Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do I brush or comb it?

I dont mean to sound so ignorant but I dont know how. Just last night I got up and I was compelled to bc by my couriousity. The thing is, I never thought I'd do it after 2 months. I was actually thinking of doing it after 2 years! This is big for me. I love the feel of my hair. Thats the best reward even if other ppl dont understand it. But I dont want to damage my hair when I'm just getting to get to know it so I was wondering if you all could tell me. How do I care for it? I know everyone has their own regimens but I need to basics on how to brush it and comb it. May you could throw in what to use to smooth my twa down. Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ladi Capri When I 1st had my twa, I didn't much comb/brush my hair unless it was finger combing. However, when it started growing and I started going through my experimental phase, an NP sister introduced me to a denman brush and wide tooth comb... I love them both! Hopefully you will find what works for you but just remember with combs, the wider the better
    PEACE = Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation = PEACE

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't feel bad for not knowing, it's not your fault and at least you're trying to find out. One thing you must always remember is that what worked for relaxed hair, will more than likely not work with naturally kinky/curly hair.

Which brings me to this. Never detangle your hair while it's dry. Always do it while it's wet or damp.

If you want to reduce the breakage to the max, I would recommend gently finger combing your hair under running water (to reduce amount of possible hair breakage).

If you're going to use a comb, stick with wide tooth combs and afro picks. The smaller toothed combs that you once may have used while you were relaxed will not work with thicker hair. For me, the best way to detangle with a comb or brush is while I'm under the shower (as the water is running through my head). Also, if you're going to use an afro pick on long hair, make sure to use the longer tooth ones. If you're using them on short hair, it would be best to use the shorter ones.

If you're going to brush, use Denman brushes. There are some who hate Denman brushes because they say it breaks their hair off. However, I think it could be due to how some use the brush. I recommend using this particular brush under running water, gently moving it from root to tip (don't yank it through). The reason why Deman brushes should be use as opposed to most spike brushes is because the average spike brush may only end up breaking off in your hair, depending on how thick/long it is. Denman brushes are made in a way that will not do this.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i recently cut off my dreads so working with a twa is new for me again...what i use right now with the short length is a hair pick...i may sleep with a satin cap on to hold in moisture...when i wake, if im not going to wash/co-wash it, i will spray some stay soft fro spray, rub it in and pick it out...then i may rub a little carrot oil creme in, followed by some gel, for a lil' definition...i probably wash my twa every two days...i use VO5 blackberry tea poo and condish...thats about it...its really easy...once u chop it, u'll b able to gage what it is ur hair needs...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Edit. In the part where I spoke on using afro picks, where I said "long hair," I meant to say "a medium to big afro." So if you have a medium to big afro, it would be best to use a long toothed afro pick if you're using that. I noticed that when my hair grew out, a shorter afro pick did not suit my has good as a longer one.

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VERY important: If you're going to use a Denman on a TWA, BE SLOW AND CAREFUL. Actually you should be careful regardless of the hair length because the Denman is no joke.

I think the Goody Styling Therapy Brush is much safer, though in my experience it's best used on dry hair.

As for smoothing the TWA down...there are gels you can use but I'd suggest that if you're going to grow your hair out, you should start getting used to your hair NOT being "smoothed down" all the time, or even most of the time. Welcome to the hardest part of going natural: the MENTAL part.
    Hello, 2021. Glad to see you. Hope you're bringing us goodness and light this year!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lady.Capri, you should definitely check out motowngirl.com. That's where I learned the basics of combing and stuff. Basically, a lot of us like to detangle our hair when it's wet with conditioner. Then, you use a good paddle brush or wide-tooth comb, comb the ends, then bring the comb up higher, bring the comb down, working your way up to the root. Some people prefer to comb their hair damp, without conditioner, etc., but I wouldn't suggest you comb your hair dry, because as you can see, very few people do that.

Florence, (Italy, I wish:D) South Carolina
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks soooo much. This all is really helpful to me

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I realized I said root to tip, but meant to say tip to root. But then I see someone else cleared that for me.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey girl!!! When I had a twa I didn't know what to do. I used a big wide tooth comb to stretch my hair so I could do coils. I used Shea butter and coconut oil. I also add essential oils for scent. I went to Sally's and bought a Denman brush as my hair got longer and it works best in detangling. I don't lose much.
    We aren't supposed to comb our hair that will damage it.
    Baby Dee