Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, all!

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all before I began posting all kinds of questions or contributing to conversations!

I have been relaxed or some other kind of chemical process since I was a young girl...probably since I was 7 or 8??? I did try a brief stint at being natural in 2002, but I had no idea how to take care of my hair in it's natural state so I returned to the chemical fire cream.

About 4-5 years ago I learned about stretching my relaxers and eventually worked my way up to 6-12 month stretches. But then... I had a baby and began to neglect myself, my needs, my home, my man, and my hair. Ugh! Bad combination! Last year my son was born, I almost lost my job (Thank GOD I didn't), I almost lost my man (Thank GOD I didn't), and I almost lost my mom (THANK GOD FOR HIS GRACE AND MERCY)! But I did start losing my hair. Stress, neglect, chemicals, etc. You know the drill.

So this year with my son turning 1, my mother's health turning for the better, work taking a turn for the better (although layoffs abound), my boyfriend proposing, and turning 35 (a landmark birthday) in 6 months... I decided, it's time to make myself a priority again! I'm still here, life is better than it's been in a while, and I should rejoice in it! I'm releasing negativity, unhealthy habits, misguided thinking, untrue "friends," and I'm freeing myself. Part of that has been losing 24 pounds (so far, with about 42 to go), moving to a new home (soon, I hope), and starting to make wedding plans.

My next step...the BC!

Y'all know how sistas with relaxed hair do when we want to rock a sleek, slicked back style like a pony tails or half-wig. We relax the edges. At least I've been guilty of that! So back in January, I relaxed the edges. Ugh! Why did I do that when my edges were already thin and fragile. Especially when I KNOW better and I second-guessed myself before doing it. The rest of it hasn't been relaxed since June, 2008. But I'm ready to let it go anyway.

My dermatologist agrees! No relaxers! No more tight braids! She has put me on biotin, Rogaine, and another topical solution for the next 6 weeks. She advised that if there is no improvement when I go to see her next time, she will give me shots for the (scalp) edges. I'm not looking forward to it, but if it helps me to achieve my goals, then I'm all for it. So BC, here I come in 6 days, 13 hours, and 25 minutes!

So this was so long. Today has been a long day and I'm rambling. Forgive me!

I look forward to learning more about how to properly take care of my hair in its napptural state and getting to know some of you ladies as well!

Thanks!

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! Congrats to you on everything...the baby, weightloss and upcoming wedding!

It's nice to see another 'older' woman here going natural. Notice I didn't say 'old...LOL! It just seems like many of the naturals I see around seem to be in the 20 age range. I'm 38 and like you have had some chemical in my hair since I was about 8, so it's time for a change.

Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! Congrats to you on everything...the baby, weightloss and upcoming wedding!

It's nice to see another 'older' woman here going natural. Notice I didn't say 'old...LOL! It just seems like many of the naturals I see around seem to be in the 20 age range. I'm 38 and like you have had some chemical in my hair since I was about 8, so it's time for a change.
    [/b]
    Thank you!

And NOOOO not the dreaded "older woman!" LOL J/K! I like to think of myself as grown and sexy. LOL But yes, I am in the 30-Up Club and looking forward to each year. Mama said everything is uphill after 40. So... I can't wait!!!

twix36 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! I feel the same way. I'm already planning my 40th birthday bash! I always say I'm not getting older, just better...
    Formerly known as New2natural1

April 4th--2 years fully natural

Thanks for Panking me!!