Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Ladies,

I am mostly a lurker, but have been on the forum for years. I have been happy with my natural hair for 12 years (with one year of creamy crack psychosis--then just chopped and kept on going). But, recently I have been desiring a different look and approach to natural hair. Thus, I am ready to loc.

I will start with two strands or braids. I wanted to get them installed at the salon, but she has no time and is two hours away.

So, I want to know, for you ladies who wen this route:

Did you blow dry then braid or twist or do it wet?

What are the hidden disadvantages of both (I have read some of these, but any others are appreciated)?

How small can you go and still have the option to palm roll or latch for maintenance?

Do the parts really matter?

And while I have seen lots of Braidlocs, I haven't seen a lot of photos of two strand loc'ed folks.

Any assistance you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!

BC=1997 and 2001. Starting 2str locing sojourn 6/7/09
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/Sheinthespirit"]http://public.fotki.com/Sheinthespirit[/url]

star13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Ladies,

I am mostly a lurker, but have been on the forum for years. I have been happy with my natural hair for 12 years (with one year of creamy crack psychosis--then just chopped and kept on going). But, recently I have been desiring a different look and approach to natural hair. Thus, I am ready to loc.

I will start with two strands or braids. I wanted to get them installed at the salon, but she has no time and is two hours away.

So, I want to know, for you ladies who wen this route:

What are the hidden disadvantages of both (I have read some of these, but any others are appreciated)?

How small can you go and still have the option to palm roll or latch for maintenance?

And while I have seen lots of Braidlocs, I haven't seen a lot of photos of two strand loc'ed folks.

Any assistance you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!
    [/b]
    I've got braidlocs

I braided my hair dry, and I wouldn't suggest blowdrying before braiding or twisting.

I think that braids hold up better than two strands, but this is personal preference based on individual people.

Braidlocs or two stands can be made very small if you wish, around sisterloc size.

parts are also based on preference.

Astral Guest

I 2st'ed my hair, and so far so good. A few did untwist, but kept the coil that they were in from being twisted, so I've just left them alone. I'll combine them later on when things start really locing.

I twisted mine when it was moderately damp. Not straight out of the shower wet, but I had washed my hair, picked my fiance up from work, and then twisted them. I think that blow drying your hair will straighten out the natural curl your hair has, therefore making it easier for the twists to fall out. It may not be that big of a deal with braids, but I wouldn't know for sure.

The only disadvantage to twists is that you run the risk of them coming untwisted. I'm not sure how small you could make the twists and expect them to hold up, but you could try.

As for pictures, are you looking for pictures of mature locs from people who started with braids or twists? They typically look just like locs. Some people who start with braids keep the braid pattern, but not all.

But if you're looking for pictures of someone who twisted and is just beginning to bud, then I'm your lady!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started with two strand twists. Usually I'll retwist/twist my hair when it's damp to prevent breakage and to help it "set" somewhat.

Twists tend to unravel more frequently, sometimes completely depending on your texture, and I think they get fuzzier sooner. Braids are more stable, but I think they may take more time to start looking like locs.

You can make your twists/braids just about as small as you like, but be careful of not overtwisting/latching because they'll thin out and potentially fall off. I wouldn't try to do locs any smaller than maybe pencil size by yourself. Sisterlocs are the micro-sized locs, but you have to go to a professional for maintaining those.

I don't think the parts matter, unless you want really neat looking locs.

I'm only a month in, but you can check my blog for twisted pictures.

Also, do some searching through the loc forum and browse the stickies towards the top. They've got a lot of great info on DIY locs HTH!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ladies!

You all have beautiful and very different looking locs!

It a long time for me to get her, but I am excited.

Thanks for the info on whether or not to blow dry. In some of the pictures I did see, it looked like the hair had been blown dry. I too thought that was counter productive.

I am glad that you are all fairly recent in your loc journey and no Astral your pictures were just what I needed.

I will check out some of the stickies and keep looking around. I too will post some pics once I sit to get the process started.
    [url="http://public.fotki.com/Sheinthespirit"]http://public.fotki.com/Sheinthespirit[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terr and the other ladies pretty much hit everything on the head. But i'll do my best to jump in...

Nope. Promoting and condoning the usage of heat is definitely a no no on NP, so I doubt that too many ladies on here have gone that route. In regards to working with dry hair, if it's your choice, it's usually best to let it air dry or some locked ladies use hooded dryers or bonnet dryers.

However, it's usually highly recommended that you work on your hair while it's damp (decreases chances of breakage). The only reason i'd think someone would want to blow their hair out before starting locs is to try to retain more length. But that effort is going to be in vain once you have to moisturize and/or wash your hair again. Shrinkage is unavoidable, so i'd say just do it on wet and/or damp hair.

Well I guess that is just dependent on preferences. A disadvantage to someone else may not be a disadvantage to me. I chose two strand twists because I liked the look better and I was pretty good installing them in my own head. Many others prefer two strand twists because they plump up and fuzz faster, which speeds up the locking process a little bit. I can't even say i've dealt with any unraveling either, because my curl pattern held my twist together pretty well. But for others, if their curl texter is looser, they may experience some unraveling, and there is also the issue of bunching. Some people also may not be into the fuzzy look that is more prominent with TSTs.

In regards to braidlocks, I suppose one wouldn't have to worry about any unraveling or bunching as much when washing and/or wetting your hair. However, braidlocs do tend to hold their braid pattern a little longer and might take more time to look like actual locs.

But keep in mind that each head is different...so results, opinions, and preferences with vary from person to person.

I guess you could go a little under pencil size and still be able to palm roll comfortably. Any smaller than that, then you are walking into "micro loc" (similar to Sisterlocks and Brotherlocks) territory and it might be more advantagous to use some type of latch hook or tool for maintenance.

For some people who want a distinct pattern or perfect look, then yes. But in general, I'd say no. Eventually over time your parts will morph and transition anyway. The more you wash and maintain your hair and as newgrowth comes in, your locs and parts will begin to slowly change.

Check my fotki link in my signature. I'm only about 8 months in. But i've had some pretty good progress thus far. They are looking pretty "lockish" these days, if I may say so myself

Oh, and as stated before, if you haven't already done so, don't forget to check out some of the sticky topics located at the top of the loc forum. They have a lot of basic info in regards to starter loc options. The search engine located at the lower left hand corner of the forum homepage might be very helpful as well. Good luck!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Blutifully!

Your photos are lovely and advice is greatly appreciated.

I notice you are a Howard person. Gotta love HU. When I was there (12 years ago) as a grad student, most of my department went natural. It was a beautiful and welcoming environment. Several of the ladies have loc'ed now and others are still holding on to our two strand twist lifestyles.

Thanks again and I will be sure to post pictures when I start my journey.

Terr and the other ladies pretty much hit everything on the head. But i'll do my best to jump in...

Nope. Promoting and condoning the usage of heat is definitely a no no on NP, so I doubt that too many ladies on here have gone that route. In regards to working with dry hair, if it's your choice, it's usually best to let it air dry or some locked ladies use hooded dryers or bonnet dryers.

However, it's usually highly recommended that you work on your hair while it's damp (decreases chances of breakage). The only reason i'd think someone would want to blow their hair out before starting locs is to try to retain more length. But that effort is going to be in vain once you have to moisturize and/or wash your hair again. Shrinkage is unavoidable, so i'd say just do it on wet and/or damp hair.

Well I guess that is just dependent on preferences. A disadvantage to someone else may not be a disadvantage to me. I chose two strand twists because I liked the look better and I was pretty good installing them in my own head. Many others prefer two strand twists because they plump up and fuzz faster, which speeds up the locking process a little bit. I can't even say i've dealt with any unraveling either, because my curl pattern held my twist together pretty well. But for others, if their curl texter is looser, they may experience some unraveling, and there is also the issue of bunching. Some people also may not be into the fuzzy look that is more prominent with TSTs.

In regards to braidlocks, I suppose one wouldn't have to worry about any unraveling or bunching as much when washing and/or wetting your hair. However, braidlocs do tend to hold their braid pattern a little longer and might take more time to look like actual locs.

But keep in mind that each head is different...so results, opinions, and preferences with vary from person to person.

I guess you could go a little under pencil size and still be able to palm roll comfortably. Any smaller than that, then you are walking into "micro loc" (similar to Sisterlocks and Brotherlocks) territory and it might be more advantagous to use some type of latch hook or tool for maintenance.

For some people who want a distinct pattern or perfect look, then yes. But in general, I'd say no. Eventually over time your parts will morph and transition anyway. The more you wash and maintain your hair and as newgrowth comes in, your locs and parts will begin to slowly change.

Check my fotki link in my signature. I'm only about 8 months in. But i've had some pretty good progress thus far. They are looking pretty "lockish" these days, if I may say so myself

Oh, and as stated before, if you haven't already done so, don't forget to check out some of the sticky topics located at the top of the loc forum. They have a lot of basic info in regards to starter loc options. The search engine located at the lower left hand corner of the forum homepage might be very helpful as well. Good luck!
    [/b]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Blutifully's post. Well with all the responses actually.

I also started with 2STs...a little over 3 years ago though. I have the really coily hair texture so my twists stayed really well. I have pics from my first day up through my 3 year anniversary in April if you'd like to see how my twists progressed.

Sisterlocks can be really really tiny and a tool is used so I don't think there is such a thing as too small. Well, as long as the root bed is healthy and not hanging by a strand or two, that is. I have varying sizes on my head but none of the teeny ones seem to be in any danger.

I don't believe that there is one right way to lock. I think everyone should do the research and then pick the method they feel the best connection with. In the end, they all are locks.

Blessings to you.
    ~~Started Locks (2STs): April 20, 2006~~
    Fotki

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sis, my experience is some what different than many of the ladies.

I went to go get my hair done by African braiders. They asked me to blow dry before I got there. I didn't really like the idea, but I went with it, because I knew I was keeping the braids in. I washed once I got home and that helped. I didn't suffer any ill affects because of it.

I think the only disadvantage to twisting (I started my very first set with 2 strand twist) is the unraveling.

Mine started out small, but if you take a look at my babies now, you would never guess how small they started out. So to be honest...you really don't know how small your babies will be until your locz start to mature. You may want to start really small (if you want small locz), than just combine over time if you think they are just too small to palm roll (if that is how you wish to maintain). Latching is best for really small locz (SL size). I latch and palm roll. It just depends on what my babies need.

I don't think the parts really matter unless you plan to really be anal about the parts showing, neatness, and maintenance. Some wish to have neat parts because they plan to style a lot. I don't think it really matters. My parts shifted a long time ago. But over time, I'm getting less and less relaxed with maintenance. Besides with my hair type, it’s like fighting a losing battle. I'd rather have healthy locz...so; I don't worry about my parts.

[/b]
    Fikir Bandinet!!! [/i]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great advice and perspectives.

I should be starting my locs this weekend. I am excited and little nervous all at the same time.

I don't like change, but no it is necessary to grow.

I will do better at posting, rather than lurking on this journey!

Any last minutes tips are appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast