Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

I honestly think that my hair dislikes commercial conditioners. I've tried so many, natural and no where near natural, and each and every one has messed up my hair in some way--they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn't even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

So, for now, I'm done with commercial conditioners. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) since co-washing didn't work for me, but I'm thinking about replacing conditioner with a hair rinse for a while. Are there any simple (as in without a lot of ingredients and instructions/steps) recipes for conditioning hair rinses out there? I already know about apple cider vinegar, tea, and coffee rinses, but I don't think that any of those actually condition the hair.

I welcome advice and recipes (or websites with recipes), but please don&#39;t tell me how my hair will just shrivel up and die if I don&#39;t go out buy a bottle of conditioner right away or try to convince me of the beauty of your "holy grail" conditioner that works so well for you and performs something close to a miracle on your hair--please, I don&#39;t want to hear it. <_<

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly think that my hair dislikes commercial conditioners. I&#39;ve tried so many, natural and no where near natural, and each and every one has messed up my hair in some way--they have made my hair dry or, more commonly, so mushy and over-moisturized that I didn&#39;t even want to touch it for fear that it would fall out in clumps.

So, for now, I&#39;m done with commercial conditioners. I use shampoo (a shampoo bar) since co-washing didn&#39;t work for me, but I&#39;m thinking about replacing conditioner with a hair rinse for a while. Are there any simple (as in without a lot of ingredients and instructions/steps) recipes for conditioning hair rinses out there? I already know about apple cider vinegar, tea, and coffee rinses, but I don&#39;t think that any of those actually condition the hair.

I welcome advice and recipes (or websites with recipes), but please don&#39;t tell me how my hair will just shrivel up and die if I don&#39;t go out buy a bottle of conditioner right away or try to convince me of the beauty of your "holy grail" conditioner that works so well for you and performs something close to a miracle on your hair--please, I don&#39;t want to hear it. <_<
    [/b]
    Not everyone&#39;s hair needs conditioner, so its okay not to use any. Since you are using a shampoo bar, its probably pretty mild and it isn&#39;t going to strip your hair. Conditioners are intended to put back what harsh shampoos take from your hair. Take a look in the Homemade Products forum for recipes for conditioners. I&#39;m sure that you&#39;ll find plenty to choose from.
    One other thing to keep in mind is the moisture and protein balance of your hair. From your description (mushy hair), your hair was getting too much moisture from the conditioners that you were using and a protein conditioner would have helped to balance that out.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was just gonna ask : do you NEED conditioner or do you just use it because you think you should ?
    Natural since 1999 - locced since 2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your hair doesn&#39;t like it, then don&#39;t use it. I have a friend who has been natural for about 3 years and she doesn&#39;t use conditioner. She does hot oil treatments on her hair and please believe me when I say her hair is beautiful and grows like crazy!
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I use Dr Bronners shampoo, diluted in water, that usually makes my hair feel moisturized after rinsing, even before I go to my conditioner step. I think it may be the oils in the shampoo... HTH!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most everyone beat me to it. But I&#39;ll tell ya that I haven&#39;t used conditioner in over a year, and my hair doesn&#39;t miss it. When I stopped using shampoo, I stopped using conditioner and so I just rinse my hair really well and go straight for the moisturizer.

You might try that.

Good luck!
    Michael Nathan White * My big brother * 1953-2011* Happy Birthday Michael
    June 24th
    We really, really, really miss you!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, Nappy Me, what do you use to wash your hair since you don&#39;t use shampoo or conditioner?
    Never Underestimate ANYONE

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity, Nappy Me, what do you use to wash your hair since you don&#39;t use shampoo or conditioner?
    [/b]
    Water.
    June 24th

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Water.
    [/b]
    Wow really? I definitely thought conditioner was a must. So what products do you use? Better yet, would I find it all in your fotki? I don&#39;t want to steal the OP&#39;s thunda
    ~Hard Work.Second Effort.Dedication.Loyalty & Love~
    BC: 7/2/08
    DIY Locs: 8/15/09 ~ 1/16/09
    Loose: 1/16/09 ~ 4/20/11
    3rd BC: 4/20/11

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow really? I definitely thought conditioner was a must. So what products do you use? Better yet, would I find it all in your fotki? I don&#39;t want to steal the OP&#39;s thunda
    [/b]
    Just ProLine Lite Creme moisturizer. It&#39;s totally water soluable (unlike oils, butters and grease) and will rinse right out under a forceful stream of water. I concentrate on my scalp more than I do my hair. I rinse until the water runs clear. Don&#39;t rinse till your hair feels squeaky clean, because you definitely can still strip your hair using water only too.

Other products that will rinse right out include

Carefree curl moisturizer
    Wave NuVeau curl moisturizers
    Gel Activators like Right On
    And other similar products

Been doing this for more than a year. Rinse and go STRAIGHT to the moisturizer. My hair and scalp are doing just fine and I save a whole lot of time.

One of these days I&#39;ma blog about this, but last year, I believe someone started a rinse only challenge. I never knew how the challenge turned out for most folks but if you do a search you might be able to find the thread that gets into this in a lot of detail.
    June 24th

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast