Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thinking and working hard to do this and even though my 401K got hit by the slump in the economy, I'm still thinking about it. I'm grateful for my job but wouldn't cry the blues if offered a severance (lay-off) package Life expectancy is 80-90 for healthy women so early retirement -- say 50 -- may mean at least one new 20-30 year careers. I've always been fascinated by the law and my want to become an attorney.

Anyone else have this goal?

What do you plan to do if you are able to retire early?

anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted about this in over 50 thread, but economy is forcing me to change careers, or at least prepare for it. Hubby and I are considering company buyout package too, then will move to his rural hometown. I'm not ready to sit in a rocking chair, so I'd like to teach highschool math, my original dream. We shall see, but the thought of it is exciting.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Sorors! ^_^

I would LOVE to retire early.. at least in my early 50s. I want to do something a little more clinical than what I'm doing now. I do mostly testing and coordinating interventions in the public school system, but I would rather work in the private sector as a clinician. My 401K got hit too but I have another plan that didn't get hit so bad. These are pipe dreams though.

Soror anabwi, I think that you'd make a great high school teacher. You'd have good classroom management and could also keep the class engaged. Nanny Mae Johnson and Bessie Martin 'nem would be proud!
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Peaches :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, anabwi, you'll be a terrific teacher. Our country needs math teachers. I was one for a couple of years before entering Corporate America. I thought about returning to that as well.

It has been 27 years of working for money and I'm ready to do other things. I can work for money for another 10-15 years but I don't need to. I didn't get hit by our recent lay-offs but now that my 401K has recovered (I really didn't lose much), I may hint around to get added to the next lay-off list. I can always resign but I'd rather leave with a "package"

In preparation, I've started doing new stuff:

1. Became selected to serve a term as a volunteer on the County Corrections Board (Parole Board) voting on the destiny of those trying to rejoin free citizens.
    2. Inquired to become a victim's rights liaison. My sister is doing that and it is quite interesting.

I didn't know there was an "over 50 thread" but I'm THERE now and ready to move to the next plateau.

2nappy is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i retired from the army 6 years ago may 2003 after 22 years, (i was 40) and after shopping for 6 months and watching tv, i had to do something. i went back to school and now i am a special education teacher.....i am glad that i changed prefessions because i had been a soldier my entire adult life and really didn't know if i could do anything else.....

now my students and thier parents let me know that i made the right choice, i love what i do now, and as hard as it is, i have never regretted the decision to change careers.....

hth

2nappy
    check out my photo's on fotki-http://fotki.com/2nappy