Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I was itching to try the HP method, so I tried it. While it seems to have gone okay, there are a few things that I'm not liking. #1. The appearance of the gloppy, gelled soap. It's wayyyy ugly. :angry: I just don't like its texture. #2. I don't like having to continuously stir it and wonder if the 1/2 hour stirring is really necessary. Before I started to stir, soap looked better. I also made a few errors with this mixture, by adding additives at trace instead of waiting until my mixture was cooked. But it's all in the mold and looks like the color has lightened a bit. The most exciting part is that I'll be able to use it sooner.

I actually divided up the mixture and made the other half Cold Process (CP). It looks beautiful in the mold but it took about 5 hours to get hot and gel. This is probably the result of me using some unorthodox oils that were hanging around my house and I got to wondering if I could rid myself of them by making soap. :blush:
    Well, it's all about the experimentation and I've scratched my creative itch for the moment.

I've got a camera and as soon as I learn how to work it, I'll post some pics.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an update on my HP soap. I cut it and everything looked good as far as the process was concerned.
    Made great bubbles when I used a piece. But it was hideous, so I grated it up to do a rebatch. The rebatch looks so much better, I also doctored up the scent. I'm feeling much better now.

The CP batch I did looks really good and I'm very pleased with it.

I learned a lot through all of this experimentation. I will try HP again, using a few tried recipes and pure oils as oposed to blended oils that I experimented with. I'm sure I'll get a better result. Still, the gel like consistency makes me wonder what all the fuss is about HP. Also, I'll try doing it in the crockpot or double boiler, see how that turns out.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't constantly stir when I HP. I check it every 15 mins. give it s stir and then check and stir 15mins. later.

I don't like the look of HP soap either but I have seen some that looks wonderful but they have been trimmed and cut to perfection LOL!!! I do love the fact that you can use it right away and I do think it is more moisturzing when I HP.

I would give you some links but all that stuff is in my other computer that died. I am trying to get my links back this time I am putting everything under google bookmarks so if this computer dies I will still have my links.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The jury is still out for me as far as HP goes. It is an interseting change from the normal CP soaping, but I don't really like the suds that come from it in the end. I once made a batch that was heavy on the hemp oil and it had a really cool green cast to it, but again the suds left something to be desired...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I got my hands on a crockpot and my second batch of HP soap went very well. The first time around I put my soap in the oven, didn't cover it and got tired of stirring it. (I didn't stir every 15 min.) I'm sure this led to it's downfall. In the crockpot, I could see it through the clear lid. I stirred about every 15 to 20 min,
    I added my essential oil (EO) after the cook and everything went great. I still think HP should cure for a few days, some say a week; but DH is sudsing up with a bar tonight! I've only washed my hands with it and it seems to be sudsing up as well as the cold process piece that I tried. But can't make a real comparison until I suds up with both.

Jorjeni, interesting that you say you find the HP more moisturizing. I will pay attention to this. Do you find that soaps with butters and oils are more moisturizing than soaps with just the oils? I find that HP makes a really hard bar. Or could it have been the oils? I included Red Palm Oil in this batch.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I got my hands on a crockpot and my second batch of HP soap went very well. The first time around I put my soap in the oven, didn't cover it and got tired of stirring it. (I didn't stir every 15 min.) I'm sure this led to it's downfall. In the crockpot, I could see it through the clear lid. I stirred about every 15 to 20 min,
    I added my essential oil (EO) after the cook and everything went great. I still think HP should cure for a few days, some say a week; but DH is sudsing up with a bar tonight! I've only washed my hands with it and it seems to be sudsing up as well as the cold process piece that I tried. But can't make a real comparison until I suds up with both.

Jorjeni, interesting that you say you find the HP more moisturizing. I will pay attention to this. Do you find that soaps with butters and oils are more moisturizing than soaps with just the oils? I find that HP makes a really hard bar. Or could it have been the oils? I included Red Palm Oil in this batch.
    [/b]

I have only made HP soap with Coconut oil, palm oil and Olive Oil or Rice Bran oil. I keep it simple I have a recipe I like and I experment with scents and additives like lavender buds. I use the same recipe for my CP soaps as I do for my HP soaps.

I make my HP soap in a double boiler I use the crocket pot instructions I got off the internet.

My main problem is I need a good mold for my soaps. I have a verical mold I can use for CP but this little wooden box I made for my HP soaps. I would really love a good mold. I have been looking and looking and just can't seem to find what I am looking for to suit my needs. OH WELL!!!

This year has been bad for me and my soaping. I really miss it but next year ITS ON!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean about the molds. I bought a small, wooden soap mold with a lid, inexpensive.
    My problem comes with lining it. Something about lining it prevents it from being completely square. Like the lining isn't completely fitting into the corners well and I don't know how to make it fit! I'll keep working with it. I've been using saran wrap. Maybe I need freezer paper or something. My son is getting me another mold for xmas, but it's wooden and it's going to be lined as well.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what you mean about the molds. I bought a small, wooden soap mold with a lid, inexpensive.
    My problem comes with lining it. Something about lining it prevents it from being completely square. Like the lining isn't completely fitting into the corners well and I don't know how to make it fit! I'll keep working with it. I've been using saran wrap. Maybe I need freezer paper or something. My son is getting me another mold for xmas, but it's wooden and it's going to be lined as well.
    [/b]
    Freezer paper is what I use and you do get some lines but they look square but not perfect.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use these molds when I mke HP. Scoop it in and bang the bubbles out and bob's your uncle! LOL I like them though because they stack on themselves and are easy to store.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

abp, those soap molds look good and the price is right. Jorjeni, I tried the freezer paper and it worked a lot better. For now, I'm going to stick with the molds that I've got and work with the freezer paper. I'm fine with the HP suds. I think I'm going to focus on being creative with additives and scents. I've been learning a lot about oils and the sap values and how some can make the bar hard or soft and also what type of suds the oils make.

I posted some soap pics in the homemade section. Should I be posting in that section? I'm not getting a lot of feedback there, maybe there aren't many soapers on board, or maybe that category is inappropriate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast