Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:lol: @ those pics! I have the same problem, if you look in my hair album I have some similar pics. What works for me is conditioner washing the heck out of them. And when they start sticking up again no matter what I do...it's time to redo them.

Living abroad? Thinking of moving, or just moved back? Check out the Expat Nappies group!

Don't forget to THANK PANK!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just put mini braids in. I never have them sticking up unless thats the direction I braid the hair. If I braid down thats the direction the braid lays , or to the right or left etc... I however braid my hair sometimes with a little pomade because its heavy and helps lay the hair down better. I never braid on wet hair.

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LMAO at the braid pics and Coolio's face! I love the twists...they are too cute!

I've never had the problem of mine's sticking up and out but wetting them and maybe pinning them down, putting small perm rods on the ends, or tying them down at night might help.

and once again LMAO at the photoshop of Coolio!
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you braid a very tight stitch qwhen compared to your twists and that's why the stand straight up.

Definitely wet them.

If you braid tight they probably last longer but a looser braid will behave more like twists--that includes swelling up and shrinking like crazy. They probably won't stick up either. Your braid stitch looks pretty tight to me.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do your braids as you normally do then wet them and tie them down. Or you can just rinse them thoroughly and let them air dry, that should help.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you start at the back and work your way up, you can spritz afterwards (if you braid on dry hair) and try braiding close to ends as possible. Braiding on wet hair should help and use some type of hair product on your hair before you braid, (butter or hair lotion). If it turns out okay make sure you post pics. HTH
    Napptural 10 years and counting

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A. Your twists look awesome!!!!
    B. If you do them very small, they won't have much weight and will stick up a litte. Also, when you do them very tight (as in the braid, not tight on the scalp) then they will come out very straight with no curviture (like twists) so they will stick in the direction that you braided them. Try to braid downward next time and see if that makes a difference. When my braids are done, I always wet my hair and set them (in a bun, or pin them in the direction that I want them to fall). You can manipulate your braids in many ways when their wet.
    If I didn't do this, they would stick kind of out and down rather than straight down. Then again, I never wear my box braids down because of the scalpy look. :unsure:
    Jater is right, try braiding on wet hair if you don't. My braids fall more when they are done on damp or wet hair. However, I never braid to the ends because that's just asking for tangles imo.

My hair is very very nappy and doesn’t do well in loose styles, not even for a day, unless I’m willing to redo it every night. Which I am not. <_<

I’ve been wearing twists for about 6 weeks, taking them down to redo them every 2 weeks. While I really like the twists, after one wash they get really frizzy and start to mat. With the time I spend doing them, I’d like to get at least a month out of them. So, I decided to try box braids because my hair doesn’t frizz or mat and shrinks less in braids. I can also keep them in longer. The problem is they end up very stiff and stick straight up. I cannot walk around looking like the second coming of Coolio. :angry:

My hair lies down with twists so why does it stick up with braids? Is it possible I’m braiding too tight and making them stiff, or is it the size I’m doing them? :unsure:

Does anyone else have this problem?

Twists: :yes:

Braids: :icon_headshake:

[/b]
    <div align="center"> My hands have made both heaven and earth; they and everything in them are mine. I, the Lord, have spoken. - Isa 66:2

http://public.fotki.com/Copa-canary</div>

My Photography
    http://img34.picoodle.com/img/img34/...5m_1dd81e4.jpg
    BC September 7, 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started twisting on wet hair a couple of months ago. So when I started box braiding I did the same. I usually rub down the sections of hair with heavy cream and I always braid down. HTH
    http://public.fotki.com/iloveblu/ UPDATED 4.10.09
    ***ThiS AbovE AlL ElsE, To ThinE OwnselF Be TruE***

Last cfc:Dec. 25, 2007
    BC: April 10, 2008
    http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_s...53/comic-p.jpg
    www.psycyourmind.blogspot.com

Oasis is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the replys!

I wet them yesteday and it worked. At first. Once my hair started drying the braids slowly starting sneakin&#39; and creepin&#39; back up. I finally decided to just take them out.

I&#39;ll eventually try again but for now I&#39;m sticking to twists.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK--LMAO @ THE PICS WITH COOLIO&#39;S FACE. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why did you do that? Why? :lol: Oh my God, laugh of the day right there. I&#39;m crying! :lol:

Alright, back to the topic at hand. If you&#39;re not braiding downwards, I believe therein lies your problem. When my hair is untamed I just wrap it snuggly in a silk scarf or a hat overnight and that usually lays my hair down.
    Your crown has been bought and paid for. Wear it.
    Anti-consumerism. Anti-corporation. Anti-sheep mentality. Support small business. Support black-owned business. Support fair trade.
    Respect yourself, love yourself. Live in light. Do good, be good, feel good.
    Accept your face, your skin, your body, your hair.

...STILL staying on hiatus until I get my life and my ish together...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast