Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What's something you LIKE about getting older?

People like to claim getting older is great, but I don't believe them because they never say WHY they think getting older is so great, and everywhere I look only youth is praised. Not even my relatives and other people I know have anything nice to say.

So IS there anything great about getting older?

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Knowing who you are and having the courage to be your true self.
    2. Know how not to sweat the small stuff.
    3. Getting over people. You stop carrying what people think of you.
    4. Having experience and wisdom. I know a lot more now than I did at 20.
    5. Being financially stable. I've accumulated some savings and I don't need a miracle if the light bill is $20 higher than normal.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-being able to roll with the punches more. I've been through a lot of stuff in life and feel I can handle pretty much anything

-having a way firmer sense of who I am, where I'm going and am confident I can get there

-my BS meter is way more developed than when I was younger

-not caring so much what people think of me = very liberating

-not focusing so much on looks as a huge definer of who I am

-being way more in tune with the circle of life, in a spiritual way. if you can get over your fear/loathing of aging, life becomes deeper and you can see the beauty in a lot more things

-not taking myself as seriously as I did when I was younger = more relaxed in general

-looking in the mirror and seeing myself at all ages, as a young girl, as a young woman, as a middle-aged woman. I can look at myself and see myself as an old lady too. And that makes me smile rather than fill me with dread.

-Maturing relationships. I've known my best girlfriends now for 30, 40 years. I'm closer to my siblings more than ever. My relationship with my mother, who I'm very close to, is wonderful.

-I'm still developing intellectually

-new physical surprises: yesterday I swam the front crawl for 45 minutes straight. When I was younger, I could only swim it for about 5 minutes before getting winded.
    Last edited by swingbolder; 02-14-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chachadiva View Post
    1. Knowing who you are and having the courage to be your true self.
    2. Know how not to sweat the small stuff.
    3. Getting over people. You stop carrying what people think of you.
    4. Having experience and wisdom. I know a lot more now than I did at 20.
    5. Being financially stable. I've accumulated some savings and I don't need a miracle if the light bill is $20 higher than normal.
    Cosign all the above,
    http://public.fotki.com/Lockyladyden

Join date March 2004
    Locks installed 12/2005.
    Go PANK you know you want to...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To OP I don't know how old you are, so OLDER may be relative here.

I'm 30. Being older (as compared to teens/twenties) means:

1) I can do what I want when I want and how I want because Mom/Dad don't have a say (they think they do because I'm their responsibility until they pass me off onto a husband, but I'm miles away living my own life)

2) I command respect at work, but that's because I've what I've accomplished and the knowledge I've acquired. It's a reinforcing circle because the more respect I get, the more confident I am in establishing myself besides being one of the youngest (and only black female) on staff and I'm not about to make apologies. I think if I were younger, I would be paralyzed by my predicament.

3) I don't really care what people think of me, I don't care to be in the in-crowd (I've always been like this actually but when I was younger that earned me the label snob, now I just appear to be mature because the people around me are also mature)

4) Tied back to #1, I can spend my money the way I want.

5) I appreciate my body. It took a really long time (and some coaxing along the way from guys) as I blossomed young and was made to feel purely like a sex object. I think this also ties in with the confidence.

6) I know what I want and that's half the battle. With time I should know how to go about getting what I want.

I'm anticipating also that as I gain more confidence I will emerge from my shell more and be more adventurous. I'm looking forward to my life.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rose is still a rose.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Having enough life experience to know how many situations will play out beforehand. This allows me to avoid plenty of drama.

2. Being comfortable in my own skin which means there is no strong desire to be accepted, or engaged by others.

3. Wisdom, wisdom and more wisdom. It might not seem like much but once you have it...it is priceless!

4. More focused and concentrating on what matters most and pretty much dismissing the rest.
    5th year of freedom...

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being alive. (Disclaimer: Still "young", if that matters to some.)
    If your import amid discussion is to ridicule, sabotage, and/or dismiss, you will no longer receive the privilege of my attention. Passive aggressive behaviors are a defense mechanism of oppressed and ultimately even self-defeated persons. Disregarding and/or ridiculing the concerns of others doesn't legitimize or address your own. You have betrayed a critical trust I must have in you that you are engaging or asking of me to enhance each of our perspectives rather than ridicule mine or reaffirm your own biases. Express your own concerns and/or support your own ideals. Your antics reek of repression and aren't constructive.

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's something you LIKE about getting older?

Just realizing now that this is the 40s & beyond forum. Oops

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can sum it up in one word: CLARITY!
    I've never been so sure/certain about what's the right "fit" for me whether in relationships, friendships, career, etc....I can unashamedly and unabashedly be ME in all my glory without seeking validation from others. 10 years ago I teeter tottered and 20 years ago I was a mess with people pleasing but now it's all come to fore that the person that needs the most attention and greatest care is ME and I COME FIRST...only then will I have anything at all to give to the world. Yup, so maybe more than one word but you get the point...lol....
    "The soul takes flight to the world that is invisible, but there arriving she is sure of bliss and forever dwells in paradise." - Plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast