Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was career day and all went well until the last presenter came in. He is a former NFL player who overall gave a good presentation. However, at the end of his presentation he begins to get into conversation with one of my students about how "good" his hair is. I wanted to interrupt and cut that conversation off right then and there but I am careful about how I conduct myself in front of my students (they are elementary aged) and didn't want to disrespect him. The particular child that he was talking to has curly hair and thinks that he is better than everyone else because of that. I've spent quite a bit of time explaining how you are beautiful no matter what kind of hair you have (and they ought to know that natural hair is the bomb because their teacher is always fly :P ). Another student then walks up to him and asks, "Do I have good hair?" I PRAYED that this man would not say anything crazy to this child but of course he did. He proceeds to touch his hair and snatches his hand back as if he had been bitten and makes a crazy face followed by a snide remark about how course his hair was. Of course someone else then asks and that is when I was like ummm excuse me thank you for coming in, it was nice meeting you. :angry: UGH!!!! Ladies I just had to vent because this situation really aggravated me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you really needed to say something as you don't know what kind of lasting impression that idiot has now left with those kids.
    Dread since 2005

The Revolution will not be televised - Gil Scott Heron

My Fotki - pw: simiya

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW you are better than me cause I definitely would've pulled him to the side and said a few words. :angry: Why is a grown A** man even having a conversation with elementary students anyway? After his presentation his job was done.

But its that ol' slave mentality that keeps setting us back as a people and its a shame but men seem to have more issues with hair than women do. They are the ones that get hair cuts every week, brush their hair all day and sleep in a scarf tied tight enough to cut off circulation so they can have some waves.

When people talk about "good hair" they just sound like a bunch of ignorant sell-outs.
    [url="http://www.fotki.com/cluelessaka"]My Fotki Album[/url]

Last CFC- March 16, 2008
    BC- Dec 14, 2008

[url="http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/31608293"][img]http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_strip/s/image/31/608/293/comic-p.jpg[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can't be serious!!! Like what adult strikes up that kind of conversation with a child anyway? Furthermore, what rock has he been living under that he doesn't understand society's negative connotations that come with having nappy hair or just hair in general?! How did you or plan to address this to your students? Wow folks are just bonkers I swear!
    ~Hard Work.Second Effort.Dedication.Loyalty & Love~
    BC: 7/2/08
    DIY Locs: 8/15/09 ~ 1/16/09
    Loose: 1/16/09 ~ 4/20/11
    3rd BC: 4/20/11

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to speak up to someone that coordinates this program and ask that he not be invited to speak again. Children don't need to learn that ignorance in school, they probably get enough of it from family and friends. Motivational speakers and those talking about their careers are there to encourage children, not give them self-esteem issues.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<span style="font-family:arial">Ok, now that poor child will probably have a complex for the rest of their life thanks to that idiot. UUUGGHHH!!!! <_< :angry: </span>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to speak up to someone that coordinates this program and ask that he not be invited to speak again. Children don&#39;t need to learn that ignorance in school, they probably get enough of it from family and friends. Motivational speakers and those talking about their careers are there to encourage children, not give them self-esteem issues.
    [/b]
    :yes: I would also warn other schools and after school programs about him.
    2nd Nappiversary October 30, 2009! Check out my fotki! Updated 3/5/10! Enjoy! No pw!
    Username: QueenVictoria

Hit up my twitter! Username: THEVictoriaMack

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^ QueenV your fro is hawt!!!

WHAT! I hope you readdressed to your class that everyone is beautiful and he was WRONG!! I would have definitely told him nicely, in front of my students, that we don&#39;t discriminate based on &#39;hair types&#39; and that you tell your students that everyone is a wonderfully made beautiful individual. You were good to say &#39;nice to meet you&#39;. Who was the former player?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u should&#39;ve said something to him. i would&#39;ve! that&#39;s disrespectful

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

readdressing the class is a good idea. unbelievable though, i wanna know who this bonehead is!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast