2nappy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while braiding my hair up for the night(i usually put it in 4-5 loose cornrows), i realize that my edges are disappearing. i don't know why i didn't notice this before, but my front edges at the temple area are mighty sparse!

why could this be happening and what can i do (if anything) that may reverse this process? everywhere else my hair seems to be doing fine. i anxiously await your replies.

thanks in advance.
    check out my photo's on fotki-http://fotki.com/2nappy

andreah Guest

this should have been in the hair lost and alopecia section. You should either try Dr.miracles nape and balm treatment. Or either Via- Natural. maybe regro.

And if you use heat in your hair, thats probuly why your losing hair. or maybe it hereditary.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would leave them alone!FInd some oils that aid in stimulating hair growth twist and let it be. They probably need less manipulation. Do you wear head bands alot??what do you put on your head to go to bed?? This could be a factor too....
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair is fine like mine it doesn't take much to cause your edges to act up. I have to be careful when I am doing puffs so that I am not doing the edges too tight. My edges are sparse from chemicals, but much better than they used to be. Maybe try doing scalp massages with a growth aide like Moegrow or some other concoction of your own. There is a lot of info on herbs in the homemade hair products section.

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while braiding my hair up for the night(i usually put it in 4-5 loose cornrows), i realize that my edges are disappearing. i don't know why i didn't notice this before, but my front edges at the temple area are mighty sparse!

why could this be happening and what can i do (if anything) that may reverse this process? everywhere else my hair seems to be doing fine. i anxiously await your replies.

thanks in advance.
    [/b]
    You may be putting too much tension on your hair. Try putting in some loose twists (not flat) in your hair at night instead. Make sure the ones you do near your hairline are smaller, larger ones take more tension.
    What do you cover your hair with at night? This can easily take your edges out if it is too tight. I can't use stocking or satin caps because the elastic is too tight. I use a scarf that I tie loosely. Or you can try a satin pillowcase.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep, please be careful with your edges. relaxing tore my edges up and so did natural hair-which really bugged me. My edges have grown back with locking, simply bc I dont manipulate them on a daily basis anymore, just bimonthly. Edges really, really like to be left alone, so choose your hairstyle and hairtool wisely.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ITA with all the ladies here, have your edges always given u issues?
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i apologize for putting this topic in the wrong section. thanks to all who replied to my question. i know that my edges were sparse with the creamy crack, but since i have been napptural (1 yr) i thought they would come back thicker.

i do tie my hair up at night with a scarf, it culd be too tight. i have stopped using the scarf b/c it always ended up somewhere else in the bed. i have gotten a satin pillowcase. i really don't wear a lot of headbands, but when i do i try not to pull my hair at all, just slide the headband on.

i have heard that organic root stimulator hair mayonaise and/or carrot oil may help. i will also try dr miracles product...

you have all been so helpful and i thank you. i will also look into the hair loss and alopecia section. i don't think it has to do with heredity, but i am not sure b/c i am adopted.

other than my edges my hair is wonderfully nappy and i am lovin this journey.

again, thank you.

red_980 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i apologize for putting this topic in the wrong section. thanks to all who replied to my question. i know that my edges were sparse with the creamy crack, but since i have been napptural (1 yr) i thought they would come back thicker.

i do tie my hair up at night with a scarf, it culd be too tight. i have stopped using the scarf b/c it always ended up somewhere else in the bed. i have gotten a satin pillowcase. i really don't wear a lot of headbands, but when i do i try not to pull my hair at all, just slide the headband on.

i have heard that organic root stimulator hair mayonaise and/or carrot oil may help. i will also try dr miracles product...

you have all been so helpful and i thank you. i will also look into the hair loss and alopecia section. i don't think it has to do with heredity, but i am not sure b/c i am adopted.

other than my edges my hair is wonderfully nappy and i am lovin this journey.

again, thank you.
    [/b]
    Hey I have the same issues with thin edges. You should definitely try to use a satin pillowcase instead of a scarf or bonnet. If you use a bonnet, make sure that the elastic does not rub against your sides. I used to sleep with a satin scarf...and it would slid around my head at night. I think the sliding caused my hair to be pulled out b/c of the knot in the scarf moving around my head. There are some homemade remedies that people use for growing out their edges....like rosemary (essential) oil, peppermint (essential) oil, horsetail, nettle, etc. Definitely check out the homemade products section on np to read up on different kinds of things to use. Do a search on Moegrow oil. This oil as a homemade concoction that a np member (Moe) came up with help with hair growth. Do not use rosemary oil and horsetail if you have high blood pressure, and if you decide to use rosemary or peppermint oil, you will need to dilute them with water or carrier oils like jojoba oils, grapeseed oil, etc. b/c they are too potent to use by themselves.

Other than the things I listed, I have been avoiding cornrows until my edges feel in all of the way...I'm still hesitate to do them b/c I don't want to reverse the progress that I've made. I just started trying those ouchless headbands, and I don't brush back or slick back my hair when I wear does. HTH and good luck on growing your edges.
    Thank you for making me pink, anonymous contributor!

Last CFC - March 7, 2008,BC - June 28, 2008

My Fotki - Updated Jan 2010
    http://public.fotki.com/realrednapps/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks realrednapps, i appreciate the input. i do use heat of any kind on my hair, and i too think that my scarf/bonnet had some thing to do with it.

i am about to look into the homemade hair product section to see if i can put some stuff together.

btw, your hair color is fab!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast