Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

So I have this massively thick main of tightly curled coarse hair. It's like if an African lion had an afro....

Because of it's thickness (and partially my laziness...I like ease of grooming), I tend to have my hair shaved down to 1/4 of an inch in length. No muss, no fuss. I can get in the shower, wash, rub something on my head and go (that'll be a whole different problem by the way).

My current boyfriend (who is not black and does not understand the pain of braiding xD) wants to see my in cornrows. Now, I've only had my hair cornrowed (with extensions) once since I was like, 7 or 8 years old, and that was 5 years ago during my senior year of high school. Right now my hair is about 5 or 6 inches in length when I uncurl a coil....can I get my hair braided WITHOUT straightening?

I've had my hair straightened several times over the course of my lifetime, and the only person that didn't BURN my head was a fellow African American woman. I've grown up in Green Bay, WI...I was one of only 6 black children in my entire elementary school. Needless to say there were no hairdressers for the African American women in town that my family knew of, for if you weren't a Packer player's wife or child, you had no idea where to go to get your hair done.

My mother really did not have much choice but to take my sister and I down to Milwaukee to have our hair done when we were little because she had no idea how (caucasian mother, we're all adopted). The only kid's head she did was my brother's, because all she had to do was shave it off. Can't mess that up :-p

So, getting back on track:

#1 Can I get my hair braided WITHOUT having it relaxed
    #2 Can any of you recommend some hair dressings that aren't so blasted greasy and heavy (my hair is terribly dry)
    #3 Any suggestions of where I can actually FIND someone to do the braiding
    and #4 any ideas on cost?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, i think I can help with most if not all of your questions:

#1 Can I get my hair braided WITHOUT having it relaxed

Of course! You can try stretching it first (do a search on the site for "banding" or "bantu knots"). I always stretch my hair overnight in bantu knots after I wash it. On my hair, it looks the same as if I had blowdried it.

#2 Can any of you recommend some hair dressings that aren't so blasted greasy and heavy (my hair is terribly dry)

I'm partial to using Infusium 23 leave in conditioner all over and then sealing with castor oil(a little goes a long way).

#3 Any suggestions of where I can actually FIND someone to do the braiding

If you're still in Wisconsin, I have a homegirl who just moved up there for school and she braids like none other... PM me if you are interested

and #4 any ideas on cost?

It's hard to say. Braiding cost is different everywhere you go. Generally speaking, if you're in an area with few black people, you'll be paying a lot. Plus if you get hair braided in with yours, that usually costs more (and lasts longer) than getting your own hair braided.
    Be careful taking hair advice from someone whose hair you've never seen.
    Bad spelling and grammar from adults are the bane of my existence.
    Solution for dry hair = water + castor oil (now say thank you)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP! I hope that you are able to find pleanty of information here . Imnotmyha1r gave you some great advice and hopefully you do PM her to get the hook up! I don’t have anything to add except for that braiding your hair should not hurt your head! If it does it’s because the braids are too tight. Try using a different braider and tell them not to braid too tight.
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was little I was taught/told that it was supposed to hurt because they had to be tight to stay in for so long, so painful braiding is all I've ever known x.x

On top of that, I admittedly have a bit of a tender scalp.

I've never gotten to pick my braiders, so I don't know what to look for. Heck, going through some of the stuff on this forum that you ladies do with your hair made me go O.O!!!! Because I just jump in the shower, wash, and get out...I like things quick and easy (thus the general shaving of the head)

red_980 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was little I was taught/told that it was supposed to hurt because they had to be tight to stay in for so long, so painful braiding is all I've ever known x.x

On top of that, I admittedly have a bit of a tender scalp.

I've never gotten to pick my braiders, so I don't know what to look for. Heck, going through some of the stuff on this forum that you ladies do with your hair made me go O.O!!!! Because I just jump in the shower, wash, and get out...I like things quick and easy (thus the general shaving of the head)
    [/b]

Braids that are done too tight could cause alopecia. It is possible to have nice braids that do not cause pain. There are a lot of ladies on here who have experienced hair loss from tight braids. OP be careful!
    Thank you for making me pink, anonymous contributor!

Last CFC - March 7, 2008,BC - June 28, 2008

My Fotki - Updated Jan 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/realrednapps/