Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the bus today heading home. This black guy that had got on asked me what type of kit I use in my hair. I told him I don't have one. :rolleyes: He said, oh it's naturally like that? I told him my hair is naturally like that. When will black folks realize that not all black people's hair look the same. Just as we have different shades of color, we have different textures of hair. Thinking all black people's hair look alike, is like white people thinking all black people look alike. Oh but I bet if I was light skinned, I bet they would've claimed it was the white or indian in my family. My boyfirend is light skinned with green eyes. He said when his hair was long, (which is nappy), people always asked him if he was mixed lol. He said his hair would look curly as it got longer. If black people would let go of the relaxers, flaming hot tools of hair torture, and other chemical treatments, they would know that black people have curly/coily hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the bus today heading home. This black guy that had got on asked me what type of kit I use in my hair. I told him I don't have one. :rolleyes: He said, oh it's naturally like that? I told him my hair is naturally like that. When will black folks realize that not all black people's hair look the same. Just as we have different shades of color, we have different textures of hair. Thinking all black people's hair look alike, is like white people thinking all black people look alike. Oh but I bet if I was light skinned, I bet they would've claimed it was the white or indian in my family. My boyfirend is light skinned with green eyes. He said when his hair was long, (which is nappy), people always asked him if he was mixed lol. He said his hair would look curly as it got longer. If black people would let go of the relaxers, flaming hot tools of hair torture, and other chemical treatments, they would know that black people have curly/coily hair.
    [/b]

:clap: :clap: PREACH...some black people have never seen natural hair and think our hair is comes in one texture.....nappy. I myself an tired of people thinking I'm somalian/ethiopian/from the sudan...or any other north african country. supposedly we have 49 different textures of hair. It is time to educate our black folks, ignorance is no longer an excuse.
    Education should be fashioned to enable us to be self sufficient as a people.

Nation of Gods & Earths

Reviews
    Read Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    Post(s)
    Tagged
    Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't care what people do/don't think about my hair texture. What difference does it make, really? I'm still nappy...

:afro:

Here in the bay or back home in the motherland
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That does show ignorance about natural hair. It shows that people are not use to encountering natural hair because no kind of kit can produce the look of beautiful natural hair. I find myself telling both black and white people that not all black people have the same kind of hair (even if it is all nappy). I don't know if I'm actually teaching anyone though because it seems that when I end up explaining that, most don't want to hear it. There is variation in our natural nappy/curly hair textures. No one would argue that not all white people have the exact same kind of straight hair with the exact same needs. But for black people, some times I feel that the struggle is also for others, and especially for us to accept that we have normal hair, period.

I lived for the early part of my life in another country where most of the people do wear their nappy hair natural, and lot of them grow it relatively long (although in music videos, a lot of women do actually wear fake hair). When they immigrate here to the U.S., many continue to wear their hair natural, while they see many of the African women from the U.S. relax and damage their hair or wear weaves. Because of this people from back home think that their hair is naturally different and better than the African people from the U.S. I hate that because it is giving into the idea of so called "good hair and bad hair"and it creates a false division between African people, at least psychologically. :angry: If one ethnic group of black people is buying into such false divisions or buying the idea that their hair is better than another (or that their hair is worse than another), I think that shows insecurity and self hatred. Even here in the U.S. their is a history of African "american" people accepting that one black person has good hair while another has so called bad. And by the way, no matter what you hear, back home in my original country, you find every variation of nappy hair just as you find here in the states. I know by experience. If someone's hair is "better" it is only because they have kept their hair healthy and natural and have learned how to care for it. So i agree, black people everywhere need to wake up and learn about their hair. We need to start seeing natural hair as normal and start knowing what natural looks like. We need to let go of these concepts of "good hair vs. bad hair". We need to reclaim what is our, and eventually other's will recognize what is ours and won't be able to deny us the glory that is ours. Our is beautiful African hair with all it's glorious variations and potential. That's why I love our natural hair. It's soooo nice. I apologize for writing so much...There is just so much that I want to say about this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LLL said, "I myself an tired of people thinking I'm somalian/ethiopian/from the sudan...or any other north african country."

LLL, I say this with total respect, I am from one of the countries you mentioned and we are not apart of North Africa. It is apart of East Africa. And it is apart of Sub-saharan Africa while so called North Africa is not. So is it so far fetched that you are sometimes mistaken for being from one of those countries? In my previous post, I was trying to say that you find all these variations in nappy hair everywhere that black people are. We shouldn't assume that only black people from one particular place have a certain texture of hair or that if a black person has beautiful natural hair, that it can't really be their hair. That they had to have used a "kit" or something.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I don't care what people do/don't think about my hair texture. What difference does it make, really? I'm still nappy...

:afro:
    [/b]
    so which kit do you use again? :ninj:

seriously though, i agree with soul. people are free to believe i use whatever kiddie perm/rio/hawaiian silky kit they want if they chose to do so.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so which kit do you use again? :ninj:
    seriously though, i agree with soul. people are free to believe i use whatever kiddie perm/rio/hawaiian silky kit they want if they chose to do so.
    [/b]
    Yah, you're right, people can think what ever they want.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His curiousity seems to have been genuine and innocent. Continue to enlighten and introduce, as such, at your leisure. The connotation of ignorance doesn't apply, to that scenario. You serve your own cause to share of yourself, when you aren't inconvenienced to do so. The problem is the solution, in this instance. Good luck with that.
    2009: Transitioned
    2020: Mature, Freeformed Locs

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

:clap: :clap: PREACH...some black people have never seen natural hair and think our hair is comes in one texture.....nappy. I myself an tired of people thinking I'm somalian/ethiopian/from the sudan...or any other north african country. supposedly we have 49 different textures of hair. It is time to educate our black folks, ignorance is no longer an excuse.
    [/b]

Well worded by the way. This is 2009, there is no reason why Black shouldn't be educated in their naturality, whether or not they relax their hair.
    To the other posters, yes it is true that it is his opinion and they can think whatever they want but the OP had a right to get annoyed. This is a constant problem in the Black community. When will be ever open our eyes?
    Last CFC: December 2007
    Transition: January 2008 to January 2009
    BC: May 2009
    Naturally Me: 1 year 7 months
    Loc Journey: Will begin January 2010

My fro's name is CoCo Chanel

I try to live my life as a Proverbs 31 woman...always and forever
    __________________________________________________ ____

50% Haitian 50% Nigerian= 100% Afro-Caribbean woman

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't mind enlightening people. Most ask the questions that they do because they really don't know.
    As odd as it may seem, lots of Black people (and other races) don't know that if they allowed themselves to see more than just an inch or less of their roots, they'd be surprised at the waves, ringlets, curls and coils that they possess. Or, they'd be surprised at the texture; they'd be amazed at what their hair could do and how, for the most part, it can be a lot less expensive and a lot more carefree.

Men seem to be a bit more aware of this than women because men see their natural hair more. They aren't wearing weaves, or wigs. What they are doing is cutting their hair very close (getting those receding hairlines) some may be applying the cream. Still, when it comes to women they often seem to be completely in the dark about naural hair. I get weary at times when men/women assume that I'm biracial because of my hair, but those are the people that I feel the need to educate the most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast