Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that men in their 20s and 30s have faster growing locs than women. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eh.... I think it really just depends on the person.... BUT it could have something to do with testosterone????? :dunno:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it just depends on the person and their lifestyle. Males tend to be more active than females which keeps the blood flowing good which has a lot to do with hair growth.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me and my SO started at the same time and mine are longer than his
    Dean Winchester: We know a little about a lot of things; just enough to make us dangerous.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In defense of this theory---it may also have something to do with the lack of manipulation that men put on their hair/locs/braids/etc.

There are exceptions to the "rules" but women tend to be more opt to over styling--super tight braids--excessively manicured locs,etc.

HTH!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In defense of this theory---it may also have something to do with the lack of manipulation that men put on their hair/locs/braids/etc.
    There are exceptions to the "rules" but women tend to be more opt to over styling--super tight braids--excessively manicured locs,etc.
    HTH!
    [/b]
    ^^I was thinking the very same thing.^^
    Fotki.com/Snkofa2
    Natural since: September 2006
    Entered loc'dom: November 2007
    Peace and Blessings!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The type of hair grown from scalps isn't helped by testosterene. It's proven to be potentially damaged by it, rather. The types of follicles which are stimulated by that hormone tend to be classically attributed to masculinity or too much testosterene for a particular female.

However, I do agree that less manipulation and retention are usually coupled quite nicely. For now, I figure that alone (beside much less product usage if that isn't considered manipulation) is evidence enough.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think that male hair grows faster in general regardless of whether they are locing or not. i am witnessing this in both my children and my grandchildren. my son's hair grows so fast that i can swear that i see it sprouting from his head. same for my grandson. now my granddaughter, well that poor chile is having a problem. little gummy, my grandson, gets his hair braided just like little mahogany and his hair is passing her by at 15 mos. she is almost 6. my son is gonna bankrupt me at the barber shop.

my brother has locs and his hair grows much faster than mine. he has cut his locs back to my length several times already and still it leaps out and passes mine. i do not manipulate my locs at all. in fact, he is a twister and i am not.

just my observation.
    7 year locs, relaxing and enjoying life

album pw: gummy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does seem that way. My hair grows fast too. But guys have the advantage it seems, eyelashes, nails and hair why is it not graced on women regularly? Could be simply the hormones they possess! :-)
    TO BE LOCKED IS TO BE FREE!!!!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^IA, I have read that nails and eyelashes are stronger and grow faster on men.

As far as hair is concerned, I am not sure. But I tend to think that either way, that men are less 'fussy' with their hair, and we know leaving hair alone is the best thing you can do. Women are more likely do to a lot more styling, brushing, tightening, washing, etc. that can cause breakage and affect growth. Men are more likely to get their hair tightened and not do a thing until it's time to get it tightened again.
    God Bless!