Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi folks. . .I've lurked around here for a while, but this is my first thread.

I stopped perming in May 1999, and wore braids for 3 years until I went completely natural in May 2002. . .I wore my hair in two-strand twists for several months, it was simple enough to do and easy to maintain on my own, but for some reason, my hair wasn't growing @ all, and even worse, I was beginning to bald on top of my head. I tried every shampoo, conditioner, and hair vitamin there was.

Unfortunately it wasn't working, so early last year, I tried the kinky twists w/extensions. . .I was going to even at some point start locking my hair when it my hair grows to a decent length. I stopped wearing them and switched back to the braids but its not working for me anymore. . .Plus my hairline is being destroyed by them.

I've been contemplating for years getting locs. . .But was afraid of the committment it might entail (or having to cut off my hair if I didn't like them). But I am seriously thinking of taking this path. . .

My plan is to go wear two strand twists w/human hair extensions for the summer, and start locking when I switch jobs (As my current boss had issues with my twists and I had to fight with her for two months over my hair. The drama would probably double that if I started locking). . .by the end of the summer.

I have questions though:

-I am afraid of offending certain cultures and religions by getting a style that was sacred to them. . .Has that been a problem with anyone here?

-I thought of starting off with the w/the two strand twist extensions, but I read in some older threads that was not a good idea, and I gathered that, being that a lot of lint and other gross stuff starts to collect between the root and the extension.

I also read about another form of loc extensions from this salon, but that seems so pricey. . .Has anyone tried this method and is it any good?

And would it be a good idea to go to a salon to get the locs started up and maintained?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated, thanx!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you considered locing with your own hair and *not* any kind of extension? It could make your decision much easier and cheaper...

but i notice you don't have that listed as an option.
    http://public.fotki.com/londylocks --updated August 2010
    pw: strange fruit

follow me twitter: http://twitter.com/londyjamel
    check out my music: http://music.jdgreensoul.com

edi2463 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-I am afraid of offending certain cultures and religions by getting a style that was sacred to them. . .Has that been a problem with anyone here?
    I dont understand this...My locs are sacred to me, how could the offend anyone else?
    Edi

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by edi2463@May 1 2004, 08:30 AM
    I dont understand this...My locs are sacred to me, how could the offend anyone else?
    I have heard some rastafarians say that they get offended when black americans wear locs because they believe that we see it as just some fashion fad.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by sonshinescoils@May 1 2004, 07:29 AM
    Have you considered locing with your own hair and *not* any kind of extension? It could make your decision much easier and cheaper...

but i notice you don't have that listed as an option.
    I didn't really think of it as an option, cause my natural hair is pretty short (about chin length when twisted), and was pretty thin on top. Unless I have some kind of volume, I don't look all that great with short hair.

Then again, I haven't really played around with it as of late and it did grow alot, so perhaps I can work something out

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are lock extensions?

niknik is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You had braids for 3 years? They might have been too tight and stunted the growth of your hair. One of my good friends had some braids that were too tight and she started balding at the top and her hair doesn't grow too well. I really think that you should give the braids and kinky twists a rest and let your own hair breathe. You don't wear an afro or puffs? I also think at this point twists would put too much stress on your hair because it seems that your hair is really delicate right now. Wait a little while and then consider locs because as I stated before, your hair needs a break from the stress.

Also, I started my locs with two-strand twists, and I have't had a problem with gross stuff and lint, however, it has only been three months. I think it depends on how much stuff you put in it. I don't do too much to my hair but wash and oil it and that works for me. I also wrap it at night with a silk scarf to protect it from lint.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you know intuitively when you are ready for locs. Just listen to how you are feeling. Just wanted to add that you might want to see a dermotolgists about the thinning (maybe you can find an African American one in a listing??) I am not sure why your hair is thinning, it could be attributed to the braids and twists.

I know that my friend started her locs with extensions and it made a very flat looking loc instead of the cylindrical locs that you get when you palm roll your own hair... so you might want to consider that.

Locing your hair is a major decision so take your time.

I have been locked for 3+ years now and love every minute of it but it took me a couple years to decide.

Hope this helps.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by annnais@May 1 2004, 05:54 PM
    I think you know intuitively when you are ready for locs.

Locing your hair is a major decision so take your time.
    ITA with the above.

sweetnes Guest

I would suggest that you get to know your hair better before starting off with locs. I was natural for about a year before I started. By spending time with my hair while it was loose, I grew an appreciation for what it liked and didn't like. So by the time I started locing, my hair and I had a good relationship and I knew what would work for me.

If you feel you are ready for locs now, I suggest you loc with your own hair. It sounds to me that your hair doesn't like extensions. I think locing with your own hair would be less stressful on the hair itself.

HTH,
    sweetnes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast