ljam4u is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So yes, while fumbling around on the Innanet (yes, Innanet :lol: ), I came across this madness:

Avatar: The Last Airbender casting

Then I saw the side-by-side comparisons of the characters here: Side-By-Side Comparison

Avatar fans, what's wrong with this picture?

Non-Avatar fans, a quick note in case you're going "but I don't see a problem":

1) They picked the lightest pictures of the animated characters they could find, ignoring that two of those characters look much darker most of the time.

2) They cast said characters with white folk.

3) This was the perfect opportunity to cast this film with a diverse cast considering that Avatar is popular and filled with diverse characters -- and they bungled it by whitewashing the cast. I&#39;m all for colorblind casting, but this was just too much for me. <_<

Non-Avatar fans:

hanako is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JESSE MCCARTNEY as Zuko? :shocker: Are you f***ing kidding me? really? you couldn&#39;t find any other child stars to play this role? I mean seriously, I would have rather seen one of the Harry Potter kids cast in that role before Jesse freakin&#39; McCartney. I hope that changes, but we will have to see....

To quote a post on one of the websites "... the 4 nations won&#39;t be very different from each other if everyone is a white american... ". well said IMO
    [b]The pleasures outside our mind give us quick fixes but have side effects. The true source of happiness is not out there. It is in you. - Kelsang Chogden</span>[/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JESSE MCCARTNEY as Zuko? :shocker: Are you f***ing kidding me? really? you couldn&#39;t find any other child stars to play this role? I mean seriously, I would have rather seen one of the Harry Potter kids cast in that role before Jesse freakin&#39; McCartney. I hope that changes, but we will have to see....

To quote a post on one of the websites "... the 4 nations won&#39;t be very different from each other if everyone is a white american... ". well said IMO
    [/b]
    Yes. Jesse McCartney. I wonder if he&#39;ll break out into song? :rolleyes: <_<

Seriously, Avatar fans across the net (and of all races) are enraged. It doesn&#39;t help there are people going "well, they could always get TANS". Yes. Tans.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just knew M. Night Shymalan would f this up.

Katara and Sokka, are purposely shaded darker than Aang on the show, why would they get the whitests of white kids to play those roles?

The voices of Zuko and Uncle Iroh were done by Asian actors, come frickin on.

Sometimes I can&#39;t even tell if people actually know they are racist.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon did incredibly well, you can&#39;t tell me Asian actors don&#39;t sell.

We should start a petition or something

I&#39;m not even sure I want to taint my final impression of Avatar with this mess.

The final episode was awesome, I loved it. I would have loved to see a Zutara thing happen, but it still ended well.

They even cast them too young, gawd I&#39;m angry with M. Night. Why did they give it to him? He hasn&#39;t had ONE good film since 6th Sense, he SUCKS!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I thought I was looking at an Aryan nation brochure. Who will play Toph? Dakota fanning?

I hope other fans boycott the movie. I am.

[COLOR=purple][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=purple][I]Last night an angel came to me
    Woke me out of sleep
    Said "Girl you best get on your feet don't miss the ride."[/I][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=purple][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][I]Last night that angel spoke to me and [/I][/COLOR][COLOR=purple][I]said [/I][/COLOR]
    [I][COLOR=purple]"Let's be wild and free. The impossible is possible just wait and see."[/COLOR][/I]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

y&#39;all knew Shamalame was gonna screw this up :angry: I&#39;m just gonna slap this right up with the damn Dragonball movie. WTF :angry: BOO. Dude, they can just give me a new animated movie and I&#39;ll be happy
    diyandfly.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should start a petition or something

[/b]
    Someone has started a letter-writing campaign: Aang Ain&#39;t White Letter Writing Campaign

I thought I was looking at an Aryan nation brochure. Who will play Toph? Dakota fanning?

I hope other fans boycott the movie. I am.
    [/b]
    :lol: LOL Dakota Fanning -- people were casting Hannah Montana and Stephen Colbert for fun.

y&#39;all knew Shamalame was gonna screw this up :angry: I&#39;m just gonna slap this right up with the damn Dragonball movie. WTF :angry: BOO. Dude, they can just give me a new animated movie and I&#39;ll be happy
    [/b]
    Yesss, an animated feature would have been so much more better! People seem to forget that there&#39;s a lot of adults who watch animated movies. Shoot, anime/animation is most of what I watch!

Here&#39;s another good piece on the madness from the Angry Black Woman blog: Say It Isn&#39;t So

hanako is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ointlaugh: at "Aryan nation brochure".

@ OP: If he breaks into song, I hope Toph knocks him upside his head with the heaviest projectile she can manipulate. lol. Oh, and hooray for skin cancer!!!

@ Nicklicious: It would be wise for Shamalamadingdong to take notice of the reactions from Avatar fans. He can&#39;t just pull this out of his *** and expect it to be successful b/c the fan base is niche crowd of older kids and adults who won&#39;t fall for usual Disney movie marketing ploys, IMO. If he screws this up, it may be the end of his directing career.

ScorpionOcean: my BF said the same thing about the Dragonball movie. lol. cosign on another animated movie? I was quite happy with the last one!

I will wait to view the previews but so far, the BF and I have no plans to see this movie. I will venture to say that he should also consider some East Indian actors. Didn&#39;t Slumdog Millionaire receive good review?
    [b]The pleasures outside our mind give us quick fixes but have side effects. The true source of happiness is not out there. It is in you. - Kelsang Chogden</span>[/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh. Total whitewash.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come to think of it, aren&#39;t almost all of M. Night&#39;s films lily white?

The only one I can think of is with Unbreakable with Samuel L. Jackson, and given that he is the go to Black guy, I would say that is a count for diversity on Mr. Shyamalan&#39;s part

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast