Likes Likes:  0
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wether you don't have the outdoor space or you just have all northern facing windows or anything else inbetween, how do you make it work so you can garden? I don't have outdoor space and I have privacy issues with raising my blinds to get my plants adequate sunlight. So I am thinking about trying the following next year...

Community Gardening This is HUGE in my area, but in my neighborhood, I can only find neighborhood beautification gardens, not food growing gardens.

I was also thinking about setting up a spot away from the window and using Grow Lights for my sunshine. The LED lights us a fraction of the electricity that flourescent lights use which is great considering most veggies need 6 hours of sunlight on them. But they are cost prohibitive.

Lastly I was thinking about just starting some greens and some more herbs (as the ones I already started are dying on me now) and maybe just one small light fixture and being happy with that until my space situation changes.

What about you? What do you do to keep gardening when all traditional methods are out?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you thought about an AeroGarden? You can use their seed pods or use your own seeds.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have, but the drawback is that the bulbs have to be repaced frequently and they don't always work well with tap water. I didn't know that you could use your own seeds though I thought that you had to use the setups that they gave you. Really what I want to start with is a bunch of lettuces and maybe next spring try a tomato plant in the house as well. Like I said, space is limited.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have, but the drawback is that the bulbs have to be repaced frequently and they don't always work well with tap water. I didn't know that you could use your own seeds though I thought that you had to use the setups that they gave you. Really what I want to start with is a bunch of lettuces and maybe next spring try a tomato plant in the house as well. Like I said, space is limited.
    [/b]
    Some suggestions...

- Just use the flourescent lights. Plants grow like crazy in office buildings with those lights

- place the plants on the other side of your blinds so that you get your privacy and they get their light

- When you know it's about to rain, stick a container outside (or at at a friends house) and collect some rain water (i'm happy to say that i collect 2 gallons last week)

- Some plants will need to be outside at some point (for pollunation)

- buy your herbs from plants, instead of starting them from seed

- plant things that are both attractive and edible (for community garden)

- Do you drive? Stick your plants in/on your car so they can get sunlight

ok, i know my last suggestion was a llittle crazy, but all you have to do is think outside the box and give things a try. it seems like u've been ruling things out without even trying them

i would need to know a little more about your space to give suggestions

HTH

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[/b]
    Interesting. They use regular flourescent lights and you can use "standard" tap water per the FAQs. The only problem is with "hard" water. Oh well, I hope you find what you're looking for.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got that aerogarden info from various gardening blog reviews. Mostly they get stellar reviews, but the lights and the tap water are the two biggest complaints that people I have read about have. And the water by me is like little pebbles coming out of my faucet so it makes me a little leary. LOL Seriously, I think I am going to have to really do my research on that CG by me. Unfortunatley, the CG Assn in Minneapolis people still haven't gotten back to me so I may just have to start taking daily walks over there until I just catch someone over there. That or make a flyer and pass it around in my neighborhood to see if anyone wants to rent me some space in their backyard! LOL But thanks for the great suggestions. I know there are more people than just me having issues and I hope they help others too.