Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Do we really need conditioner?

Okay, so I have been experimenting with all natural ingredients and trying to come up with my own hair products before I break down and try Oyin. I have no qualms about trying Oyin, I just don't want to become dependent on getting products shipped from the East Coast to the West Coast especially when I am trying to find my staples. I have discovered that no commerical conditioners are working for me. I clean my hair with a Dr. Bonner's soap receipe and my hair does not feel all that dry. I was wondering can you use oils like olive oil, coconut or butters like shea in place of a conditioner or should I look into making some sort of gycerin and water spray leave in after I wash. Or better yet should I use a combination of the sort? How necessary is traditional conditoner, if you are not even using shampoo?

Thanks for any help!

CLM

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovelybrown View Post
    Okay, so I have been experimenting with all natural ingredients and trying to come up with my own hair products before I break down and try Oyin. I have no qualms about trying Oyin, I just don't want to become dependent on getting products shipped from the East Coast to the West Coast especially when I am trying to find my staples. I have discovered that no commerical conditioners are working for me. I clean my hair with a Dr. Bonner's soap receipe and my hair does not feel all that dry. I was wondering can you use oils like olive oil, coconut or butters like shea in place of a conditioner or should I look into making some sort of gycerin and water spray leave in after I wash. Or better yet should I use a combination of the sort? How necessary is traditional conditoner, if you are not even using shampoo?

Thanks for any help!

CLM
    Not everyone needs conditioner. I generally don't use any, mainly because of my routine. I keep my hair twisted, even when I wash. After washing, I take a twist down, add shealoe, detangle, and retwist. The shealoe for me replaces the conditioner because its very slippery and I can detangle easily. I use conditioner when I detangle loose hair for slip, this only happens a few times a year. Conditioner also serves the purpose of replacing what gets stripped from your hair while washing. I wash with shampoo bars and my hair doesn't get stripped. I do deep condition when I feel the need, which isn't all that often.

Give the oils a try to see how your hair responds. I use shampoo bars to wash with and I add olive oil to my lather before my last rinse. It makes my hair very soft. I used to look for conditioner to give me soft feeling hair, but I get that with olive oil. Olive oil or any other oil may or may not work for you, but you can try them.
    A water and glycerin spray sounds good for moisture, so you could add that to your routine too.

Just experiment to see how your hair does best. You may be able to go without conditioner, but may like the way your hair feels with it. It is possible to go without, but if you feel that your hair is suffering for it, by all means go back to using it.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much eshabesha! I will go ahead and see if my hair likes living without conditoner for a while. I'm going to try the Olive Oil and the Sheaaloe too.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really. As long as you have a way to add the moisture back that was stripped by the shampoo you will be fine.

Its like me for example. I cant use condish just yet cause my hair isnt fully loced yet. So ive made my own spritz concoction of water and eo's to add moisture without hinderin my locijng process.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried mayo? egg? olive oil and honey? rosemary tea? I use castor oil and it is a staple for me now! I do my hair with it and my hair stays moisturized for 48 hours! I have not had that in years. I don't even use conditioner anymore.
    Let Go. Let God.

For With God, Nothing Shall Be Impossible.

When Praises Go Up, Blessings Come Down.

What Have You Done For God Today?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lovelybrown View Post
    I have discovered that no commerical conditioners are working for me.
    Same for me. I have to convert to as natural as possible, unrefined coconut oil and olive!
    2 Awesome 2be forgotten Mia Fite/ etifaim luv u 4life