Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dkp View Post
    My goals for the next month are to find a volunteer position, take sewing lessons and read some education books to get my mind in the right place.
    also try the red cross for volunteer opportunities. this city has many opportunities to volunteer but over the past few years you kind of have to jump through hoops to get those opportunities.

if you want to stay in teaching but dont want to do traditional schools how about being a trainer at some company? if not at a company then you could start your own consulting agency where they hire you to come give workshops about whatever your expertise is.

also remember that paths aren't set in stone it's OK to switch it up and change industries. i originally started my working life as a lab rat @ bell labs, realized i hated it then moved on to publishing and now i'm working in the translation/localization field and i'm planning on at least 2 more career changes between now and my death (writer then comparative lit prof) so there's no rule that you have to stick to 1 thing. shoot my parachute is multicolored

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Shira - How's the new job going?
    @Everyone else - How's the job searching going?

I haven't interviewed since I last posted but I have been keeping up with articles in my field, done an orientation with NY Cares, signed up for Workforce1 (although I'm skeptical on their effectiveness in teacher placement) and I've reached out to my college advisor to see if she can set me up with a mentor of sorts. Starting to feel somewhat optimistic.

I went to a young alum event for my college last night and I was surprised to see how many people in my year had jobs. But when I asked them if they liked their jobs...things got a little shaky. I know that sometimes when it comes to paying the bills a job is a job but I want to be happy in my field. Not completely sure that education will do that for me long term so I'm going back to What Color is My Parachute.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/cocoa-beauty"] my fotki [/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@dkp: It sounds like you are making positive moves to get you prepared for when your job comes along. Kudos to you for keeping focused. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be happy with your job; in fact I think that it's healthy. If you can afford to I would keep doing what you are doing.

@shira: Girl, give us an update on how you're doing. I've been praying for your sanity and that everything goes well with the move and the job.

Well, I've gotten a temporary office job that I have been working for the last month. I hope the job will last until the end of November. I'm really hoping to go back to school, but I have to pay off a financial hold first. This job is really helping me get there.

Anyone else?
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Olahh is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its depressing, we're so close to Christmas. I have to budget a unemployment check. What keeps me in check is the thought of how much worse it can be.
    Mango Smoothie...try one.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

I'm still unemployed and still looking. Good thing is that interviews are picking up and maybe that means something good.

I had an interview the week of Thanksgiving (didn't get that), had an interview Monday and one tomorrow. Really praying I"ll have something by the new year, otherwise this will be the third year in a row that I've begun as an unemployed person.
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peace sisters...

@Olahh I know how rough it is to be going through this time of year while you are unemployed. I lost my job 2 weeks before Christmas last year. One thing that I learned from this thread is to try and stay active doing something. That has been a saving grace for me so that I don't have time to sit and feed off of negative thoughts and energy.

@twix36 Congrats on the interviews! Hopefully something springs from that well, as my grandma used to say. Even though I have temporary work here and there, I was feeling down on myself last week because I was facing the new year without having a job. But you know what, I am blessed if I get to even see 2011. I'm really trying my hardest to put more positivity in my life and it has really helped my outlook. I'm sending positive thoughts and prayers to the people who are interviewing you so that they can see you for all the awesomeness that you have to offer. Again good luck sis.

Well....it's looking like my old school is trying to drain me of more money and as a result I may not be able to go there in January. They sprang some new garbage up on me after I did everything they told me to do and I'm unable to complete the requirements by the time school starts. That will not stop me though. I am currently looking into signing up for some online classes at another school that I can transfer to them later this year. I'm keeping my eyes focused on my goal and no matter what trials may come my way and moving forward.
    Formally MzCuteBrownLeo
    My Blog

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36444546