Thread: Napp Care

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, i just made my one year nappiversery and i love my nappiness, but there is one problem. I keep my hair done up all the time because I'm still in school and i have so much to deal with i don't have time to do my hair. So now that it done up, it smells and i am CLUELESS of how to make it smell better without damaging it. Any tips or pointers?
    [color=#3333FF]~$[/color][color=#993399]!![u]b[/color][color=#33FF33]itt[/color][color=#FF99FF]er sw[/color][color=#33FF33]ee[/color][color=#CC33CC]t[/u]!![/color][color=#3333FF]$~[/color]

calla2 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your 1 year nappiversary!

Natural hair shouldn't be any more smelly/smell faster after washing than processed/re-laxed hair (actually it probably smells better without all of those chemicals). Can you describe what you mean by keeping your hair "done up?" How often are you washing it? What do you use to wash it? Do you exercise/sweat a lot?

Without knowing those details, I'm guessing that your hair is in a protective style such braids or twists. You could try a tablespoon of baking soda per cup of water (some people only use 1 teaspoon but I'm heavy handed), and maybe add in an ounce or two of ACV (leaving enough room for it to bubble up). You can use this alone to wash you hair, or as a rinse after shampooing: both baking soda and ACV have deodorizing and cleansing properties and are gentle on hair. To protect your style, gently scrub your scalp with your fingertips, and repeatedly squeeze and release your braids/twists to work the solution into and throughout your hair. Just rinse out thoroughly with water, no need to follow up with shampoo. In fact, this is what I use instead of shampoo or cowashing 98% of the time... I use about a quart so that I can repeat the process 2-3 times before rinsing with clean water. HTH.
    Grow with the fro.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

-I didn't mean to confuse you, when I said done up, I meant I keep it braided. I have what you probably know as Kinky Twists, right now.
    - When do I wash it?
    usually after I take it down
    -What do I use to wash it?
    I co-wash mi hair. I use Organics Olive Oil Conditioner, it for natural hair.
    -Do i exercise/sweat?
    I'm in band (Drummajor). So yes, I work out alot.
    [color=#3333FF]~$[/color][color=#993399]!![u]b[/color][color=#33FF33]itt[/color][color=#FF99FF]er sw[/color][color=#33FF33]ee[/color][color=#CC33CC]t[/u]!![/color][color=#3333FF]$~[/color]

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myssie B it sounds like you have it down pat, When I was in kinkys I water rinsed my hair when I sweated a lot. I also watered down conditioner and just rinsed my scalp with that as well. you dont need to do a lot to your kinkys, just make sure you keep them moist and your scalp as clean as possible

" Why travel down her natural journey, when your own is so unique ?" ~ Cerendipity

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I had kinky twists in, I washed weekly (that is the schedule my scalp likes) with diluted shampoo, then I diluted my conditioner to make it easy to rinse out. The last thing I did was dilute some castor oil in a bottle of water and pour it over my roots, and rinsed lightly. It helped me get a head start on moisture.
    If your hair smells, you probably need to rinse or shampoo it more often.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should probably rinse your hair more often if you sweat in your head. I know this from experience. Kinky twists are hard to moisturize because the synthetic hair tends to absorb moisture from your natural locks. Its probably best to remember to rinse your hair often and keep your scalp cleansed also. ORS herbal cleanse is excellent for this purpose. Hope this helps.