Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi All!!! I'm in the 4th month of transitining and I'm still focusing on different styles to do with my hair. I've had kinky twists for about a month, now I have box braids going on 2 months. I'm the type of person that loves to contanstantly changhe my hair. So for the month of Janaury I was thinking about getting a full sewn in weave. The problem: How do I moisturize my hair underneath??? I've already chopped my hair low-- so that's why I have braids in. I enjoy washing them and moisturizing them everyday but for those of you who choose the Weave method-- what steps do you take to take care of your hair -- do you still wash it? I'm probably going to buy the yaki perm straight hair-- so I'm not even sure if you can wash it? Pleassse Help!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s why I don’t like weaves, because it’s very difficult to take care of your natural hair underneath. I hope someone can give you some advice if they have transitioned with a weave before. My advice would be to not leave it in your hair for too long and if you can’t find a way to take care of your hair underneath the weave, don’t get it. Good luck on your transititoning journey!
    Last CFC: November 2004 BC & 100% Natural Since: March 25, 2005 (8 yrs!)
    View "My Hair Journey" (Parts 1 - 3) at: https://www.facebook.com/tiana.townsell/photos_albums
    Ms. Nappturality 2008, Ms. Black Washington USA 2009 The journey is the reward

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice!! Anyone else have any experiences with a full sewn in weave???

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you get a weave, I think it is easier to use a moisturizer that you can spray on your hair. This way you can just part the hair and spray your natural hair with the moisturizer and go on to the next piece.

You can wash your hair. I put my hair into four sections and wash section by section. You can try diluting whatever you usually wash with, with water, and put it in a large cup and pour it over each section or use a sponge or applicator bottle to concentrate it into your hair more easily. I make sure that what I use gets into my hair by squeezing my braids, so that they suck up what I am putting in. Then rinse the same way just make sure you rinse really well. Try not scrub or rub your natural hair, at least the exterior parts like your edges too much because it will become frizzy.

And make sure your hair dries properly b/c it may not be able to dry quickly and when you take it down it will be smelly.

HTH :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am currently transitioning and I've had a few weaves so far. I took care of my natural hair by spraying the braids with a leave in daily, and moisturizing the scalp. I have a lot of growth but I wouldn't recommend the full weaves back to back or for more than a month or two. HTH
    Transitioning........EXTREMELY scared and excited at the same time....

minz is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have weave in now as part of my transition period. I wanted a full weave but opted not to get one because I'd need a bang in the front but I don't want anything touching my face(acne).

However, you can wash your hair with weave. I'm just gonna go to the hairdresser every two weeks and let them do mine.In the event that you can't afford that or don't have time or whatever, my hair dresser told me that you can also use cotton balls and wipe astringent on the scalp. That clears dirt away. As for the actual weave hair, you can wash it with regular shampoo(so I've been told...never tried it, lol) but MAKE SURE to get ALLLLLL the water out. Don't want it to start to mildew.

It is important to keep YOUR hair well moisturized, but don't try to moisturize the weave itself. All it will do is suck up the oil and cause everything to stick to your hair...in no time that will be really funky smelling and heavy, lol, and we don't want that. I plan to just use some castor oil and rub it on my scalp and my hair once a week, because I don't even want the scalp and hair too oily under there.
    No siggie necessary :-)