Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a technique for applying henna that gives you the benefits (strengthening etc.) without getting that red color?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think and Im not 100% sure that as long as you dont add anything acidic in your mix you should be fine

hopefully someone will pop in and confirm that

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot confirm Cerendipity's comment but I do know about Cassia Obovata. Cassia Obovata is often called "neutral henna". It will give you the benefits of henna without the color.
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

nedney is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I 2nd the Cassia as well but it's not as strong and the benefits doesn't last as long as henna.

If you want to use henna then I also 2nd what Cerendipity said (and again I'm not 100% sure either )as long as you don't add any acidic mixes (like lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, etc) you should be okay, another thing I've been reading about henna is if you're doing it for conditioning and not color is to mix it and apply to hair right away (because if you let it rest for a couple of hours color will start to release) and once it's in your hair to only leave it in for one to two hours (because again if you let it sit on your hair longer you will start to get color). Hopefully the henna heads will also come in here and confirm tell you more and to let me know if I was correct in what I told you.

Hope this helped a little
    "I am not fat...I am traditionally built and many men like it this way." ~ The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if you really don't want the color your best bet is to go with Cassia. I've never used it, but like TianaTamara said, I've heard the effects aren't as strong and it doesn't last nearly as long. Now, as far as not adding anything acidic to the mix to prevent dye release, I wouldn't say that's 100% and this is coming from my own experience.

I've only used water in my mix before and didn't wait the required amount of time for dye release. I did it because I wanted to fit the treatment in instead of waiting overnight. I don't mind the color, but at the same time, the color isn't what I'm doing it for. I still got dye release with just a water mix. And it still dyed my hair and I only left it on for about an hour and a half to two hours.

So, while I won't dispute that if you mix it and apply immediately you're less likely to get dye release, I just wanted to throw that out there as a caveat that that's not foolproof. You'll have to decide for yourself if you're willing to take the risk.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the info. I guess i'll do some more research and maybe give it a try when I'm home for break.