my entire elementary school. Needless to say there were no hairdressers for the African American women in town that my family knew of, for if you weren't a Packer player's wife or child, you had no idea where to go to get your hair done.

My mother really did not have much choice but to take my sister and I down to Milwaukee to have our hair done when we were little because she had no idea how (caucasian mother, we're all adopted). The only kid's head she did was my brother's, because all she had to do was shave it off. Can't mess that up :-p

So, getting back on track:

#1 Can I get my hair braided WITHOUT having it relaxed
#2 Can any of you recommend some hair dressings that aren't so blasted greasy and heavy (my hair is terribly dry)
#3 Any suggestions of where I can actually FIND someone to do the braiding
and #4 any ideas on cost?