Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem and thanks.

I like the idea of latching, I saw a guest on the Tyra show of all places whose locks were about pinky finger width and clearly (to me) latch-hooked and I really liked them. Apparently, they're neater longer. That said, lots of strong opinions about how latch-hooking can sometimes weaken locs and such. Or is it mixing the two methods latch-hooking and palm-rolling on one loc? I can sort of see the logic in that point of view, but it does complicate what on the surface should be fairly straightforward question of "how do you want to upkeep you hair!" In any case, best to you!

[quote]
    Thanks Miata for your input.

Yes, I am on my way. I have visited a loctician and she said that she can easily palm roll my hair. BUT, that is all she does.

I am wondering if latching would provide better results for me.

My twist/locs are smaller than a pencil. I did not worry about parts, which is cool. Everyone thinks that my twists are beautiful this small. Who knew?

So, I am still looking for my best maintenance routine.

Thanks for your input.

Your hair does look great btw.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    fftop: VERY CUTE! ^_^

star13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tips?
    Don't put any conditioner or oils in your hair while setting the braid or twist.I did it with Black Earth Styling gel and the slip put me back 2/3 months.

There are alot of 2 strand twisters from older posts. They may not post as often, but they are here, that's why u see braidlocks more. Just look in the signature or if you can see their card, their link may be there. 2 strand twists will puff and swell more in the beginning 12 months than braidlocks. They may unravel as well. That's not a problem-but it be ready to search for ways to deal with it as it arises. Braidlocks do the same thing; but maintain their formation because, well, it's a braid-but they WILL condense and swell, just not as much bc the hair is kind of knitted into formation stronger than a 2strand twist.

Consider new ways to condition your hair the first 6 months-like aloe vera juice spritz or chamomille tea rinse, to prevent excessive slippage and bunching.

Water is your best friend. There's no need to blow dry the hair to set the lock into place..it will cause it to bunch unevenly and damage the new core of your future locks, so dont.

Parts dont matter, it all changes anyway. Just breath, and style your hair like you would normally for the week, leave it alone. In a year, you'll have locks!

Congrats.
    [/b]
    Ya know , I never read this response well enough. I understand what you are saying. I don't/didn't use oil very frequently, I've used it a few times since this month, probably not enough to make a real difference. At this point I'm just saving the bottle until later, because I don't really need it now.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Starting Locs With Two Strands/braid Locs--blow Drying And Other Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Sheinthespirit View Post
    Hello Ladies,

I am mostly a lurker, but have been on the forum for years. I have been happy with my natural hair for 12 years (with one year of creamy crack psychosis--then just chopped and kept on going). But, recently I have been desiring a different look and approach to natural hair. Thus, I am ready to loc.

I will start with two strands or braids. I wanted to get them installed at the salon, but she has no time and is two hours away.

So, I want to know, for you ladies who wen this route:

Did you blow dry then braid or twist or do it wet?

What are the hidden disadvantages of both (I have read some of these, but any others are appreciated)?

How small can you go and still have the option to palm roll or latch for maintenance?

Do the parts really matter?

And while I have seen lots of Braidlocs, I haven't seen a lot of photos of two strand loc'ed folks.

Any assistance you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!
    I have started my locs over a few times- and I have to say- it doesn't matter how you start- it's all in how you plan to keep them up... they're really is no advantage or disadvantage... if you want them small I would let her take the time to start them for you- and they usually know what to do depending on your hair texture. I would say parts don't really matter- some hair stylists put them in and some don't... that still depends on how you want to maintain them... they usually put in parts for palm rolls and braids locks...
    Palm Rolling... 125 locs... Nature's Protein Gelee

Naturals Salon & Spa... http://gotlocsva.com/

http://www.afropedea.org/pics

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123