Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Recently I&#39;ve been told that I have gallstones and I will have to have my gallbladder removed. I&#39;ve also been told not to eat anything greasy or fatty so I can avoid "gallbladder attacks" which is when my abdomen (mainly on the right side right under my ribs) hurt all the way around to my back. I&#39;m assuming gallstones are trying to pass when it hurts like that.

I&#39;m not gonna lie, I still eat some things I know I shouldn&#39;t because I&#39;m hard-headed :doh, but there are still some things that I wouldn&#39;t expect to be bad but are and vice versa. Like when I ate my Progresso soup (Rich and Hearty chicken and noodles) for lunch. That made me sick, but I can eat Cape Cod Salt and Vinegar chips and be fine. :unsure: (When I just looked at the nutrition facts for the soup and the chips...the chips seem healthier?? Now I&#39;m scared to eat anything cuz I don&#39;t know what&#39;s gonna happen. I&#39;ve eaten that soup at my last job almost everyday for lunch and had no problems until now. My dr specifically said cauliflower and broccoli can irritate my gallbladder as well along with a lot of "green vegetables". I ate those a lot when I was doing a detox from the Fat Smash Diet for about a week and a half.

Ever since I was pregnant (my son is almost 18 months old) I still have a strong sense of smell where everything will make me nauseas. Also, like when I was pregnant, whenever I eat something, it tends to just sit and not move all the way down to my stomach, which in turn makes me throw up again. You know when you hiccup or something and you throw up a little bit? That&#39;s kind of what happens but my reflexes are still sensitive from the pregnancy and I end up just having to throw it all up. This has been happening for the past couple of weeks almost everyday. It has never been this bad since the pregnancy

Yesterday, my "gallbladder attack" was so bad, I threw up all my food. It was similar to having a really bad contraction (where I also did the same thing at that time as well). The good thing is, the pain from the gallstones tend to go away shortly afterwards. I&#39;m tired of this though.

I&#39;m hoping this will all go away when I get my gallbladder taken out in January but is this linked at all?? Does this happen to anyone else or am I just a freak??

For the record, I&#39;m not pregnant either. My cycle shows up like every other week now but that&#39;s from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which is a whole other issue. I just want to be able to enjoy my food and keep it down and not get nauseated from every little thing. </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. A cholecystectomy will alleviate most of your symptoms, but most gastroentereologists will tell you that you can&#39;t eat certain things as you used to. You still have bile, and it can still cause a problem. There is no sack to hold it in. After a cholecystectomy, you should not eat large meals. After the gallbladder is removed, bile is still produced by the liver, but is released in a continuous, slow trickle into the intestine. So,eating a large (or fatty) meal will cause an inadequate amount of bile in the intestine to handle fat absoprtion, which can cause diarrhea, bloating, really bad flatulence, as bacteria break up the fat. Bad fats=bad farts.

The fatty foods are precipitating the attack or inflammation bc you are loading fat onto a tired gallbladder, and the visceral (gallbladder) is causing somatic (pain, nausea) response. A lot of people get uncontrollable belching, flatulence, and some get the nausea. The nerves that link to your gallbladder have entrance and exit points on the way to your brain at the upper middle of your back and that is why you get pain there. Gallstones can somtimes pass, but if they are too big, they won&#39;t. Sludge, which more people have, doesn&#39;t really move and it can just kind of build up and cause stones. The pain is in that region because your liver is directly under your right lung seperated by you diaphragm and your gallbladder is underneath. You have the pain directly linked to that region of your body is called a dermatome, and the particular surface region that is tied to liver and gallbladder (T6-T7) wraps around from front to back causing the pain. Some people in severe attacks get pain in their right shoulder...

The way to keep broccoli, cauliflower, and other cruciferous vegetables from aggaravating things is to steam them slightly. Raw usually doesn&#39;t cause a problem, but you can&#39;t go overboard. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT IS CREAM BASED OR MILK BASED. Yogurt is Ok, the pros outweigh the cons. Beano will actually help with digestion of those foods, and help out the gallbladder. It&#39;s less work for your system actually to eat raw because the raw food comes packed with its own enzymes to break it down. In your case, I would add a probiotic to help with digestion.

The reason they may want the gallbladder out is to avoid chronic cholecystitis (constant inflammation of the gallbladder) which manifests with non-specific symptoms such as nausea, vague abdominal pain, belching, diarrhea, AND * fever AND * tender right upper quadrant.
    The reason the pain resolves is because the stones are not obstructing. The bile gets out, does its job, and then you are fine.

HTH.
    Nic
    [url="http://www.familylobby.com"][img]http://www.familylobby.com/common/tt2692599fltt.gif[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will absolutely throw your food up. I just had my gallbladder removed on Dec. 5th. Mine was an emergency surgery because it had gotten THAT BAD; I was full of gallstones, the gallbladder was extremely swollen among other things. The GI doctor diagnosed me with a few things before having me get an ultrasound to look at my gallbladder. I am surprised you can even eat. I lost a tremendous amount of weight because I couldn&#39;t eat and couldn&#39;t stand the sight of food. There were times when the waves of nausea were so strong and the burning in my stomache was so bad I thought I would pass out. Since having that joker removed I have never felt better and going down to a size 8 is also great too. If I were you there would be NO WAY I would wait until January to have it removed.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. A cholecystectomy will alleviate most of your symptoms, but most gastroentereologists will tell you that you can&#39;t eat certain things as you used to. You still have bile, and it can still cause a problem. There is no sack to hold it in. After a cholecystectomy, you should not eat large meals. After the gallbladder is removed, bile is still produced by the liver, but is released in a continuous, slow trickle into the intestine. So,eating a large (or fatty) meal will cause an inadequate amount of bile in the intestine to handle fat absoprtion, which can cause diarrhea, bloating, really bad flatulence, as bacteria break up the fat. Bad fats=bad farts.

The fatty foods are precipitating the attack or inflammation bc you are loading fat onto a tired gallbladder, and the visceral (gallbladder) is causing somatic (pain, nausea) response. A lot of people get uncontrollable belching, flatulence, and some get the nausea. The nerves that link to your gallbladder have entrance and exit points on the way to your brain at the upper middle of your back and that is why you get pain there. Gallstones can somtimes pass, but if they are too big, they won&#39;t. Sludge, which more people have, doesn&#39;t really move and it can just kind of build up and cause stones. The pain is in that region because your liver is directly under your right lung seperated by you diaphragm and your gallbladder is underneath. You have the pain directly linked to that region of your body is called a dermatome, and the particular surface region that is tied to liver and gallbladder (T6-T7) wraps around from front to back causing the pain. Some people in severe attacks get pain in their right shoulder...

The way to keep broccoli, cauliflower, and other cruciferous vegetables from aggaravating things is to steam them slightly. Raw usually doesn&#39;t cause a problem, but you can&#39;t go overboard. STAY AWAY FROM ANYTHING THAT IS CREAM BASED OR MILK BASED. Yogurt is Ok, the pros outweigh the cons. Beano will actually help with digestion of those foods, and help out the gallbladder. It&#39;s less work for your system actually to eat raw because the raw food comes packed with its own enzymes to break it down. In your case, I would add a probiotic to help with digestion.

The reason they may want the gallbladder out is to avoid chronic cholecystitis (constant inflammation of the gallbladder) which manifests with non-specific symptoms such as nausea, vague abdominal pain, belching, diarrhea, AND * fever AND * tender right upper quadrant.
    The reason the pain resolves is because the stones are not obstructing. The bile gets out, does its job, and then you are fine.

HTH.
    Nic
    [/b]
    <span style="font-family:arial">Wow!! Thank you for the breakdown! I really appreciate it! I didn&#39;t really understand what all was going on so I&#39;m glad you explained it! Very interesting! My grandma did mention how after she had her gallbladder removed, she could barely hold her bowel movements, but I know she doesn&#39;t eat the "healthiest". I&#39;ll have to let her know that she may need to eliminate some stuff. Its gonna be hard to give up milk... I did see a suggestion in another thread that might be a good alternative so I&#39;m gonna see if that will work instead. Thanks again!! </span>

You will absolutely throw your food up. I just had my gallbladder removed on Dec. 5th. Mine was an emergency surgery because it had gotten THAT BAD; I was full of gallstones, the gallbladder was extremely swollen among other things. The GI doctor diagnosed me with a few things before having me get an ultrasound to look at my gallbladder. I am surprised you can even eat. I lost a tremendous amount of weight because I couldn&#39;t eat and couldn&#39;t stand the sight of food. There were times when the waves of nausea were so strong and the burning in my stomach was so bad I thought I would pass out. Since having that joker removed I have never felt better and going down to a size 8 is also great too. If I were you there would be NO WAY I would wait until January to have it removed.
    [/b]
    <span style="font-family:arial">I was thinking yesterday how I think Jan is gonna be too long. I keep having to leave work early and I don&#39;t have much time left so I don&#39;t know how I&#39;m gonna make it until then. The losing weight part sounds nice ^_^ but if its gonna be this much pain, I can hold out. :lol: All I&#39;ve had today was 2 bowls of cereal (bran flakes) and those Salt and Vinegar chips with orange juice. I don&#39;t know what I&#39;m gonna do for lunch now since my soup won&#39;t work. How long did it take for you to recover? I&#39;m getting it done on a Thurs and hope to be back to work on that following Monday. I just started working for the gov and they don&#39;t play when it comes to training. They&#39;ve been understanding but still, I don&#39;t want to lose this job. Do you think 4 days will be enough time?</span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still recovering. My stomach and belly butt where the incisions were made is still store my belly button being the worst. I was able to get up and move around a LITTLE after 4 days but definitely not able to go back to work until 9 days later. Your recoup time is 1-2 weeks which is very accurate.

The first 48 hours after the surgery was pure hell for me because I bled through my bandages and into my bed, had to vomit in my sink because I couldn&#39;t bend over and needed someone to roll me over in the bed. At the end of the day it was ALL worth it. Since the surgery I notice that I have to fart all the time but again it is worth it to not have to be in that pain anymore. I would say to definitely stop drinking orange juice and eating those chips. Before my surgery my GI changed my diet to low fat, bland which really helped me out a lot. After the surgery you still cannot go buckwild with what you eat either.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my gallbladder removed years ago I was about 22 yrs old. I had the same thing after surgery as the ladies above me.

Unlike Ms. P I didn&#39;t really lose weight. I think I just maintained. I was already pretty slim.
    But I didn&#39;t maintain very long cause I am now overweight. But I am going to get right. And like Ms. P said you cannot go buckwild after surgery.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Dean Winchester: We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still recovering. My stomach and belly butt where the incisions were made is still store my belly button being the worst. I was able to get up and move around a LITTLE after 4 days but definitely not able to go back to work until 9 days later. Your recoup time is 1-2 weeks which is very accurate.

The first 48 hours after the surgery was pure hell for me because I bled through my bandages and into my bed, had to vomit in my sink because I couldn&#39;t bend over and needed someone to roll me over in the bed. At the end of the day it was ALL worth it. Since the surgery I notice that I have to fart all the time but again it is worth it to not have to be in that pain anymore. I would say to definitely stop drinking orange juice and eating those chips. Before my surgery my GI changed my diet to low fat, bland which really helped me out a lot. After the surgery you still cannot go buckwild with what you eat either.
    [/b]
    <span style="font-family:arial">Dang...What can I eat and stay full through out the day? I have a really hard time sitting through training without munching on something. Are sandwiches ok? I always have the Mrs. Baird&#39;s wheat bread and I have chicken breast deli meat and little bags of those mini carrots. I normally take that for part of my lunch. I try to get things that I can just grab and go or something that doesn&#39;t take but 2 seconds to make. What do you normally eat for lunch when you&#39;re at work? That&#39;s the hardest time for me to stay away from bad food.

Oh, is drinking ok? I don&#39;t really do it much but maybe like twice a week or so if that. I usually just drink wine coolers or something. I&#39;m sure now its not the best idea but what about afterwards?

I can&#39;t believe you&#39;re still recovering! I wonder why they keep telling me 4-7 days?

@Miss_Tee, thank you! ^_^
    </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an emergency removal of my gallbladder also. I know for years I had gallstones, but never had any problems. I had some burning in my side for about a week, but though it was stress and and ulcer. Then one day I started feeling crappy and decided to go down to bathroom in the basement here at work. The pain got so bad that I collapsed right there on the floor. (All I could think was I was on a nasty &#39;A&#39; bathroom floor, but it felt so good because it was cool) Not very women work down there so it was around 45 minutes before anyone found me. Rushed to the hospital and my gallbladder was 3 times it normal size, the duct was blocked by a stone.

I only stayed 1 day after the surgery because I kept throwing up my food and you have to keep down at least 1 meal before they release you. I think I was out of work for about 2 weeks. But it really took me a while to begin eating again. Be warned...spicy foods are your enemy after your have this surgery. It took me over a year to even be able to handle hot sauce.

I don&#39;t know what they have said about getting you scheduled for surgery, but don&#39;t wait until you have a problem like I did. At first I wanted to just go home, but my co-worker said you have two options, go to the hospital in my car or an ambulance...you choose. I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t go home, because I live alone and my gallbladder could have ruptured while I was there by myself.

Wear your hair like you MEAN IT...LBellatrix
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    http://dezgoesnatural.blogspot.com
    See profile for fotki link (finally updated)
    Last hit of the white creamy crack: June 2007
    Full fledged nappy: 12/29/2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an emergency removal of my gallbladder also. I know for years I had gallstones, but never had any problems. I had some burning in my side for about a week, but though it was stress and and ulcer. Then one day I started feeling crappy and decided to go down to bathroom in the basement here at work. The pain got so bad that I collapsed right there on the floor. (All I could think was I was on a nasty &#39;A&#39; bathroom floor, but it felt so good because it was cool) Not very women work down there so it was around 45 minutes before anyone found me. Rushed to the hospital and my gallbladder was 3 times it normal size, the duct was blocked by a stone.

I only stayed 1 day after the surgery because I kept throwing up my food and you have to keep down at least 1 meal before they release you. I think I was out of work for about 2 weeks. But it really took me a while to begin eating again. Be warned...spicy foods are your enemy after your have this surgery. It took me over a year to even be able to handle hot sauce.

I don&#39;t know what they have said about getting you scheduled for surgery, but don&#39;t wait until you have a problem like I did. At first I wanted to just go home, but my co-worker said you have two options, go to the hospital in my car or an ambulance...you choose. I&#39;m glad I didn&#39;t go home, because I live alone and my gallbladder could have ruptured while I was there by myself.
    [/b]
    <span style="font-family:arial">Oh my goodness....that&#39;s how I felt the other day at work! I was in there and felt like I was about to pass out. I just stayed in the stall for the longest until I felt comfortable to walk. I threw up twice and then was able to leave the bathroom. My husband picked me up and I just went home. I&#39;m gonna call my dr today because I can&#39;t be out for 2 weeks. I&#39;d rather them just schedule the surgery sooner before it does get to the point where they have to actually cut me open rather than just doing the 2 incisions. </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The safest thing for me to eat until I had my surgery was oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat or just basically anything that is bland. I haven&#39;t even really had anything aside from water to drink either since the surgery which is ultimately not a bad thing either.

I just came from my post-op follow up today and my surgeon cleared me to return to normal activity. He said that when he took my gallbladder out and really got a good look at it later he was like DAMN! He noticed that I had adhesions too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast