anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my gray hair would grow in evenly, like start with halo then gradually move through hair, I wouldn't have a problem, but I got skunk patchs which I hate, so hair color it is !!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

I'm 31 and my grays have been coming in for a couple of years now. I'm told I look to be about 25 so I actually like having some gray to help me look closer to my true age.
    [/b]

This is why I am thinking about letting the color go I will be 44 this year and everytime I mention my 25 year old son people seem taken aback and I have had some really young guys make comments to me that I do not take very kindly.

The reason for the addiction to the coloring is my grays grow all across the front of my head. But I try to accept the grays and then I run out and buy another box of Bigen!

I am going to try again now only because I just did the big cut in March and I want to see how it look as it grows. who knows maybe I can rock some BAAD hairstyles later and encourage some other women my age! :wub:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heck, I've hit 50 and I'd love to have a nice patch of gray. I've contemplated interlocking a few in a few gray strands into my locs. In the meanwhile, my few gray strands just looks like lint.

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

I go back and forth on this. I am all for embracing my natural self, but I also have an image that I want to portray, and part of that is being young. The gray ages me, and I am not really interested in being aged yet.
    [/b]

Agree completely. I turn 40 in November, but most folks think I look well younger than my age and at this point in my life I'm not interested in losing that. Later I wont care, I'm sure. But for now I do.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm 31 and my grays have been coming in for a couple of years now. I'm told I look to be about 25 so I actually like having some gray to help me look closer to my true age.
    [/b]

This is why I am thinking about letting the color go I will be 44 this year and everytime I mention my 25 year old son people seem taken aback and I have had some really young guys make comments to me that I do not take very kindly.
    [/b]
    Ditto and ditto (no kid though). People are literally shocked when I tell them I'm going to be 44; I regularly get pegged as being somewhere between 25 and 32.

I live in a college town with a lot of overgrown kids (I'm talking folks in their 20s, 30s, and 40s, most of whom look their age) so having gray hair affords me the illusion that I do look somewhere around my age. I don't have a lot though...it's still just a sprinkling around my hairline and random hairs elsewhere. So yeah, it's a fantasy (that I look my age) and I admit it. :blush:

I also admit that I'm really tempted to try henna for conditioning purposes but I hear it'll mean my grays will be tinted (not covered) and I'm like: well, hell, what's the difference between henna for conditioning and henna for color if my grays are going to be colored anyway?
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Kalia is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess most don't want to appear older. I believe that gaining gray hair is a blessing. I at the moment being almost 41 have none on my head but have noticed a few strands elsewhere :unsure: I am not sure what this means but I plan to embrace the grey as it comes in when it does.
    "Look at those who have less than you and never look at those who have more than you,
    this will ensure that you will not belittle the favours of God"
    (Sahih Muslim)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also think there is a perception vs. reality thing going on. I know I was fully prepared to embrace it until I actually saw it. My white hair came in like a halo so it was the first thing you saw. Personally I thought it really aged me. There are some people who have it and it does not seem to adversely impact their appearance at all. They look like 20 or 30 somethings with white or gray hair and there are others like me who appear much older with it.

Also, society is currently very anti-aging so I think that is another reason you don't get much support for wearing it. To the OP, I do agree the constant coloring does get old.
    12th year of freedom

OFF THE WALL....where the sun always shines
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my gray hair would grow in evenly, like start with halo then gradually move through hair, I wouldn't have a problem, but I got skunk patchs which I hate, so hair color it is !!
    [/b]

do you want to exchange ? :lol: :lol:

I have just a few but from there location I believe my hair will gray like a halo. My sister's hair is graying in beautiful streaks throughout her hair.

anabwi is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you want to exchange ? :lol: :lol:

I have just a few but from there location I believe my hair will gray like a halo. My sister's hair is graying in beautiful streaks throughout her hair.
    [/b]

Believe me you don't want skunk patches :lol: :lol:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe me you don't want skunk patches :lol: :lol:
    [/b]
    A teacher at my school has skunk patches & you're right ! I 'm 50 + have some grey at temples & a few scatterings in back. I don't worry about this issue or listen to other folks. I say color if you want to,go grey if you want to. It's your hair. I know lots of people on both sides & they're all happy with their decisions. That's the only thing that matters.
    Did BC Feb 2009 after 28 yrs of curly perms. Ditched wig June 2010 ,wearing flat twists & puff.Avatar me & my new BAA. Use Kinky Curly in summer & Qhemet or Shea Moisture Yucca in fall & winter. This winter is very harsh & caused dryness & breakage so I went back to wigs as protective style & using grease for first time since the 70s : Dax & Blue Magic.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast