Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I am almost convinced that at least half of the scalp woes that black women experience come from a)not washing our hair often enough and b)on top of that, putting stuff on our scalp.

When people say that they need to grease their scalp because of dryness and flaking, I am almost positive that the flaking is layers of old grease and/or shed cells that wouldn't arise if they were washing more regularly and keeping their scalp clean. I long to tell these people that they should try washing more regularly, stop greasing and if that doesn't work, see a dermatologist. After all, as far as I know,regular old grease does nothing for dandruff (a fungal condition) either. This topic of conversation usually arises if someone asks me my routine and is aghast at the fact that I don't put anything on my scalp. I do give myself a mini scalp massage when washing my hair most times.

I'm sure there are many of you out there who disagree. I'd like to hear from all points of view on the following topics: (please keep the tone civilised please, I want to see debate and not fighting/mudslinging)

Do you think that black women have more scalp complaints than women of other ethnicities?
    If so, to what extent do you think that frequency of washing and tendency to put products on the scalp is responsible?
    Do you think that chemical fire cream burns can cause irreparable damage to the scalp that persists even after going natural (even if it appears as though they have healed)?

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions" - John Rushkin

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No grease on my scalp. I second what you say.
    Check out my new updates form march and april '08.

http://public.fotki.com/yasintha

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if black women have more scalp problems than other women. I believe wholeheartedly that black women have more HAIR problems than other women and that has everything to do with our insistence that our natural hair isn't good enough and must be battled at every turn (um, nap) with harsh chemicals and heat.

I almost never oil my scalp. Every once in a while I will when I'm giving myself a scalp massage, which is something else I almost never do. At one point a year or so back I tried MoeGro for a while, but that didn't stick, mainly because I got bored.

Do I think that CFC burns can cause irreparable damage to the scalp? Certainly. Do I think it happens in the majority of cases? No...and I don't know how you could prove it unless you did a study over a period of decades with women who were natural, then permed, then natural again.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wash my hair once a week and I rinse my hair everyday b/c I exercise.

I do "grease" my scalp but it likes it. the only thing that I use is qhem's tea tree and grapeseed pomade. my scalp love tea tree, grapeseed and jojoba oils b/c they are light and absorb quickly. I also like to put aloe vera gel on my scalp. anything else my scalp especially my crown, hates.

I occasionally use my moe growth oil and its great but I'm not really consistent. but again the main carrier oils are jojoba and grapeseed.

I never had a dandruff problem or anything severe. I did however have a dry itchy crown area. the two things that has really helped and were consistent was the qhem tea tree and grapeseed pomade and aloe vera gel.

I've done the no putting things on your scalp but I always go back to qhem's pomade b/c my scalp loves it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago, I decided to stop oiling my scalp. I'd had a history of flaking, itching and irritation when I'd do it, and never equated that to my scalp issues (probably had a sensitivity to petroleum products). Having said that, I do try and oil my scalp in the wintertime, but only with lightweight (jojoba or sweet almond) oils.

I also like to put aloe vera gel on my scalp. anything else my scalp especially my crown, hates.
    [/b]
    AK,
    Tell me more about aloe on the scalp...thanks.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago, I decided to stop oiling my scalp. I'd had a history of flaking, itching and irritation when I'd do it, and never equated that to my scalp issues (probably had a sensitivity to petroleum products). Having said that, I do try and oil my scalp in the wintertime, but only with lightweight (jojoba or sweet almond) oils.
    AK,
    Tell me more about aloe on the scalp...thanks.
    [/b]
    aloe vera is said to have antibacterial and antifungal properties. for me its very healing, soothing and moisturizing. when ever I have issues with my crown area (like I said sometimes it gets dry and itchy) I put some aloe on it and stops that mess in its tracks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]just want to say thanks to my angel whoever you are. thanks for making me pretty in pank

Yo I beez bloggin' check me at vivalaunderdog.tumblr.com (I finally made it happen).

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed that i dont have the issues with my scalp that i did when it was relaxed i.e the itching, flaking. My scalp would flake badly it wasnt dandruff tho it was dryscalp. So i would oil my scalp this often just made my hair smell and my scalp more gunky it would also make the flakes stick to the hair rather than fall out ughhhh. so i got fed up and stopped oiling and it made no difference i still had itchy and flakey scalp and i was washing my hair every 2 weeks.

Now that im natural i dont have that problem i dont kni whether its to do with the ACV rinses or the fact that its washed more often. But i dont oil my scalp and never really feel the urge to. I wash my hair at least once a week. sometimes my scalp does itch which usually indicates an ACV rinse is due then i will be cool for a good while.

So after all that rambling i dont really have an answer.... :blush:

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't say whether or not black women have more scalp issues than women of other ethnicities, but what I can say is that I believe the use of relaxers on the actual scalp (I know some woman who put grease or oil on the scalp to make sure the cream doesn't get there) doesn't really help or lead to a healthy scalp. When I would relax my hair and use grease (read old school blue magic lol) I would get dandruff and flakes sooo badly but I never did suffer from that scabbing I hear about.

I will say once decided to go natural I just stopped using that stuff with mineral oil or petroleum and no longer had any scalp issues. So putting away the grease and SLS shampoo is what eliminated my dandruff and flakes issue.

I am a bit of a creature of habit, so I still 'oil' my scalp partly for fun and partly because it makes me feel better. I use Africa's Best Herbal Hair Oiil (2.49 at walgreens) although I can do about 3-4 days without putting anything on it. Since its summer time, I find myself oiling my scalp less and just spritz it with my water, aloe vera gel and peppermint eo mix (which feels heavenly after a day outside!)
    If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I co-wash every other day and I do not grease or oil my scalp. I just dont feel the need to. Plus my hair is too thick for all that parting and oiling.

I think that black women who re.lax tend to have more scalp issues than other women. Other women may have issues with dandruff but they arent really getting scalp burns like the ones that are caused from p.erms.

I do feel like p.erms can cause irreversible damage even after going natural. Most women will go natural because they HAVE to when they get older. I used to tell my mom to choose to go natural rather than be forced. She finally did when her hair broke off but her edges are still very thin because of years of perming. I hope they will recover but it might be too late. (

[url="http://www.fotki.com/cluelessaka"]My Fotki Album[/url]

Last CFC- March 16, 2008
    BC- Dec 14, 2008

[url="http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/31608293"][img]http://hosted.pikistrips.com/comic_strip/s/image/31/608/293/comic-p.jpg[/img][/url]

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aloe vera is said to have antibacterial and antifungal properties. for me its very healing, soothing and moisturizing. when ever I have issues with my crown area (like I said sometimes it gets dry and itchy) I put some aloe on it and stops that mess in its tracks.
    [/b]
    Thanks for the idea. I would never have thought of trying aloe vera in this way. I'll try this next week.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast