Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Michelle Obama

A coworker of mine was at Arlington Cemetery on Veteran's Day and to his surprise with no prior announcement, the President and First Lady come and begin talking to some of the family there who were visiting.

He took some good close pictures and Michelle was in the rain with no umbrella (along) with Barak just talking to the families.

I bring this up because someone put it out there that she was natural and that she gets her hair flat ironed. The last time I foolishly got my hair flat ironed, I paid 60 dollars and it lasted a hot 5 minutes.

All of this to say, can a flat ironed natural stand out in the rain, have conversations and not leave with a fro?

I don't think she's natural--she had it slightly pulled back and pinned---but I don't think she's natural.

He has pictures of them leaving the cemetary and her hair looked like it did when she and her husband arrived.

Doesn't validate or invalidate my decision to be a natural but it's hard for me to picture a flat ironed natural not running for cover or at least wearing a dressy hat to go with her sharp suit.

xotica is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could've sworn that she was relaxed. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that she's relaxes...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure either but I know that just like you said, heat straightened natural hair goes back to normal when wet. I think she has a perm too, but I still love her and our President!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    last fire cream: May 2009 BC: June 2009
    http://public.fotki.com/msantos99/

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." Mother Teresa

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read somewhere that she was against re.laxers and does not use them... Also, I have a friend who does not perm... When her hair gets wet, depending on how hard it's raining, she'll either have a slight wave or a huge fro, but a loose, fluffy one...

It may depend on her texture and whether or not she has heat damage... I recently got a f.lat i.ron job that caused sections of my hair to remain almost straight... It's starting to return, but it is still looser than my normal curl pattern.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course she's not natural, not with her hair straight like that. As for whether or not she relaxes, I think there's a good chance she does.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read an article where her hairstylist was supposedly interviewed and he mentioned that she was natural and flat ironed. Then I read a post by someone on a message board who said her mother worked for a magazine that interviewed Michell and was told that the First Lady was relaxed, but was thinking about transition.

I think she's relaxed. I remember an article Obama gave to MTV on the MTV website and he was asked about natural hair. Obama said he liked natural hair and that his daughters were natural. He never mentioned his wife being natural, which is what convinced me that she's not.

Personally, I really don't care, though. My hair is already a pain to take care of, so I'm not worrying about someone else's.
    [U]Listening to:[/U] Twilight and New Moon soundtracks.
    [U]Reading:[/U] Pride and Prejudice, Harry Potter, Atonement, and The Road.
    [U]Watching:[/U] Survivor, Jay Leno, and Desperate Housewives.
    [U]Loving:[/U] Life.[COLOR=LemonChiffon]....[/COLOR] http://www.youtube.com/user/stacylynn79

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by april2 View Post
    He took some good close pictures and Michelle was in the rain with no umbrella (along) with Barak just talking to the families.

He has pictures of them leaving the cemetary and her hair looked like it did when she and her husband arrived.
    Let's see the pictures then!
    Natural since 200-suttin. Loced up since 1st April 2009!

My Fotki: Last updated: 12th Jun 10
    http://public.fotki.com/LadyLuck4u2c/locks-1

bhop13 is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never believed she was natural. In order to keep her hair that straight and healthy (yes I think relaxed hair can be healthy) all of the time it would take a lot of product and a lot of heat and I know I've personally heard her stylist warn women against using too much heat. I've also never read an article or heard her stylist say "Michelle Obama is natural" or "Michelle Obama doesn't relax her hair."
    GOT PANK??
    Beauty is not defined by the masses, but by the opinion of the individual ~Rune Leknes
    http://public.fotki.com/bhop13/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Exotica_X View Post
    Of course she's not natural, not with her hair straight like that. As for whether or not she relaxes, I think there's a good chance she does.

This is the silliest concept ever. I think its insulting to dictate how a natural chick wears her hair on her natural journey. The opinions on this site can be so judgmental. Using heat on my hair doesnt make me less natural, it just means I like to wear my hair different ie straight, twist, braids and whatever else style I can think of. My sister is natural, hasnt had a relaxer in umpteen years (wayy before I jumped on the bandwagon), yet she wears her hair flat ironed and in pretty curls and been doing it for years and her hairs is absolutely beautiful and I look at her as a natural because she doesnt chemically alter her hair texture. I wear my hair in many different styles also, "curls, flat ironed, twist, braids, I have NO heat damage..I like DIVERSITY and before anybody states it I honestly could care less who doesnt support ME using heat on MY hair, hell its my hair.

And when my sister decides to wear a wash n go (in the summers) it curls up just like mine. Everybody aint gon have heat damage, dang. and another thing, if she gets caught up in the rain her hair doesnt puff out like a full blown afro. Its because different people have different texture cause my turns into a puff and I'm opk with that style too . Like I stated, neither she nor myself are non natural because of the diversity within which we choose to wear OUR hair...I chose to go natural because I define whats beautiful on ME and now that I am natural (and LOVING IT) I STILL define what is beautiful on me in all its diversity.
    Last edited by aishaisme; 11-14-2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Join in with me for this hair challenge
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y31rYWbERu4[/url]
    check me out twa's! continuously adding pics 8)
    [URL]http://public.fotki.com/aishaisme/[/URL]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^
    I don't think that she's saying that Michelle is not 'one of us' because she has natural hair and has chosen to straighten it.

What she's saying is that there is no way that anyone with virgin, natural, afro textured hair can get it that way without the use of chemicals. Not even the Dominicans could get it that straight.
    Quit tripping on what you're wearing on your behind and get some education in your head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast