Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ayana862004 View Post
    did a person of color say that to you?... or was it a wyte person?
    From the OP:

I know for sure that he is very...(what's the word) confused and disturbed and probably hates that he is black...
    "Coal mining is harder [than writing]. Do you think miners stand around all day talking about how hard it is to mine for coal? They do not. They simply dig."
    --Sugar, a writer from The Rumpus
    My Blog

*Eternal thanks to the person who made me PANK!! *

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP--I can remember being where you are. Today I just don't feel affected by people who think like your friend. I've learned the best thing I can do for such people is keep loving my hair and doing what I'm doing for me. That's more convincing than anything.

I no longer comment--I just do my thing. I don't feel compelled to do more anymore and rarely get flustered and offended by this type of ignorance.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LBellatrix View Post
    This seriously needs to be put on a NP Quotes Wall of Fame somewhere...it pretty much applies to life IN GENERAL. Can I get an amen?

Buni, to answer your question of "how do you deal?" YOU DON'T. You can't change an individual...you can only change how you choose to interact with this individual.
    Ah LBell...you know I got where I am thanks to NP and the oh so wise vets around here. Y'all helped me developed love for my hair as it is, early on in my growth and I thank you so much for that.
    Wear your hair like you MEAN IT...LBellatrix
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~
    http://dezgoesnatural.blogspot.com
    See profile for fotki link (finally updated)
    Last hit of the white creamy crack: June 2007
    Full fledged nappy: 12/29/2007

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with juniormints. Here is a list of things I have seen become popular that was once considered negative about our race.

Dark Skin - (now people are getting cancer in tanning beds)
    Full Lips - ( bet no one here needs botox)
    Round dierrere? (spelling) (butt implants)

I don't have time to list more but you ladies know exactly what I mean.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My husband and I were discussing this post. He said that it is so funny that the hair industry preys upon the insecurities of women of all races. Think about it. If

White women...your hair is too thin, lifeless, straight, without texture, you need to buy products that give you curl, waves, volume...

Black women....your hair is too thick, wild, you need to straighten it and make it sleek and smooth.

They just want our money, they dont care about us at all.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't be around the negativity. That person has some serious self-hate issues and likely has a negative outlook on you as well. If I were you, I'd have to excuse myself from being around said person. Period.

My two pennies. For what they are worth.
    pswd for all albums=browni's hair
    http://public.fotki.com/mizbrownimd

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You wana know what's funny?...for the most part when my white friends look at my busshy hair...they like it and some even wonder how I get it that way (and im n the TRANSITION stage)...lol as a group of ppl we r our own worse critics.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MizBrowniMD View Post
    I couldn't be around the negativity. That person has some serious self-hate issues and likely has a negative outlook on you as well. If I were you, I'd have to excuse myself from being around said person. Period.

My two pennies. For what they are worth.
    That is exactly what I did with a girl that I use to work with. Serious self-hate issues - I really did not need the negativity
    My Fotki

Why are you trying so hard to blend in when you were born to stand out

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica_X View Post
    People like that, I keep quiet and let them stay stupid. However, when they start up about MY appearance, then I quickly tell them, "Don't get mad at the world just because YOU'RE ugly" (or any other thing that they don't like about themselves). They usually change the subject soon after that.

I know everyone has issues, but I hate people who project their issues onto others.

exactly. some people i just tend to see as throwbacks to what humans would have been like had we not all learned to walk upright and use language. mentally, i just sip a cup of tea and eat popcorn while they dig themselves into a hole of stupidity

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is so sad that some of our people still harbor so much self hatred that is so deeply ingrained that it will possibly never go away. For pete's sake it's hair. Nothing more. Nothing less. It's hair. I am natural because I want to be. Others straighen their hair because they want to. As long as I am happy with my hair then what anyone has to say about they way I wear is not relevant to me.
    One would think this would be common sense by now. However, I have learned that sense isn't always common.
    Don't waste your time trying to debate the situation because you know what? You will be the one who walks away upset and he will go off oblivous!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast