Thread: Saving My Hair!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My hair is not as thick and strong as it used to be because of neglect and abuse. I haven't taken the time to give it the tender, loving care that it deserved over the past few years. The result is very heartbreaking and disappointing for me. I was going to give up on it and relax it today. My plan was to wear it straight for the rest of the year and then start all over again on my birthday in December with wearing it naturally.

When I called to make the appointment, I realized that I didn't want to go that route. Instead, I'm going to try to salvage my hair and strengthen it. What I need advice on now is on how to save and restore my overly dry, damaged hair.

What regimen should I adopt? I use Ojon hair products and the conditioner is wonderful. But I need to know what to do daily to protect, moisturize and strengthen my hair. I've been using a Denman brush since forever, but I find that it is ripping my hair out. It could be my technique, though. And the fact that I allowed my hair to get so tangled up before I used the brush doesn't help either. Also, what styles should I try that will require the least possible fuss? I need to just leave it alone so that it can restore itself.

It's about 8 to 9 inches long. And to add insult to injury, I just had micro braids, after not having them for 10 years, and cut off some of my own hair when I was taking them out! So one side of my hair in the back is about an inch or two shorter than the other side! LOL! My hair is just jacked up right now!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the denman is ripping your hair out, you either need to switch tools or your routine. you could try detangling with your fingers or with a wide tooth comb. and make sure you use a lot of conditioner. i like to detangle under running water with conditioner.

are you able to bun your hair? and what about twists?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if the denman is ripping your hair out, you either need to switch tools or your routine. you could try detangling with your fingers or with a wide tooth comb. and make sure you use a lot of conditioner. i like to detangle under running water with conditioner.

are you able to bun your hair? and what about twists?
    [/b]
    Yeah, I just recently started detangling with my fingers...the same way I do my daughters' hair...and it worked MUCH better. I used to brush with my hair saturated in conditioner, but haven't done that in a while. I forgot about doing that... Duh! Three kids and it seems like I forgot how to care for my OWN hair!

My twists are not as thick as they used to be. They look thin and pathetic, IMO. I'm not sure how to bun it. I'm just getting back on this site, so I'm not quite sure what the bun looks like. Could you describe it to me?

Thanks so much for responding!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop the Denman and back away. Seriously. I refuse to use the denman b/c as well as it detangles, it also rips out too much of my hair. I highly recommend this brush. I can brush my hair wet or dry and because the bristles are so flexible, it practically glides through. It's perfectly for detanlging in the shower and it's the only brush I can use without having to divide my hair into very small sections. If I were you I would even up the parts that are misshapen (if they are obvious) and try easy daily styles like the puff or twists(with out extension hair). Good luck.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Co-signing on the goody brush! I dont use my denman either because it was ripping out my hair. Now I dry detangle w/my goody (after a light finger detangle) before I either re-braid for a braid out or before I wash my hair. When I use this brush I may find maybe a few hairs in the brush Nothing to blink at AT ALL.

If your trying to strenthen your hair, first I would trim any split ends, then start and commit to deep conditioning weekly (it worked for me). Personally I love to use natural ingrediants and try to keep your hair moisturized, moisturized, moisturized!

I'm not big on protective styles (because I have thin/fine hair and it looks scalpy on me) BUT I do like protective buns. Most of the time I'll wash and DC, then moisturize my hair add a oil on top of the moisturizer then pull all my hair back in a ponytail, while its still damp (sometimes I'll leave a center part) then grab and pull sections for twists. I'll have maybe 5-8 twists that will plump up once dry. For my hair line I'll usually take a little hair butter and a squirt of aloe vera gel and smooth it in w/my hands then lightly with a soft brush. Finally, wrap my hairline w/a long scarf leaving the ponytail down and uncovered, then cover my entire head with a satin bonnet.

In the morning just uncover your hair and you can either leave the twists down or take half of them and wrap around the base of your ponytail, pin w/a bobby pin then take the other half of the twists and wrap them the same way (direction) and pin.

Its hard to describe but looks very pretty and it protects your ends too!

Sorry for the long post, but I can relate to wanting to bring your hair back to its natural glory! :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! Thanks for the info, ladies!

Glad to know that I'm not the only one with the Denman issue. I thought it was just me. I was seeing HUGE amounts of my hair left in the brush after brushing my hair. I knew SOMETHING wasn't right!

Thanks so much for the advice. I thought my hair was just thinning as I am getting older, but I believe it's been a combination of neglect and that brush, literally ripping my hair out.

I'm keeping the faith and will focus on moisturizing and trying the 'bun' thing!

Oh, and I'll be at Sally's tomorrow looking for that brush. My daughters don't care for the Denman either. Try as I might to be as gentle as possible, it still really hurts their tender scalps when I use it.

I'll let you know how we like it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and I'll be at Sally's tomorrow looking for that brush. My daughters don't care for the Denman either. Try as I might to be as gentle as possible, it still really hurts their tender scalps when I use it.

I'll let you know how we like it!
    [/b]
    Sally's doesn't carry Goodys. You'll have to go to either Walmart or Target. The brush will run you about $11.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sally's doesn't carry Goodys. You'll have to go to either Walmart or Target. The brush will run you about $11.
    [/b]
    Oh wow. Thanks for telling me before I go there looking for it!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so i'm thinking i would take three steps if my hair felt like this:
    1) have a hair spa day. clarify with baking soda, do a protein treat with eggs and yogurt, and then DC with coconut milk and some cheapie conditioners overnight
    2) drop the combs and brushes. seriously. my fine hair has thickened considerably after cutting down my brushing to a minimum. your fingers work quite well.
    3) go on a cowashing daily kick for a while, and be low mani about it
    those are just my offhand suggestions. i'm no expert at all, of course. i really hope you solve this soon. i'm sure you will. NP sistahs are always willing to help. :wub:
    [img]http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc242/jamgirl/RandomPictures152.jpg[/img]
    [color=#660000]I rock ruff and stuff in my bantu knots.

[SIZE=2]my album-randomly updated-no password required[/color]!![/SIZE]
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/jamgirl9105/natural-hair-folder/"]http://public.fotki.com/jamgirl9105/natural-hair-folder/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the brush. Woo hoo!!! I LOVE it! I tried it on my 4 year old's hair first and no tears or screaming. It gives when it hits a tangle and doesn't rip at her hair at all. I've used it on mine and it felt pretty good. Though, I'm going to take raq's advice and use my fingers more and the brushes less. Thanks ladies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast