Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 Length Retention Challenge

Welcome to the 2010 Length Retention Challenge.
    Your hair is constantly growing, but the issue that many of us have is holding onto it. Share your best advice and methods for retaining length. Whether you want to start retaining more of your growth or are already doing a good job of it, join in and share some support.
    This challenge ends December 31, 2010.

GalaxyGirl started this thread a few years back and there is only one rule:
    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl2010 View Post
    the rule is to try and keep your hair healthy as possible (whatever that means for you) so that the length that you gain from growth translates to length at the ends.
    When you join tell us about your hair, how much length you think you retain in a year (if you know), and give a starting length in inches so that you can compare your length at the end of the year.

Here is a thread where others have shared how they retain length.
    "If you want longer hair you need to live by your ends, and die by your ends. They are all that matter." -mymy

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in on this challenge as i am trying to grow my hair out! I am a sucker for a pair of scissors and am trying to behave! I cut my hair all the way off in July of 2009 and had about 1/4 of an inch of hair. Here it is almost six months later, and I have about 2 inches of hair, maybe a bit more but not much! I think this year, I can retain about 4-6 inches of hair. I'm going to keep it protected and stay away from the dye! I think if i want to lighten it, I will try some henna this time around! I am also going to DC any SLS shampoo......okay, okay, I need that Suave daily Clarifying every now and then, but that's it, I swear!!!!
    "Love is patient and kind, Love is not jealous, conceited, proud or boastful, it is not arrogant, selfish, irritable or rude. Love does not keep a record of wrongs. Love is not happy with evil, but is happy with the truth, Love never gives up , and its faith, hope and patience never fail. Love is eternal." - 1 Corinthians 13 :))

MoNappy28-Holla! http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff194/soulstar79/

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely need to join this challenge as I find myself having to cut my ends EVERY time I do my hair now because my ends are so ate up ! I have no idea what's going on with my hair lately (besides being preggo) but my hair is fine until I wash it whether it be co-wash or shampoo and I sit under my hair steamer for 25 min. Rinse add my leave-in and do fat twists for it to dry. Once I take it down the next day to retwist in a style the ends are just a mess.

Right now my hair is shoulder-length in back and on sides and in the front it's right below my lip...may be a little shorter cause I had to cut it again this past Monday.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm well i have 4a/4b/3c hair and its very soft with and without products .i dont have a clue how much i retain in a yr.my current length is 3 inches /3 and a half inches and 4 inches .this is because my hair is not the same length all around but they're around that area when unstretched but when stretched theres always 2 inches added.

Reviews
    Read 6 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post hmmm

Great minds think alike because I just uploaded a video measuring my hair and talking about what I plan on doing in 2010. It's going to be a series.

Basically just keeping my hair in a cute protective style (shooting for 2-3 weeks at a time) and keeping it moisturized. Between styles I will be cleansing and DCing my hair.

I will be taking MSM sulfur as a daily supplement and drinking tons of water as well.

My vid:

"Authenticity is true beauty."
    "Asking God why He gave us this hair, then praying for it to grow..." Stahp it!
    /

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in...

Right now I'm about 6" -8" (estimation). I have normal to fine dense hair. I'm going through post partum shedding right now which is leading to knots and unhappy ends but my hair overall feels a lot better than it did a month ago.
    I'm not sure how much my hair will grow in a year but I know I can get some good growth if i take care of it and leave it alone.

my first trial is to do small twists and keep them in for a month at a time doing a style progression. I.E once I wash after a week or so I'll curl them and wear them like that, then take the twists out for a twist out moving on to a puff and do it all over again. That way I don't get bored and I'm keeping my ends protected.

km

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dammit, I had a different reply but lost it...serves me right since I'm supposed to be working anyway...

I say I'm not really hung up on length, and it's true, but as I was doing my hair this morning I realized that 1) the only time I've EVER had double-digit length in my entire LIFE was when I was locked and 2) in most parts of my head I'm only an inch or two away from double-digit length now. So assuming I'm healthy (I could do better, but in general I'm all right), there's no reason why I shouldn't end 2010 in the double-digits ASSUMING I modify my styling regimen such that I leave my hair alone as much as possible while still avoiding twists and fake hair (and locking).

So some big changes I'm making for 2010 are:

- Accepting that the updo (with concealed ends) will be my standard style. This will make styling post-wash, and nightly care, pretty straightforward: Stretch the hair as much as possible and keep it stretched until the next wash. My challenge here will involve keeping the updos interesting and attractive...and this is where creativity and hair accessories come in. I'm not a fan of claw clips but guess what's holding up the top half of my hair today? lol
    - Being proactive by dusting at the change of seasons instead of waiting 5-6 months before being forced to pull out the scissors and trim due to excessive knotting and tangling.

It's too bad that I've only just now discovered how awesome KCCC is for twistouts but oh well...if I'm going to stick to updos then there's really no need to use anything for curl definition. Me and my coconut oil and my shea butter blends are about to become BFFs.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm joining.

Hopefully I can get some more pointers.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so doing this. I just read another's blog on her hair goal being an inch a month, which i don't think is attainable for me (i don't believe my hair grows that fast). i *think* i have about 3 to 4 inches of hair now - i am scissor happy and have a hard time with uneven lengths; also, over the summer i went very light with highlights that took a real toll on my hair resulting in practically another big chop. so, i plan to focus on taking care of my hair, beind diligent with moisture and end-sealing, putting it up at night and using my silk scarf or finding a bonnet that will stay on all night. right now, i'm taking a basic multivitamin (one a day for women) but i have heard great things about it. i'm also going to stick with a basic regimen (i have a full-on pj) and try to keep my hands out of my hair as much as possible. i have "o" (on the lois scale) or i guess type 4a/4b hair that clumps easily and has a lot of shrinkage. i have no idea how fast my hair grows, but i aim aiming for six inches in 2010.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure how much hair I can retain in a year, but I think I am going to take a pic tonight and put it in my fotki. On this day next year, I will take another one and post them both. I've never measured my hair, but I think it's between 5 and 6 inches long.

Also, I've never had a regimen and I don't have the patience to start having one. I just do what I feel needs to be done at that time. So far so good.
    Last edited by chocodoll; 01-01-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Stand For Something, or You'll Fall For Anything
    BC 5/23/09
    loc journey 9/6/10

http://members.fotki.com/Chocodoll/

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast