Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi!...I am a 31 year old stay at home mom ready for a change. I had been thinking about going natural for a while now but I was scared. I know several people who are natural. I expressed to them I've been thinking about it and of course they all say "DO IT, I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR", but they told me to do my research which lead me here and to YouTube.

I started to seriously consider going natural after I had my son (he will be 15 months tomorrow). About 3 months after he was born, my hair started to break off around my edges in the front and shed really bad. For some strange reason, I decided to get my streaks touched up (not a good idea at all). Of course the shedding got worse and the back started to break off too. My hair eventually started growing back but it is still shedding more than normal. When I comb my hair, there is hair in the sink, on the floor, and all over my clothes.

My LAST chemical fire was April 9, 2009 (for Easter). Maybe a week later, I decided it was time to make a change. I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week. I can no longer say it's baby fat when my son is a year old. :lol: I am so proud of myself. Its been 3 weeks and I am still working out (that's the longest I've ever stuck with it) I stopped biting my finger nails about 5 months ago too. Yay me!!

I have no idea what my natural hair looks like. I remember as a young girl sitting in the kitchen, in my little red rocking chair, next to the stove holding my ear crying when the smoking flaming hot tool of hair torture got close to my head. By age 6, I had a jheri curl and I got my first chemical fire cream when I was 15 years old.

Anyway, for me, it's not just about the hair. I am making a lifestyle change. I want to be spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, etc. healthy for myself first, then for my husband and son so I can be best wife and mother for my family.

I know I am only a month into my journey (not much new growth) but I am ready! I plan to transition 4-6 month and then do my BC. If there are any newbies just starting out like me, hit me up.

Lynnieluve
    Last CFC: April 9, 2009
    Big Chop: August 9, 2009

"God will never put more on your than you can bear"
    ***New pics added 12/30/2009***

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to NP!! Since you have a few months before you BC, I'd suggest spending some time practicing styling. Try doing braids, twists, bantu knots, etc. Also look into buying some hair accessories like flowers and headbeads. It'll make styling easier once you cut your hair.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks ChaChaDiva. I am actually going to try a bantu knot out today. If it turns out ok, maybe I will post the pic.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi- I definitely know how you feel. I'm 32 and I have an 8 month old. I have always relaxed my hair and thought that was the only way. A few of my friends went natural around 2005 and I fell in love with their hair. So after I had my baby, I really didn't have time to keep straightening my hair with lye or no lye fire cream, so I decided to go natural. I have always loved the look but was scared of what people would say...I know, crazy! I'm now a new person and like you said, I want a new look with my new start. So I have been transitiong now for 4 months. My last chemical fire cream was in January. So far so good, I guess. I know I still have a long way to go.

Shannon

Hi!...I am a 31 year old stay at home mom ready for a change. I had been thinking about going natural for a while now but I was scared. I know several people who are natural. I expressed to them I've been thinking about it and of course they all say "DO IT, I LOVE MY NATURAL HAIR", but they told me to do my research which lead me here and to YouTube.

I started to seriously consider going natural after I had my son (he will be 15 months tomorrow). About 3 months after he was born, my hair started to break off around my edges in the front and shed really bad. For some strange reason, I decided to get my streaks touched up (not a good idea at all). Of course the shedding got worse and the back started to break off too. My hair eventually started growing back but it is still shedding more than normal. When I comb my hair, there is hair in the sink, on the floor, and all over my clothes.

My LAST chemical fire was April 9, 2009 (for Easter). Maybe a week later, I decided it was time to make a change. I started going to the gym 3-4 days a week. I can no longer say it's baby fat when my son is a year old. :lol: I am so proud of myself. Its been 3 weeks and I am still working out (that's the longest I've ever stuck with it) I stopped biting my finger nails about 5 months ago too. Yay me!!

I have no idea what my natural hair looks like. I remember as a young girl sitting in the kitchen, in my little red rocking chair, next to the stove holding my ear crying when the smoking flaming hot tool of hair torture got close to my head. By age 6, I had a jheri curl and I got my first chemical fire cream when I was 15 years old.

Anyway, for me, it's not just about the hair. I am making a lifestyle change. I want to be spiritually, mentally, emotionally, physically, etc. healthy for myself first, then for my husband and son so I can be best wife and mother for my family.

I know I am only a month into my journey (not much new growth) but I am ready! I plan to transition 4-6 month and then do my BC. If there are any newbies just starting out like me, hit me up.

Lynnieluve
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Lynnieluve!

I'm very excited to hear about your lifestyle change. It's a journey I'm on as well -- my eating and exercise habits being even more difficult than dealing with my hair. But it's exciting, and I'm sure your husband and son will love you all the more for learning how to better love them, even if they don't know it now. I pray your success. Commit your plans to the Lord and he will establish them!
    There is no fear in love. But perfect love casts out fear: because fear has torment. 1 John 4:18

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome. Your story sounds alot like me. I posted my intro below but didn't get as detailed. For me it's not just about the hair either. I've decided to get healthy all the way. Let's enjoy our journeys.

Lynnieluve
    [/b]
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Shanabana ~ When do you plan to BC?

@ Livvyng4him ~ Thanks for the encouraging words.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lynnieluve! Welcome!
    I am in transition as well (last chemical fire cream was Dec 0.
    Mine is a lifestyle change as well i just want to be all around healthy and teach my son to do the same.
    As the other poster mentioned definitely check out the transitioners thread, theres lots of good info to keep you inspired here.
    Have you checked out FOTKI.COM?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've looked a bunch of pics on FOTKI.com but I have not set up an account yet. I plan to though.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome. Your story sounds alot like me. I posted my intro below but didn't get as detailed. For me it's not just about the hair either. I've decided to get healthy all the way. Let's enjoy our journeys.
    [/b]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast