Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    i'd rather be "over"dressed than under. when you're underdressed you look drab and feel drab. but when you're dressed to the 9's, you look good and feel good. comfort IS important, but style and confidence is just as important
    Yup! So many times people asked me "why are you so dressed up." I love looking good.

xotica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenellm View Post
    Yup! So many times people asked me "why are you so dressed up." I love looking good.
    I could never hang out with ya'll. I'm always dressed down more or less. Have people wondering who is that girl following ya'll around...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xotica View Post
    I could never hang out with ya'll. I'm always dressed down more or less. Have people wondering who is that girl following ya'll around...
    hang with me long enough and you'll eventually up your ante. believe me, 3 of my friends has over time just from being around me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope I don't make anyone mad, but to me, it's about dressing appropriately, and knowing what you really look like. Not showing excessive skin, females not wearing stuff that's too low/high/tight, older females not trying to recapture their lost youth and just looking tacky half the time (celebs are the worst offenders of this, but I see regular people do it too). Men wearing pants that fit them and not looking pregnant, or sagging. Wearing the right clothing for the right environment. Old guys still trying to dress and look and act like they're in their 20s. Parents not embarrassing their kids and kids not embarrassing their paents when they're out together. Stuff like that. Regardless of what they wear, people should just be reasonable and use common sense.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been watching WNTW, How To Look Good Naked (Brit version) and recently Tim Gunn and these shows have taught me to be more confident about what to try on. I take what they say as pointers but at the end of the day, the dressing room mirror is what tells me if I should wear something. Recently I tried on an horizontal stripe cardi and I was suprised that I could wear it. I guess that for someone with no confidence and no idea of how to put themselves together, those shows could be limiting but then if you have no sense of style, it's a good starting point.

This said, since I'm 33, I leave the über trendy looks for the kids and my stylish friend. Personally I go for hits of trendy mixed with basics. And a faboulous pair of shoes...

Blog - Twitter - Ravelry - Pinterest
    To those of you who've been digging through Celebrerie archives and liking my posts, thank you

xotica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    hang with me long enough and you'll eventually up your ante. believe me, 3 of my friends has over time just from being around me
    LOL! Lawd, I can believe it too. You know I'm a butch queen deep down inside.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karibana View Post

This said, since I'm 33, I leave the über trendy looks for the kids and my stylish friend. Personally I go for hits of trendy mixed with basics. And a faboulous pair of shoes...
    i like that @ the bolded

Quote Originally Posted by xotica View Post
    LOL! Lawd, I can believe it too. You know I'm a butch queen deep down inside.
    to me, that only means that you got swagga!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to LOVE watching "What Not To Wear". I have gotten many tips from the show. I stopped wearing horizontal stripes years ago because they DO make me look bigger. Vertical stripes (depending on the width/color of the stripes) look way better.

That show not only helps the people on the show but the people watching it. I don't agree with everything they suggest a person wears but they are certainly entitled to their opinion. It's the haircuts I am usually not fond of.
    What good do your words do, if they can't understand you? (Badu)

God is good all the time.

monili is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trenellm View Post
    Thirded! At my school, where jeans and sweats are the norm, I'm the girl in dresses and boots. I don't even own boots.

As for the whole rules debate, imo, you have to know the rules to break them! That's why I agree that shows like WNTW and Tim Gunn's Guide are valuable. The people on those shows are usually clueless. They have no idea what looks good on them or how to dress well. You have to walk before you can run. Once you get the basics down, then you can start get more creative with your personal style.

However, the basics should be basics that work for you, not some generic list. I hate that about Tim Gunn's show. I'm a stylist person (imo) and don't own a single white button down. I hate them for multiple reasons, though I like them on other people. I like that WNTW tries to keep the person's personal style and tailor a wardrobe that works for their style, lifestyle and body type while still pushing their boundaries.

monili is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, I find it a little odd when I see an older woman wearing something that's clearly a very young look (like they stole it from their teenage daughter), even if they still have the body for it. Something about a wrinkled face and teenybopper clothes screams cougar too me (sorry for the clearly sexist terminology, but you know what I mean). You can definitely be sexy as you age (see Tina Turner, Angela Basset, Meryl Streep, Helen Mirren, etc), but do it an age and body appropriate way.

:repares to be flamed::

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast