Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is one of the best protective styles, but for me, I'm not sure it's conducive for where I work. I buy the thread which is brought in from Nigeria at Brixton market and they are normally 3 for £1.

When I washed my hair last week, I used the threading method just to stretch my hair before my 2STs and it looked like I'd taken a hair dryer to my hair it was that good. (I will post photos in my fotki).

I think when you do do threading it's best to try and keep it in for at least 2 weeks (no washing or rinsing in between), take the hair out and start again. When I used to do my Mum's hair she kept her's in for 3 weeks at a time.

Good luck.
    "...Those that seek the Lord, lack no good thing....."
    Last CFC = April 2004. BC = chopped/trimmed as 'n' when.
    Current length = about 11 inches (CNAPP)
    I AM PINK, are you?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blessing02 View Post
    I think this is one of the best protective styles, but for me, I'm not sure it's conducive for where I work. I buy the thread which is brought in from Nigeria at Brixton market and they are normally 3 for £1.

When I washed my hair last week, I used the threading method just to stretch my hair before my 2STs and it looked like I'd taken a hair dryer to my hair it was that good. (I will post photos in my fotki).

I think when you do do threading it's best to try and keep it in for at least 2 weeks (no washing or rinsing in between), take the hair out and start again. When I used to do my Mum's hair she kept her's in for 3 weeks at a time.

Good luck.
    Whaaat !!? 2/3 weeks?!!! i keep it overnight or maybe no more than a weekend.
    but if keepin it 2/3weeks work for you, it's great.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of these posts have really helped. keep em coming!!!!
    I really planning on doing this style once i get the thread.
    do they sell it in the USA. What is the name of it?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We used to do it all the time, even now my sister still does to her girls. It's a really nice protective hair style; it can last you up for 2 weeks or more if keep it nice and don't put it to tight.

When i was in Africa this past summer, they had a new style which they call that one old school'; so I got my hair done with this new style where they add extentions (Indian human real hair) with the elastic thread instead of the of basic thread....

Let me tell you, my hair grow like crazy; I was so amazed, I don't know if it was the weather but that style maded my hair grow and it was healthy and beautiful (until i went to my hairdresser and its all damaged.

This style makes your hair grow abit faster, especially if you treat it(take care of it).

ps. it's the easiest thing you can do.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The African hair threading sounds very interesting. I took a look at Sweet Africa's picture, I like it. But I don't think the way she had it styled would suite me.
    If I say napptural and you say natural, we're talking about the same thing-differently. But if I say natural and you say re.laxer, then one of us is f*ckin wrong.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Asali_Damali View Post
    The African hair threading sounds very interesting. I took a look at Sweet Africa's picture, I like it. But I don't think the way she had it styled would suite me.
    i agree... too scalpy and gapped for my liking. meh

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to find an older thread in which i described how to thread to no avail.

However, I have no pictorials or youtube videos.

Growing up, my hair was always threaded (we call it plaiting). My mother had skills. Mad skills. Threaded hairstyles (especially if they are intricate) do last. On average I would wear them 2-3 weeks. I have never washed my hair threaded, but even when the style was kept for long it didn't cause any premature locking unlike keeping twists/braids for long.

Also, we didn't use that rubbery/plastic thread the Nigerians use. We used thread (I don't know how else to explain it). It is stronger than regular sewing thread.

Here is an interesting Nigerian book. and his webpage. Another photo album from the Congo.
    ...with a corresponding video on Huffington Post.

As to a tutorial, it's really difficult. It's like writing a step to step to how to cornrow. Even if you describe the corn-row mechanism well, we all know that cornrow styles are all about how you section the hair, how small each row is, which direction you do it in, and all the myriad of patterns.etc etc

Same is true with threading hair.

But in general:

1) Section hair.
    2) Comb section of hair
    3) Hold hair as close to scalp in one hand (A) between thumb & forefinger
    4) With other hand (B) bring thread and place it under thumb (A), on top of hair while still keeping a very taut hold on the hair
    5) Now use hand B to wrap the thread all around the section of hair. After the first few wraps, the thread at the base will "hold" and you just slide hand A gradually down while still wrapping with hand B
    6) When you reach the end of the hair make a loop, bring the thread through to form a knot, then cut off excess. This keeps the whole hair section threaded.
    7) Repeat for other hair sections
    You will be left with threaded hair poking in all different directions depending on how you sectioned (diamond, square, rectangular) and patterned (brick layered, or on top of each other)
    9) Now manipulate each plait by bending at the root (near the scalp) in the direction you want it to lay.
    10) Now using more thread, wrap bunches of the plaits together in the way you want the final style to be.

Other tips/expectations
    1) Oil/grease the hair before threading, not afterwards
    2) Cut your thread before hand, but try not to make it longer than an arm's length otw you will tangle yourself
    3) You may have to use more than one thread on each section of hair. If this is the case you just start the new thread on top of the old thread in the same manner (hold it under the thumb-hand A until it's secure on it's own).
    4) Thread closer if you want stiffer plaits and plaits that result in more stretch/softer hair.
    5) Thread looser if you want a more pliable plait and if you want designs within the plait.

Another variation I liked & which takes less time:
    1)thread wrap the hair at the base for about 1-2cm
    2) divide the hair into three
    3) have the dangling thread be in one (anyone) of the 3 sections
    4) now braid the hair almost all the way to the end
    5) with the last inch, find the thread within the plait and continue to thread all the way to the end and knot
    This style hangs well and doesn't stick out all over the head because it's more pliable.

I don't thread my hair often as a style to wear because
    (1) it takes a really long time (especially if your hair is longer)
    (2) I can't section my hair well and sectioning is very important for the final product
    (3) I'm not very good at keeping the base taut on my own head
    but I do thread in large sections if all I'm trying to do is stretch it out overnight or something. In this case i use wool, because it's thicker size covers more area.

In terms of threads/yarn to use, I wouldn't use "fluffy" ones because they can draw moisture out of your own hair; similar to how hair extensions can dry out your own hair and cause split ends. You don't have to go out of your way to find the Nigerian thread. You just want a strong thread. You may need to double the thread on itself to make it stronger. I've used crochet yarn with excellent success - in this case I don't double up. Also the thread/yarn you use dictates how stiff the plait will be when all is done (that plus how closely you thread)

Hope that's helpful in someway.
    Last edited by tenachie; 02-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^that smiley is misplaced!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is a great set of instructions tenachie! Thanks!

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**Starry eyes**
    Thanks for posting instructions! I have yarn braids in right now so I took one out and grabbed my burgandy thread and did a practice attempt on the first method you described.

I actually tried it with black thread at first but i noticed my self trying to twist my hair rather than wrap it with the yarn, which is why I switched colors to practice and see where i wasnt wrapping close enough.

.....snowing all weekend, so i'll have plenty of time to practice...lol
    Last CFC: December 24, 2008 Nappy Born Day: June 18th, 2009 21 Months & Counting!
    Journey in Pictures http://members.fotki.com/Notoriously-Nappy/about/
    YouTube :http://www.youtube.com/user/NotoriousLYNappy1
    Nifty Style Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEnI8OacDA
    Shealoe Lotion Experiment:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyCmUoJLE

11. Thanks IvonNappy thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast