Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK… I apologize if I am asking a question that has already been asked, but I have to ask anyway. What is the REAL difference between Interlocks (latching) and Sisterlocks? I have researched and I have founds that many people say it’s ‘similar’, but I am just trying to be cautious because like all of you, I am serious about my hair. I met a young lady who told me that she could start my locks by doing the interlocking method and she went on to say it’s similar to Sisterlocks but she couldn’t call them Sisterlocks because of legal reasons, and of course it would be a lot cheaper. One thing I have noticed is that there is NO WAY of getting around the price for Sisterlocks, however, I am open to exploring alternatives. So far, that is only the difference that I can see. The main thing I am going for is the versatility that Sisterlocks offer. It seems like latching would be an option. Thoughts?

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the link in the post in my siggy will provide some links on the debate and court case. one person won the right to copyright her process(sisterlocks) with a certain pattern and a tool.

what i have noticed is interlockers locks seem to expand greatly versus sl's that stay pretty small. that's just my observation regardless of the patterns....

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some women feel that purchasing Sisterlocks is almost like purchasing a standard. Loctitians who install sisterlocks must attend a $1500 training and provide documentation of 3 'test heads' before they receive a certificate to install them. So, it's almost like purchasing name brand. Now, with that being said - we all know that sometimes 'generic' stuff is just as good or better than name brand, even though it costs much less. It just depends on that particular 'product' or consultant. Also, sisterlocks are installed using a very specific grid pattern but again, an interlocking loctitian could easily mimic this grid so it's not necessarily that unique...some loc'ers can tell the difference between a lock maintained w/ a sisterlock tool vs. a latch hook but honestly, i can't. I have sisterlocks but latch them now instead of paying for a consultant. Had I been familiar w/ interlocks before having these installed then I probably would have had those done instead. Eiether way, I love my hair. Hope that helps a little
    5 years Nappy, 4 Years Sisterlocked! Never going back!
    http://www.fotki.com/thefineprint

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is much of a difference other than the price. Sisterlocks are known to be somewhat expensive. There are other methods to locking your hair with a tool such as latchhooking. I have known people to use a crochet needle, a latch hook, and another tool made out of a paper clip.

I have had locs for 4 years now and I started with the comb coil method. But recently I have switched to the latch hook method. Although the loctician I went to doesn't use the typical latch hook. She used another tool similar to the one known to make "nappy Locs." Look at the website here:

www.nappylocs.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there isn't much of a difference
    i have mirco interlocks not many ppl familar with the knowledge of what a SL is can tell the difference
    mine are just as small but i dont have the name brand trademark SL or grid of columns and rows

<<<<--- imagine if that was actual SLs .......i have 449 interlocks i would guess estimate i&#39;d have a around 100 more locs = longer tighten sessions
    “I’m selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can’t handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don’t deserve me at my best.”
    -Marilyn Monroe
    www.onlybme.wordpress.com

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some women feel that purchasing Sisterlocks is almost like purchasing a standard. Loctitians who install sisterlocks must attend a $1500 training and provide documentation of 3 &#39;test heads&#39; before they receive a certificate to install them. So, it&#39;s almost like purchasing name brand. Now, with that being said - we all know that sometimes &#39;generic&#39; stuff is just as good or better than name brand, even though it costs much less. It just depends on that particular &#39;product&#39; or consultant. Also, sisterlocks are installed using a very specific grid pattern but again, an interlocking loctitian could easily mimic this grid so it&#39;s not necessarily that unique...some loc&#39;ers can tell the difference between a lock maintained w/ a sisterlock tool vs. a latch hook but honestly, i can&#39;t. I have sisterlocks but latch them now instead of paying for a consultant. Had I been familiar w/ interlocks before having these installed then I probably would have had those done instead. Eiether way, I love my hair. Hope that helps a little
    [/b]
    OK, I really appreciate you telling me this and even more so because you started with the SL method. This decision has just been mind boggling! :wacko: Thanks again.

there isn&#39;t much of a difference
    i have mirco interlocks not many ppl familar with the knowledge of what a SL is can tell the difference
    mine are just as small but i dont have the name brand trademark SL or grid of columns and rows

<<<<--- imagine if that was actual SLs .......i have 449 interlocks i would guess estimate i&#39;d have a around 100 more locs = longer tighten sessions
    [/b]

Wow... I love your hair! You are right. I don&#39;t see much of a difference. Interlocking is the way I am going!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only difference is that Sisterlocks is a BRAND NAME. No loctitian can say she does Sisterlocks unless they have been certified (this is done by going to a training that costs $1,495--which explains why they cost so much, they be trying to get their money back lol). They are also required to attend "refresher" training every so often.

The method of creating sisterlocks and interlocks is pretty much the exact same thing.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am starting my 2nd set of locks with Microbraids {Start Date Oct. 2007} I had to pay someone to braid the back &#39;cause I couldn&#39;t see. The cost was 60.00, and {last year} I added human hair ext. {Feb. 2008}. I still have the ext. in, while using the retightening method {I use a crochet hook}. This time next year, I plan to take the ext. hair out, and just have my locks.
    http://www.Queenlocks.com
    http://queenlocks.wordpress.com
    NP Member for 10+ years!
    NP Of The Month OCT. 2004

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the information ladies. I think sisterlocks are beautiful but with me just completing my undergrad, possibly going back for my Masters and the real world hitting me, the price is just not practical at this time. It&#39;s nice to know I have an alternative and thanks to everyone for contributing
    Last "Fire from Hell" - May 7th, 2005
    Transitioned for 13 months give or take
    BC'ed - First week of June 2006
    S/L'd on Dec. 19th, 2009 :)

shuaia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after reading all of the responses about the differences between sisterlocks & interlocking, i can appreciate them all, but i see that none of the respondents are certified consultants. there is a big difference. the average price of sisterlocks ranges from $300-$600+ (regionally) due to several factors. the city, the consultant, the client&#39;s hair length & thickness determine the initial price. installing sisterlocks is a lot more time consuming than starting locs with comb coils, braidlocs or 2-strand twists. i know this to be true because i am a certified sisterlocks consultant & a locktician and i start locs using all of the methods listed above.

the main thing about sisterlocks are the percise partings, using a certain size loc for the installation due to the density of the hair and using a particular pattern for that client&#39;s particular hair type. most of my SL clients (as well as many blacks in general) have 2-3 different textures on their head so, i would install different patterns according to the different textures. a consultant also has to take into consideration which pattern to use if the client&#39;s hair is permanently thin or not, if the client&#39;s hair is grey & if the client&#39;s hair is prone to slippage. with all said factors coming into play, you have to part each section & install each individual loc using a certain pattern & you&#39;re doing this for 450+ locs and we all know how small sisterlocks are. even the largest brotherlocks are small. the only reason you&#39;re able to wear sisterlocks so thin & small is because of the patterns used which non consultants know nothing about. so, you see, there IS a significant difference in how you start sisterlocks from traditional locs. now, you can basically get the look of sisterlocks by starting locs with braidlocs which can be small, but not as thin or small as sisterlocks. clients who want small locs, but not "that small" or "that expensive" request braidlocs .

interlocking is basically a traditional loc maintained with a tool. interlocking is the method used to retighten locs while sisterlocks uses percise partings, a particular pattern & size for beginning the locs. i maintain all locs with a tool because it&#39;s better on the loc. twisting eventually thins the base/root of the loc + you don&#39;t have to sit under a dryer with clips all over your wet head using products (which isn&#39;t good) waiting for the locs to dry. be careful when using a latch hook. i know people who&#39;ve torn their hair using one. if you maintain your own locs it&#39;s better to use the nappylocs tool because there are different sizes to choose from to accomadate different sized locs, it&#39;s easy to use & it does&#39;t pull or snag the hair.

there are many "bootleggers" out there claiming they can install sisterlocks & the client ends up with a craptacular mess on there head & money down the drain. i know because i&#39;ve had to install a "second set" of sisterlocks to many women who did not go to the official sisterlocks website to see who is certified & in good standing with the home office. with any potential hair job, go to the website & do your research, go to several consultations, ask questions that the consultant should be able to answer, make sure that the consultant has their certificate on display & ask to see their portfolio. if they can&#39;t produce a portfolio or answers certain questions, run as fast as you can in the other direction.
    Worry about nothing...Pray for everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast