xotica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Room decor...big...snore? I HATE IT!

I moved into this apartment a few months ago & I have NO idea what to do with my bedroom. The way I have it arranged now is okay, but could be better.

Description of room : It's a rectangular room. In the bottom left is the door to come in. On the left wall is my side table, short dresser and closet. The northern wall has a window in the middle which leads to the fire escape. It has a radiator right under it. It also has the second outlet [the other is on the back wall] so my tall dresser & TV are in the northern right corner next to the radiator & window. The problem is in the bottom right corner there is this weird..column? like thing that sticks out. My queen sized bed is against the right wall [side] and against this column [the head board]. The right wall has a window as well. But the room isn't wide enough to place my headboard up against that wall.

So, really I can't move my bed from this area. The gap that's created from having my bed against this column is driving me CRAZY. I can walk behind my bed & turn completely around, bend down & clean/pick things up..so you get the idea of how big it is. The frame is iron and kind of curvy..similar to a sleigh bed. I was thinking of shifting it over and putting it against the back wall only..but then it'll have this odd gap on the side. Knowing me i'll fall off or sumtin..I CAN'T BE FALLING OF BEDS!! I can't center the bed on the back wall, because then it'll be in the way of the door.

I'm tryna fancy up my room since I'm gonna be here for awhile. I wanna make it look more home-y. Right now it's a white stark blank box with this awful behind the bed gap!! It's liveable but not conductive to anything. When I go in there I just wanna leave right back out..or sleep/watch tv. I need idea's ya'll!

Also, I'm young, broke, & can't paint [apt rules ]. FYI. ROFL.

But I can be pretty crafty...so crafty ideas very welcome!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apartment Therapy. Don't look at the brand names (though they don't always say what it is) just look at it for ideas. And each city has a different vibe to it. My favourite is NYC but they are all inspiring.

PS: Can you paint if you promise in writing to repaint it back to white (I'm assuming) when you leave?)
    Last edited by Karibana; 10-25-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can, post a picture of your blank canvas... What you hope to obtain; prefered color scheme and/or colors that relax you, and a budget. Tell us something about you, lifestyle, so that it can be incorporated into the decor. Let's see what we come up with.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the inspiring links you guys =)

Anybody have any ideas about the gap behind the bed thing though?

I can try to get a picture..but it'll have all my furniture in it..is that blank? Soon as I clean it rofl

Um, I hope to obtain err...something a bit more me? I don't live alone so my bedroom is where I go to just be alone...hang out with myself. It's where I feel most comfortable.

I can't think for the life of me of a color scheme, I'm pretty open. Though, I think I'd like it to be more androgynous. If there's something feminine about it, I'd need something masculine to balance it out. I'd be okay with something masculine dominate though. But def not completely feminine.

My furniture is brown & black though & my shades are pink [eww. But I can't put too many holes in the wall to hang curtains =( ]. If that helps for a base.

Something about me? Um, I'm weird? I always have a hard time answering that question...I'm eclectic, eccentric, I like color but I like neutrals. [if that makes ANY sense WHAT so ever]. I like androgyny. I might be a tiny bit kitschy... I'm a c*nty drama queen/king..& I know it. I like punkish kinda stuff...& industrial..and umm umm old hollywood glamour. & victorian. & tribal.

See, this is why I need a thread to help me because idk what the hell I want...lol. I'm all over the place!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what, my walls are white with an accent wall of a different coulour to set the tone for a colour scheme. Let me backtrack, first you should set a colour scheme. The easiest way to do that is to use your bedspread, curtains or carpet . that have a colourful print on it, as a jumping off point. For example, if you get this bed spread, an exemple of non gender specific pattern and colour scheme, you'll base the colours you use for the rest of you room on it. You could paint canvasses in colours similars to the ones in your bed spread to hang on your wall behind your bed, or you could stretch a fabric (a flat bedsheet would do) behind your bed to make it a feature wall. And the accessories you get should more or less match the colours in that bedspread. Here's two ways they accessorized the room around that bed.

My example above is based on a bedspread but you can do the same thing based on a colourful carpet. If you were to find curtains like have a strong colourful graphic print like that bedspread above, the bed linens should be either a smaller scale print or solid colours. HTH.

To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds like a good idea too, thanks!

Anyone else? Specially with the gap behind my beeeddd

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really hard to imagine your room's configuration. Why don't you have the headboard against the right or left wall?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured it was...I really should get a picture up.

Well, my room isn't wide enough to accommodate the length of my bed [maybe without the bedframe..the sleigh style makes it a lot longer]..so the options were front wall or back wall. But the front wall has an exposed radiator in the middle of it

Not only do I sleep a bit wild, I don't wanna be responsible for friends comin over & burning themselves because I have my bed next to it..lol.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humm, in that case maybe you'll have to consider changing beds, maybe even go for a Murphy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast