Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the instructions Tenachie. I won't be doing this on my own head as I have locs. But I got me a gaggle of nieces with natural hair.

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated.
    Revelation 21:4 - Psalm 51 - Psalm 121 - Ephesians
    (All words typed above are my experience and/or opinion, please feel free to agree or disagree....just please, do so without malice.)
    Loc'ed: 19/NOV/08 - Love ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~NP Convert since 06/08

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Xi View Post
    **Starry eyes**
    Thanks for posting instructions! I have yarn braids in right now so I took one out and grabbed my burgandy thread and did a practice attempt on the first method you described.

I actually tried it with black thread at first but i noticed my self trying to twist my hair rather than wrap it with the yarn, which is why I switched colors to practice and see where i wasnt wrapping close enough.

.....snowing all weekend, so i'll have plenty of time to practice...lol
    hey i was still looking for more details on the african hair threading and I saw your video about the yarn threading, I thought that it was a great idea. I also commented the video. Your hair looked beautiful

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am still searching to find out some good thread to use since I don't know if they sell that particular thread in the USA. Is the thread that they use to sew weave anything close to it? Any suggestions on what thread I should use?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nappyfosho14 View Post
    I also commented the video. Your hair looked beautiful

Thank you!
    I just used the same acrylic yarn i did for yarn braids.
    Tenachie mentioned crocheting thread/yarn too (not sure if those are the same thing.
    Last CFC: December 24, 2008 Nappy Born Day: June 18th, 2009 21 Months & Counting!
    Journey in Pictures http://members.fotki.com/Notoriously-Nappy/about/
    YouTube :http://www.youtube.com/user/NotoriousLYNappy1
    Nifty Style Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEnI8OacDA
    Shealoe Lotion Experiment:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrbyCmUoJLE

Milwaukee, Wi (h-town is always gon' be home)
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Threading thread

Quote Originally Posted by tenachie View Post
    Also, we didn't use that rubbery/plastic thread the Nigerians use. We used thread (I don't know how else to explain it). It is stronger than regular sewing thread.
    I've only tried threading a couple of times and never worn it long but I used crochet thread. It is thin (I prefer size 10) but not thin enough to be difficult to use or harmful to the hair like regular thread. Also, it is not stretchy and it does NOT break easily. This is the stuff used to make lace (think doily). I crocheted something with it and it holds stronger than cloth.

Here are examples in good shopping. It's very cheap and comes in large quantities

http://www.google.com/search?q=croch...a08315cdaab672

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried threading my hair before and it didn't work out for a number of reasons.

1. The thread I ordered said it was very dark brown to match my hair but when I got it it was almost blonde. Of course I did use weaving thread since I didn't want regular thread rubbing against and drying my hair so it may have been the thread I used that cause me problems.
    2. When I would wind the thread around my hair tightly or loosely or just right, after a few hours the thread would slip and slide down the small and thick(and medium for that matter) sections to almost the middle of each section so I'd have about an inch at my roots that was not covered even though I'd covered it. In turn I ended up using more thread to cover those parts but I had to keep doing it every day.
    3. When I finally took the thread out of my hair about a week later finally getting sick of twisting thread every day it gave me sort of fake locs(the roots very loose since the thread kept slipping.) that were very hard to detangle when I no longer wanted them.

I might try banding some time with larger pieces of silk cloth but I will not be threading again.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Wow

I found this to be fascinating. A true old school protective style, innovation with limited resources, innovators and originators always. Over the course of 500 years we have "carded", covered up our hair, pressed, conked, relaxed, weaved and lacefront(ed) our hair to death....

The answer to healthy afro texture hair is found in braids, twists, cornrows, threading, shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, black soap and aloe vera...

without this site I would never have known any of this! thanks Dee creating this medium so that we can be informed and not ignorant!
    <<<been here since 2003>>

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,
    I grew up with this style all the time and my hair grew like weeds. I occasionally do it for my daughters now as well.
    My mom brings both the thread and the rubber when she goes to Nigeria every year, but you ca buy it in the African markets in the bronx.

It is a really easy technique once you try it. I could do it overnight at home but honestly would not leave the house with it. In Nigeria, generally small children do it in their hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the threading thing and I do it in my son's hair all the time. I do a number of patterns with it not just the plain ones and it looks very flash. I have some pictures of his in the Children's Hairstyles. Trust me the style stays for at least 2 weeks, I just oil it and we are good to go. I use wool instead of the nylon thread because the nylon thread breaks hair.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm planning to do this for my daughters. GirlsLoveYourCurls--a member here--put up a great series about this method on her YouTube channel. She used the same thread people use for putting in weave. Easy to find at the Beauty supply.

I also noticed she doesn't wrap the hair with as much thread as I see here--the hair almost looks twisted the way she does it.
    Nappy hair isn't burdensome. Dispel the myths early--blogging nappy hair care for girls.
    Blog
    Fotki
    CherishMyDaughter on YouTube and Facebook

11. Likes Phia liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast