Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Permanent color vs rinse vs no color

HI all,

I'm toying with the idea of coloring my hair. I've read a lot of the hair color threads on Nappturality and other hair boards and I can't decide. I keeping weighing the pros and cons of the different options. So, I decided to post this new thread. Some more info:

I have thin, medium density napps. The kind of cnapp hair that was "easy to p.erm" and/or overprocess in my p.ermie days. The kind of hair that looks skimpy in 2 strand twists and breaks if manipulated too much. I've taken very good care of my nappy hair for over 6 years but only retained substantial length when I stopped combing my hair about 18 months ago (I finger comb and wear my hair in mostly stretched styles). My hair is a light to medium dirt brown color and tends to look dull unless it's stretched . I'm in the swimming pool 2-3 times a week . I'm not really aiming for drastic hair color change, maybe a bit of red or a darker brown or black.

My options:
    Permanent color:The color is more likely to take in my hair, there's less risk of color fading or washing out with chlorine exposure but permanent color is harsher than non permanent, right? Also, might be worse on thin hair that's routinely exposed to chlorine.

Rinse: Less likely to damage hair but color may fade quicker or not even take in hair. I don't want to leave a trail of black cherry behind me while I do my front crawl.

Do you color/have you colored/do you know someone who colors/ had colored hair and also with any of the following features:

-thin hair
    -swims/ used to swim with colored hair
    -has tried rinses vs permanents

Please advise! To be honest, I'm leaning towards a dark rinse but I'm worried that it will come off (in an obvious way) while I'm in the pool. That would be embarrassing and wasteful.

Thanks in advance.

bijoks is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add, I can't use henna.

Thanks

Shae_B is offline Active Nappturality Member
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about the same thing but I dont want permanent hair dye.dye and chlorine sounds like a bad combo to me. really cant help much w/ that but I see u said u dont comb ur hair. It doesn't knot up? I worry about that. Also how can u do diff styles that require parting without combing ur hair.
    Its not about what they think.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shae B,

I can't explain it but my hair now knots up less than before when I used a wide toothed comb. I finger comb and take my time to unpick knots when I part for styles. I still get single strand knots but they are much less than before. I don't do a lot of styles-mostly twistouts, buns and puffs but so far the routine seems to be working. It may have something to do with my texture- fine with strands that tend to go frizzy straight when stretched. Perhaps if my hair was thicker, the routine would not work.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi bijorks, is there plant color without henna in the US? If yes, you could try this. Darker color is possible with it and there is no damage. Even if the color doesn't take, it does at least condition the hair. But I think there is a good chance for you to be happy if you don't expect drastic changes.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you're hair is easily overprocessed then my vote is to go with a semi-perm rinse

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering the same thing. I want color but I dont want it to do damage to my newly natural hair.
    "I'm Free...I'm Free....I'm Free from the Creamy Fire Crack!!!"
    My Fotki:[url]http://public.fotki.com/BrooklynnsMom/[/url]

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've thought of coloring my hair many times, but I guess I've just never gotten bored with my natural color as I've never changed it.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the responses!

I guess I will go with the rinse for now. Does anyone know what happens to color rinsed hair in swimming pools? I used a color rinse for a while when I first went natural and remember seeing lots of color coming out when I washed my hair. Will this also happen when I'm in the pool? I use a swimcap but know that this won't seal my hair from the water.

Also, any recommendations for semi-permanent rinses? I only know of Jazzing and Adore.

Thanks,
    Last edited by bijoks; 02-14-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: new info

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mayuko View Post
    Hi bijorks, is there plant color without henna in the US? If yes, you could try this. Darker color is possible with it and there is no damage. Even if the color doesn't take, it does at least condition the hair. But I think there is a good chance for you to be happy if you don't expect drastic changes.

Thanks Mayuko. I don't know of any. Do you have any particular types in mind? Please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast