Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

OK, I've been on this natural hair journey since 2006 and i'm real upset with my hair! :angry:

it just does not seem to retain growth!!

it is now crunchy and hard, thinning very badly and looks a mess, i have hardly any nape,my edges dropped out because i had amla oil in my hair whilst the temperature of my shower decided to go hot by itself!! :angry: (thermostat broke!)

the ends of my hair have been cut several times by myself and my stylist but my hair still sheds, when i run my hands through my brillo pad hair hair falls out!!!

i am now protective styling with wigs as i do not feel comfortable with anyone seeing my hair!!

i moisturise and seal my hair daily

i co wash twice a week.

products i use: shea butter,coconut oil, sulphur growth oil (on scalp) herbal essence hello hydration, indian powders

when my hair is brittle i put curl activatoron it!!!

I asked my husband how he would feel if i have a bald head, as i really want to chop it all off, but he did not seem to impressed, i'm not showing my hair anyway,so cutting it all off should be no problem!!

i went to my stylist who told me it did not need to be cut off, she washed, deep conditioned it...put herbs in my hair, put me under the steamer, blow- dried my hair and dusted 1 inch off...she also put me under the RED UV Light.

that is the first time i used heat on my hair since 2000 and it did not look too bad, just very thin/fine/fragile.

my stylist told me i should not BC, I should come to her every two weeks for the same treatment!!
    she also said my pores on my scalp are so tight and needed to "relax" and open up so hair can flow through easily, she gave me a head massage with essensial oils....the whole experience was lovely!!!

i left the salon feeling a million dollars, i also have been trimming my hair since this experience...but i hate my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: i just want it gone!!!

i want it to re grow back thick, healthy and beautiful, i need my edges and nape back!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (i lost the nape after my two pregnancies!)

i drink 3 litres of water daily
    i take biotin, vitamin b complex,garlic pills,chlorella,spirulina...

i have a high protein diet, i exercise by walking a mile a day!!!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IS MY HAIR JUST DAMAGED AND NEEDS TO GO????

PLEASE HELP ME, THIS ISSUE IS AFFECTING MY ALREADY LOW SELF ESTEEM...I JUST WANT TO LOVE MYSELF AGAIN AND MY HAIR!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i want it to re grow back thick, healthy and beautiful, i need my edges and nape back!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/b]

Honestly, I think If you are comfortable with the notion, Go ahead and chop it all off. It seems like it would be better to shave it off and nourish your hair from the root as it grows out. Maybe the best reconstruction to getting your hair where you want it to be would to start all over!! ^_^

Scalp massages with EO's are a great idea...but you could get away with doing those yourself instead of putting a dent in your wallet at the hair salon! Rosemary is good for stimulating hair growth...and So is the horsetail herb

Plus: It can only benefit you and your self-esteem to do something that you are comfortable with! Love yourself, girl! Do You...and Get to a place where you want/need to be with yourself and your hair :blush:
    Last CFC: December 24, 2008 Nappy Born Day: June 18th, 2009 21 Months & Counting!
    Journey in Pictures http://members.fotki.com/Notoriously-Nappy/about/
    YouTube :http://www.youtube.com/user/NotoriousLYNappy1
    Nifty Style Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEnI8OacDA
    Shealoe Lotion Experiment:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyCmUoJLE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, I've been on this natural hair journey since 2006 and i'm real upset with my hair! :angry:

it just does not seem to retain growth!!

it is now crunchy and hard, thinning very badly and looks a mess, i have hardly any nape,my edges dropped out because i had amla oil in my hair whilst the temperature of my shower decided to go hot by itself!! :angry: (thermostat broke!)

the ends of my hair have been cut several times by myself and my stylist but my hair still sheds, when i run my hands through my brillo pad hair hair falls out!!!

i am now protective styling with wigs as i do not feel comfortable with anyone seeing my hair!!

i moisturise and seal my hair daily

i co wash twice a week.

products i use: shea butter,coconut oil, sulphur growth oil (on scalp) herbal essence hello hydration, indian powders

when my hair is brittle i put curl activatoron it!!!

I asked my husband how he would feel if i have a bald head, as i really want to chop it all off, but he did not seem to impressed, i'm not showing my hair anyway,so cutting it all off should be no problem!!

i went to my stylist who told me it did not need to be cut off, she washed, deep conditioned it...put herbs in my hair, put me under the steamer, blow- dried my hair and dusted 1 inch off...she also put me under the RED UV Light.

that is the first time i used heat on my hair since 2000 and it did not look too bad, just very thin/fine/fragile.

my stylist told me i should not BC, I should come to her every two weeks for the same treatment!!
    she also said my pores on my scalp are so tight and needed to "relax" and open up so hair can flow through easily, she gave me a head massage with essensial oils....the whole experience was lovely!!!

i left the salon feeling a million dollars, i also have been trimming my hair since this experience...but i hate my hair!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: i just want it gone!!!

i drink 3 litres of water daily
    i take biotin, vitamin b complex,garlic pills,chlorella,spirulina...

i have a high protein diet, i exercise by walking a mile a day!!!

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? IS MY HAIR JUST DAMAGED AND NEEDS TO GO????

PLEASE HELP ME, THIS ISSUE IS AFFECTING MY ALREADY LOW SELF ESTEEM...I JUST WANT TO LOVE MYSELF AGAIN AND MY HAIR!!!
    [/b]
    sorry but i don't understand how amla+hot water caused your edges to fall out?

anyway, sounds like your hair doesn't like any of the products you are using. i know for my hair shea butter and coconut oil is not moisturizing. not at all. in fact my hate hates shea butter like it ate it's last cookie. hello hydration has tons of -cones in it and that stuff can cause build up. i'd also drop the sulfur 8 crap as well.
    what moisture products are you using?

what's your general routine like? how do you style your hair? do you comb and brush it often? what conditioner and shampoo are you using?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I think If you are comfortable with the notion, Go ahead and chop it all off. It seems like it would be better to shave it off and nourish your hair from the root as it grows out. Maybe the best reconstruction to getting your hair where you want it to be would to start all over!! ^_^
    Scalp massages with EO's are a great idea...but you could get away with doing those yourself instead of putting a dent in your wallet at the hair salon! Rosemary is good for stimulating hair growth...and So is the horsetail herb

Plus: It can only benefit you and your self-esteem to do something that you are comfortable with! Love yourself, girl! Do You...and Get to a place where you want/need to be with yourself and your hair :blush:
    [/b]

I wont be comfortable, but I am covering up my hair with wigs and want a head full of healthy hair, so this maybe my only choice..

i will be doing scalp massages, but wonder how i should dilute the oils?

sighs...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wont be comfortable, but I am covering up my hair with wigs and want a head full of healthy hair, so this maybe my only choice..

sighs...
    [/b]

usually EO's need a carrier oil....Extra Virgin Olive Oil....Mix in a spray bottle with water and several drops of EO

Galaxy girl has valid point as well....maybe you need to change up your products
    Last CFC: December 24, 2008 Nappy Born Day: June 18th, 2009 21 Months & Counting!
    Nifty Style Video:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sighs...
    [/b]
    personally i'd advise to not run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the pursuit of potions to put on your scalp to make your hair grow faster. mainly because you don't have the fundamentals of what your hair needs once it's grown. what's the purpose of super fast growing hair if you can't retain any of it.. plus many of the essential oils that might be good for scalp stimulation are incredibly drying to hair. so once again if you have already dry hair and are adding products that will make it dryer.. you're shooting yourself in the foot.

i understand that your confidence is built around what your hair looks like, but stop panicing! piling more products on your head will not help

let us know exactly what your routine is... that way we can help pinpoint of where your problems might lie

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry but i don't understand how amla+hot water caused your edges to fall out?

anyway, sounds like your hair doesn't like any of the products you are using. i know for my hair shea butter and coconut oil is not moisturizing. not at all. in fact my hate hates shea butter like it ate it's last cookie. hello hydration has tons of -cones in it and that stuff can cause build up. i'd also drop the sulfur 8 crap as well.
    what moisture products are you using?

what's your general routine like? how do you style your hair? do you comb and brush it often? what conditioner and shampoo are you using?
    [/b]

i pre pooed with amla oil, then went to co wash my hair.the thermostat in the shower went and it turned boiling hot...causing me to lose fistfuls of my hair (at the front!) i even made a post about it on here!!

it looks like its grown an inch since there but still looks a hot mess.

for moisture i use de louise's sheaamla creme (http://www.mydelouisenaturals.com) and seal with black jamaican castor oil

i have only used herbal essence hello hydration twice, before that i was using elasta qp dpr, i do not use shampoo as it dries my hair out very bad,

when i wish to clarify, i use eqyss shampoo(probably once a month!)

please help.....

er

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally i'd advise to not run around like a chicken with its head cut off in the pursuit of potions to put on your scalp to make your hair grow faster. mainly because you don't have the fundamentals of what your hair needs once it's grown. what's the purpose of super fast growing hair if you can't retain any of it.. plus many of the essential oils that might be good for scalp stimulation are incredibly drying to hair. so once again if you have already dry hair and are adding products that will make it dryer.. you're shooting yourself in the foot.

i understand that your confidence is built around what your hair looks like, but stop panicing! piling more products on your head will not help

let us know exactly what your routine is... that way we can help pinpoint of where your problems might lie
    [/b]
    thanks for the love ladies (wiping tears from my eyes!)
    headless chicken!! :lol:

Ok, i KEEP MY HAIR IN TWISTS/cornrows under my wigs, i re do these twists weekly, i co wash my hair with the twists in twice a week!! i moisturise and seal daily with shea amla creme and black castor oil.

i also spritz my hair with rose water daily, sometimes with added glycerine.

i used to use indian powders, but dont anymore, as i dont even know if it was doing anything for my hair!!

when i transitioned to natural, i kept my permed ends- so i'm wondering if this is causing my problem? do i have scab hair?

what do you ladies think about my stylists comments? my pores are so tight, that my hair is struggling to squeeze through? is this possible?

my husbands hair is my dream hair, it is thick natural, type - 4- and at arm pit length.
    he keeps it cornrowed up, uses no products but washes it every few days...
    (he has done the BC 3 times, since we met 11 years ago!!!

but his hair grows like weeds although he does not even really care for it!!!

sometimes he looks at my hair like... but he compliments it.

i have spent thousands of dollars on my hair, but i have nothing to show for it.

i want a nice simple regime, that works....

i can email pics to a vet, so i can be pointed into the right direction?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg i remember that hot water thread now. so glad to hear (well read) that your scalp isn't damaged and your hair is growing

i can't find the ingredients for the sheaamla cream, but one thing that concerns me about it is this : It helps slow down the formation of split ends, ... that signals to me that there's protein in it. that means that it's coating your hair shaft, which is a little unnecessary as a natural since we do less damaging things to our hair.

it's also possible that your hair doesn't like any of the ingredients..

my suggestion would be to start out on an ingredient by ingredient basis to determine what your hair likes. by that i mean avoid commercial products for a while since they have several things going on in them

here are some common ingredients people use here:
    moisture : water (ie maybe it's a hard water issue?); glycerin; honey; molasses, aloe vera; castor oil (which is technically a humectant)

sealants : Oils (jojoba, coconut, avocado, vitamin e, olive, etc) Butters (shea, cocoa, etc)

proteins : animal based, soy, wheat

the next step would be to determine what ratios your hair likes of moisture to sealant, some people can get away with 50/50 others need much less, and some people's hair hates all oils and butters. as for protein you might discover that your hair doesn't need it at all.

the next step is to read product labels and go with ones that contain the ingredients your hair likes.

it might take some time, but being systematic now will save you years of anxiety

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the love ladies (wiping tears from my eyes!)

what do you ladies think about my stylists comments? my pores are so tight, that my hair is struggling to squeeze through? is this possible?
    my husbands hair is my dream hair, it is thick natural, type - 4- and at arm pit length.
    he keeps it cornrowed up, uses no products but washes it every few days...
    (he has done the BC 3 times, since we met 11 years ago!!!

[/b]

maybe some of those products are clogging your pores causing sebum and excess oil to build up on your scalp...ditch something and note the effect if any...maybe try clarifying more frequently
    Nifty Style Video:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast