Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay yall, so I had a bout of spring fever and wanted to have a bit of change with my hair. I got my hair cut and also got a dominican blowout. My grandmother&#39;s birthday was this past weekend so i went to visit. She told me that she loved my hair and I "looked like a person", opposed to when she saw me with my fro. I was like :rolleyes: My aunt chimed in and stated that she is sure my hair looks great however I wear it (She hasn&#39;t seen my napptural hair, she lives out of state and rarely comes home). I told my grandmother not to get used to it because that was the first time my hair had been blown out in a year and it won&#39;t be happening again anytime soon. She stated that she just doesn&#39;t like my natural hair and that it looks like it needs to be combed. I told her that when I look in the mirror, the person looking back at me is ME, not her so basically I didn&#39;t care what she thought about my hair. Yall as soon as I got home on Sunday, I washed my hair. Then when I got to work, one of my co-workers was like, what was up with my hair (I wore it in a puff). I was like, sweetie I am natural and I will not have my hair straight on a regular basis. She didn&#39;t say anything else. I am just so tired of black people thinking something is wrong with wearing natural hair. Also, that they have the gall to tell someone else what to do with their hair. The amount of compliments I received after the blowout were CRAZY, I never have been complimented on my hair like that in it&#39;s napptural state. The school resource officer told me I should wear my hair like that all of the time. I gave him the <_< It really annoyed me which is why the curls are already back. I march to the beat of my own drum, folks better recognize lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear you had to put up with all of that. I think you and your natural are beautiful and you keep right on marching to your own beat. If all they have to focus on is your hair then they must be jealous of it. POWER to the PUFF! :afro:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You&#39;re cute.
    Your hair is cute.
    Anyway that you wear it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of compliments I received after the blowout were CRAZY, I never have been complimented on my hair like that in it&#39;s napptural state. The school resource officer told me I should wear my hair like that all of the time. I gave him the <_< It really annoyed me which is why the curls are already back. I march to the beat of my own drum, folks better recognize lol.[/b]
    ^^ :clap: ^^
    I went through the same situation when I had my hair pressed after 4 years of being natural. The compliments didn&#39;t make me feel good at all because it was if persons were trying to convey that they didn&#39;t like my natural hair. :angry: I couldn&#39;t wait to wash that greasy, burnt-smelling press-n-curl right outta my hair without regard to how much I paid for it! It felt so good to have my napps back, and I made sure "the others" knew it, too! :Cool_049:
    [FONT=Courier][SIZE=1][COLOR=blue]
    God created me this way for his purpose!
    www.fotki.com/1naturalluv

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang. I&#39;m not even going to reference the comments. LOL@ you rushing to wash your hair tho.

Girl, you know what the deal is - do you.
    Blog: http://sandycoils.blogspot.com/

Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/NTranzishun/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah the foolishness. I wish more people would have the nerve to talk crazy to me like that. I live to check fools. :lol:

If I ran into you after seeing you natural (you are gorgeous natural btw) with some straight hair, I would probably have given you my unwanted and un-needed (not a word but go with me here) two cents on how much prettier you are nappy because I do not prefer straight hair on naturally nappy people. I&#39;m sure I wouldn&#39;t think you were doing the damn thing with your hair straight. Then you would have had to tell me to mind my own bleeping business. :lol:
    Nappy Sexy Fly
    My unabashedly, so in love with nappy hair blog.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike most black folks I recognize all hairstyling choices as just that...choices. (Most black folks SAY something (like, say, perming) is "just a choice" but then they&#39;ll turn around and dog someone for choosing to do something different (like, say, NOT perming).)

However, I haven&#39;t had my hair heat-straightened since right before I started locking (2003). Even though I&#39;ve been back to loose hair since 2007, I admit that one of the main reasons why I haven&#39;t straightened to date is because I&#39;m annoyed with the presumption that straight hair is "normal."

I too remember getting all those compliments when I would straighten my hair...they acted like I&#39;d won the beauty lottery or something. I&#39;ve always been a nonconfrontational person but at my age I&#39;d probably tell someone to go eff themselves if they tried that ish on me. And they&#39;d be all because they&#39;d be thinking they&#39;d paid me a compliment! <_<
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish more people would have the nerve to talk crazy to me like that. I live to check fools. [/b]
    side note: i love this u mind if i put in my siggy?

neway choco your very pretty and your hair iz bomb. folks these days are just too damn bold in da mouf for my peace of mind. Summer is comin(im in the desert) and if people just start talk bullisht in this heat? someone is bound to be hurt :rolleyes:
    [img]http://www.nappturality.com/forum/uploads/1242349633/gallery_187497_584_193569.jpg[/img]
    [url="http://members.fotki.com/110310290319/about/"]Like Fotki? have at it[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted something similar after wearing a straight wig to work. I mean, I had men ALL UP IN MY OFFICE GAWKING. I have a man, so I am VERY happy as far as that goes. However, it DID bother me that the only thing (seemingly) standing between me and BEAUTY was my kinks. HOWEVER, fast forward to today and I am TOTALLY OKAY with the fact that not EVERYONE can get with kinky hair. With that said, if I ever (and I HAVE NOT IN 5 YEARS) chose to straighten my hair, regardless of the fact that people would be falling all over themselves, I would rock that look FOR ME if that&#39;s what I wanted. I am SURE that they were just speaking from the heart. TRULY, Blacks have a LONG way to go toward TOTAL KINKY acceptance.

On another note...I get FAR MORE compliments when I stretch my hair (though it is still kinky) probably due to the fact that it does not look AS KINKY and therefore not as offensive to most people. My hair in its SHRUNKEN state IS OFFENSIVE to MOST PEOPLE and I am okay with that because at the end of the day they DO NOT have to DEAL WITH what I have to go through to get my hair to LOOK a certain way.
    Visit my blog: fragilehaircare-gilroygal.blogspot.com
    I share about my natural hair happenings, lessons, and experiences.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I&#39;ve been alternating between wearing my hair in 1) a humongous chunky fro which everyone oohs and ahs over because it&#39;s so "exotic" and 2) the type of style you see little girls wearing, where the hair is made into 5-8 big braids and then secured with those colored, plastic ball hair bands. I don&#39;t wear the plastic bands though just the braids.

I guess it&#39;s a very old-fashioned style harkening back to the days before black women straightened their hair because clearly, people think it&#39;s inappropriate for a black female over the edge of 10 to be wearing their hair like that. You should see the type of looks I get, it&#39;s like I walked out the house in my underwear or something. Unfit for public viewing.

Sometimes it is so hard to believe how messed up our attitudes are towards our hair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast